Cycle paths / Yield and Stop signs

Jbr

On another note, as I was driving to the office this morning in my bakkie, I nearly got stepped on by a very large tipper truck. The 'driver' of said vehicle took a 90 degree left turn and in doing so caught some eye-candy (for him at least...) and in the process of rubber-necking managed to understeer into the corner straight into my lane and came straight at me.

Luckily for me there was a lane to my left as well into which I ducked, narrowly averting a complete cluster-#uck.

So for anyone driving up Berkshire blvd towards Wood in Sunningdale Parklands area, that is just another thing to be aware of...

I have no business on Berkshire, at least until someone takes my KOM there  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Fuuuck is it just me or silly season has already started and despite covid and all the idiots of this year are even more dangerous than last year?  Every year it seems worse than the previous... Maybe the idiots of next year are already there !

Edited by Jbr

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PPA is trying to inform the residents, let's see how that goes :

I have forwarded a request for some sort of communication be it via a newsletter or email to their residents, I will let you know as soon as I have feedback

Since this is about cars not yielding or creeping into oncoming traffic ill sommer post this here.

On saturday we were on our way to a friends house when we casually found ourselves at a traffic light waiting to turn right, over a double lane road with oncoming traffic.

So this woman in an Alfa with a small child on the passenger seat decides shes not gonna wait in the line of cars that all want to turn right...so she pulls a Taxi stunt and parks her car right next to the first car in the que on the outside. Right then my spidey senses were already going.

She proceeds to creep far enough into the oncoming traffic’s lane that the one lane has stop for her...and obviously the horns are going by now.

She then strips her moer and decides to go for a gap that wasnt there...because she didn't see the person in a i10 in the second lane - minding their own business - coming along. I saw this crash happening even before she went for the gap...

She turns infront of that person and gets T-boned right on the door at what i’d expect was 60-80kph where the kid was sat...

As a new parent...I was so angry.

People should actually be charged for recklessly endangering other people and children in this manner as the innocent people in this scenario had no way to protect themselves.  

Since this is about cars not yielding or creeping into oncoming traffic ill sommer post this here.

On saturday we were on our way to a friends house when we casually found ourselves at a traffic light waiting to turn right, over a double lane road with oncoming traffic.

So this woman in an Alfa with a small child on the passenger seat decides shes not gonna wait in the line of cars that all want to turn right...so she pulls a Taxi stunt and parks her car right next to the first car in the que on the outside. Right then my spidey senses were already going.

She proceeds to creep far enough into the oncoming traffic’s lane that the one lane has stop for her...and obviously the horns are going by now.
She then strips her moer and decides to go for a gap that wasnt there...because she didn't see the person in a i10 in the second lane - minding their own business - coming along. I saw this crash happening even before she went for the gap...
She turns infront of that person and gets T-boned right on the door at what i’d expect was 60-80kph where the kid was sat...

So I'm assuming the kid was badly hurt if not killed ? I have no words... and now the person who crashed into the car also has to live with it...

Edited by Jbr

So I'm assuming the kid was badly hurt if not killed ? I have no words... and now the person who crashed into the car also has to live with it...

Airbags all deployed it seemed, she was out of the car with the child even before we had our turn to go. It looked like the kid..probably 3 or 4 years old got knocked clean onto her lap. The fact that the little girl was not in a carseat is bad enough. She was already on her phone probably calling someone to defend her actions...and the man in the i10 also got out and looked fine. Another car that was right behind the i10 stopped. But yea...not sure of the actual injuries were. Imo she probably needs a stern talking to by child services/police or whoever. She not only endangered other road users’ lives, she risked killing her own child.

besides the poor kid and the drivers of the i10, what strips my moer is that that will be classified as an "accident" ... it is negligence 

ok good to hear, but doubt it was a 60-80kph crash then

Well the i10 didnt even brake, there were no tyres screeching. They were totally unsighted and presumed to have traveled at least the speed limit there. Like i said...they did not even see it coming.

It was a HEAVY impact. The i10 moved the alfa clean out of the way after its rear wheels came off the road with the initial impact. It continued on for about 30m and came to a stop next to the road.. both cars were complete write-offs. It hit the Alfa on both passenger side doors around the pillar to be a bit more specific. Maybe the slight oblique angle helped disapate the force a bit but the i10 was not trundling along in the second lane of a double lane road at 30 or 40kph on a green light that has been green for a while.

Anyway, my assumptions about injuries or whatever are just that. I just saw the cars and how it happened.

• 10 months later...

Haven't had any issues with stops in a while, but lately the cycle path between milnerton and paddocks has become a bit of a parking area...

Very anoying that EVERY SINGLE DAY for about 2 months they have been draining something from accross the cycle path in the sewers, resulting in a massive pipe going accross, forcing all the cyclists to get off, surely if this is going to last for another 6 months it's worth finding a permanent solution instead of draining everyday...

A53F9C09-71AA-426C-A861-D8A2F54633F9.jpeg.7d1fb42c22d438a4c577b49caddc07d2.jpegAlso how is this ok ? Several times a week I have to somehow make my way around a car (sometimes even police cars !!!) This one isn't too bad as he moved to the side when he saw me and I could easily ride next to it, but the other day a police car was blocking the lane 100%, had to walk around it... And you never know they might open a door as you're passing, the other day I had to yell at a guy who parked on the road (his car probably broke down) and he leaves his car and starts crossing the cycle lane without looking, I was coming at him at 40kph... 

No wonder so many of us don't even use the cycle paths anymore and just chose to ride on the roads..

Edited by Jbr

3 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Haven't had any issues with stops in a while, but lately the cycle path between milnerton and paddocks has become a bit of a parking area...

Very anoying that EVERY SINGLE DAY for about 2 months they have been draining something from accross the cycle path in the sewers, resulting in a massive pipe going accross, forcing all the cyclists to get off, surely if this is going to last for another 6 months it's worth finding a permanent solution instead of draining everyday...

A53F9C09-71AA-426C-A861-D8A2F54633F9.jpeg.7d1fb42c22d438a4c577b49caddc07d2.jpegAlso how is this ok ? Several times a week I have to somehow make my way around a car (sometimes even police cars !!!) This one isn't as bad as I didn't need to put a foot down to go around it, but still annoying.

No wonder so many of us don't even use the cycle paths anymore and just chose to ride on the roads..

Agreed they are a bit of a mare to use.