Cycle paths / Yield and Stop signs

Jbr

Mr Toyota white bakkie makes a habit of shouting ,swearing.Got my share a couple of Saturdays ago while 5 cyclists were crossing in single file,families stopping to regroup,cars coming from Blaauwberg wanting to enter ,cars exiting the complex and cars from Melkbos.He thought we should have yielded although he was 100 m away when we started to cross

Next time I am going to apologize

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

*not ?

He has a stop sign / stop marking on the road, nothing can justify going through that at full speed.

Maybe try and get council, pedal power or who can; Get them to put those million mini dome speedbumps in before the stop sign. 

There are different considerations with the interfaces between the cycle lane and the residential entrances/exits.

Exit

A driver is looking to the right for road traffic, with visibility obscured on the stop line (mainly by bushes or estate wall). He/she therefore could edge forwards into the cycle path, before looking left. This is a risk for cyclists coming from the south (often flying with the South Easter at their backs). As a cyclist and resident, in my car I look to the left as well, before edging forwards to view traffic from the right, and on my bicycle heading north I try to anticipate a car exiting on my right and assume they will not see me if there's no cars coming from the north. 

Entrance

Here I believe the onus is fully on the driver to slow down for a cyclist, as cyclists cannot see or anticipate what's coming from behind. Problem is that drivers too often underestimate a cyclist's speed and/or their own lack of speed to turn. The situation is especially problematic for cyclists and drivers heading north, as drivers cross the oncoming lane and then expect cyclists heading in the same direction on the opposite side of the oncoming lane to stop. 

Some tolerance, caution and common sense are required. Perhaps the PPA could help address tolerance - everything else is in the cyclists' hands.   

I can usually tell with a great degree of accuracy when a driver is also a cyclist. A general awareness for cyclists and other people is noticable. But when they do not cycle, then ignorance is also very evident.

But this morning, it was not a white bakkie, just a beat up white Toyota driven by a man who probably would drive his taxi the same. With total disdain for anyone else.

What gets my blood boiling though is how an estate would think that obscuring a rather busy and main thoroughfare with vegetation that puts other drivers and cyclists, and possibly joggers and walkers all at risk, for the sake of the astheatic appeal of the one or two wound up wenches on the body corporate, is acceptable.

Those bushes need to go. Both at La Paloma and Atlantic Beach.

Big Bay Beach Club is somewhat better in that cyclists and cars can generally see each other from well away, unless the drivers exiting are hell-bent on not looking left as they exit, which many seem to suffer from.

Cape Town drivers should all be banned permanently!

Jokes on you haha.

That side of town is rife with GP’er holiday homes...and it’s that time of the year again...where they move in and the locals move out...so they think they are swearing at CT drivers but they are actually swearing at their GP neighbors without knowing it LOLz.

End november. Each year..without fail. And it ends end Jan. The restaurants in big bay get busier and the people get uglier..thats how you know. ????????????

It’s rare for CT’ns to spend the holidays in CT. Easter weekend and x-mas....you are driving amongst your kind here if you are from GP.

Edited by morneS555

I can usually tell with a great degree of accuracy when a driver is also a cyclist. A general awareness for cyclists and other people is noticable. But when they do not cycle, then ignorance is also very evident.

But this morning, it was not a white bakkie, just a beat up white Toyota driven by a man who probably would drive his taxi the same. With total disdain for anyone else.

What gets my blood boiling though is how an estate would think that obscuring a rather busy and main thoroughfare with vegetation that puts other drivers and cyclists, and possibly joggers and walkers all at risk, for the sake of the astheatic appeal of the one or two wound up wenches on the body corporate, is acceptable.

Big Bay Beach Club is somewhat better in that cyclists and cars can generally see each other from well away, unless the drivers exiting are hell-bent on not looking left as they exit, which many seem to suffer from.

Looks like that is a combination of public open space 2 and public roads/parking ... take it up with the local council and traffic dept and I am certain you will be able to get them out there to clip back the vegetation!

post-5403-0-64040800-1606145593_thumb.jpg

Easiest way to tell someone is not a cyclist: “I drive a car but I also ride a bike, so.... add dumb pointless ignorant rant”

Easiest way to tell someone is not a cyclist: “I drive a car but I also ride a bike, so.... add dumb pointless ignorant rant”

I saw the news insert about your incident and the PPA wanting to make something of it. Perhaps now is the time to take them up on their offer of making our roads safer. Sorry that you had to go through that, but thanks that now it seems some progress is possible.

Sadly cutting back some bushes isn't going to make the type of person who rolls through a stop street only to expect other road users to yield for them less of a jackass.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Sadly cutting back some bushes isn't going to make the type of person who rolls through a stop street only to expect other road users to yield for them less of a jackass.

Perhaps, but it will definitely permit cyclists to see the jackass approaching, allowing them sufficient time to take appropriate action to avoid getting run over. As it stands at present, the La Paloma exit especially is a complete blind approach when heading north. If the first 20 meters of vegetation is trimmed down it will make things better for sure.

Jackasses will remain jackasses, but cyclists at least will be able to ride defensively and enjoy their ride more as a result.

How difficult can it be to get the same boards up that are on the same cycle lane around sunset beach? Those ones that say something along the lines of “ give way to cyclist/pedestrians” there by the filling station. They built the lane but left all the signage out lol.

once you guys have figured out how to get drivers and cyclists to read and understand street signs down there. Can you send us a guide for dummies to apply it up here in GP?

Sadly, nothing will help you folks living in GP. You choose that of your own volition... :whistling:

once you guys have figured out how to get drivers and cyclists to read and understand street signs down there. Can you send us a guide for dummies to apply it up here in GP?

Eternal optimist .... :)

I think some people get road rage when they get in a car .... and some lose basic sensibilty when putting on a helmet ....

Live and let live .... and PAY ATTENTION when driving and cycling ....

And as long as steel hurts us ... as cyclists we best try to pre-empt stupid and absent minded behaviour from drivers ....

• 3 weeks later...