99er Cycle Tour

bleedToWin

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Big JD said:

Updated seeding for Argus, taking into account the 99er,  is available if you check Racetec.

Ahahahahaha, 99er bumped me from 2B to 1C. Wow. 

15 hours ago, ouzo said:

The old Hyper to Hyper Fast one up here used to be like that. 50 - 100 guys in a group cruising at 40km/h and up.

Still my best time for a 100km event at 2h47, only 15minutes shy of the winning time that day.

But I'm older now and there is no way I can wheelsuck at those speeds in big groups like that anymore. Add to the fact that the roads were not in the best shape then either.

That race had the right nickname, "The Fast One"

I was crazy enough to try my hand at "racing" with the Vets for a year or two in the early 2000's. Needles to say that Mighty Mouse and the Beneke's and kie ripped my legs off. One year our average in the first hour was just short of 50km/h. If memory serves me right, I finished around 2:30 that day, still way behind the winners. But it was exhilarating. These days if I can ave 30km/h I'm cuffed. 

Edited by Wannabe

39 minutes ago, Wannabe said:

That race had the right nickname, "The Fast One"

I was crazy enough to try my hand at "racing" with the Vets for a year or two in the early 2000's. Needles to say that Mighty Mouse and the Beneke's and kie ripped my legs off. One year our average in the first hour was just short of 50km/h. If memory serves me right, I finished around 2:30 that day, still way behind the winners. But it was exhilarating. These days if I can ave 30km/h I'm cuffed. 

That race still accounts for some of my fastest records.

Fastest 100km.

Fastest speed on a bike.

Even as a weekend warrior our first half average would sit at low to mid 40s. If only I was fit enough to not blow at around the 60km mark each year I'd have even better times.

Another thing that race also had was heat. I remember one year meeting the family at a near by PnP after the race and my cleats were sinking into the tar it was so hot.

Also the race where I met my wife.

29 minutes ago, ouzo said:

Fastest 100km.

Fastest speed on a bike.

Even as a weekend warrior our first half average would sit at low to mid 40s. If only I was fit enough to not blow at around the 60km mark each year I'd have even better times.

Another thing that race also had was heat. I remember one year meeting the family at a near by PnP after the race and my cleats were sinking into the tar it was so hot.

She was that hot?

43 minutes ago, ouzo said:

Fastest 100km.

Fastest speed on a bike.

I have once also had the cleat sink into the tar, it was a recent pour on the Friday, the Saturday I round home at around 1pm and put my foot down and it just sank. I still see the cleat hole when I ride past it. 

• 7 months later...

Let's hope not, but haven't been that side in a while, were the roads fixed ? if I remember correctly the problem was the road condition close to meerendal?

My gut feel is they will go for the same route again. Van Schoorsdrift in a terrible condition, organisers wont get permission for the N7 from Philadelphia again and Meerendal still not fixed (afaik)

4 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

My gut feel is they will go for the same route again. Van Schoorsdrift in a terrible condition, organisers wont get permission for the N7 from Philadelphia again and Meerendal still not fixed (afaik)

Ok, then it will be Flat and Fast again. 

Hard to split the group with no real climb in it. 

• 4 months later...

Thread revival ....

Any idea of the number of start groups, seeding, starting times, etc ?  I got my email with my starting time, just wondering where it fits in the bigger scheme of things ....

@MORNE  sien ek daar ?

Any other Hubbers ?

16 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Thread revival ....

Any idea of the number of start groups, seeding, starting times, etc ?  I got my email with my starting time, just wondering where it fits in the bigger scheme of things ....

@MORNE  sien ek daar ?

Any other Hubbers ?

https://99er.co.za/race-info/#route

Scroll down for times.