99er Cycle Tour

bleedToWin

13 Feb 2021

While I'm ecstatic to see some of the staple races finding their ways onto our calendars, I find this roll through start idea quite disappointing and I'm still confused as to how they envision this to work. With bunch riding and group dynamics being core to road racing, choosing when and how to start in this format will play a huge tactical role. The only smart thing to do is congregate at the start before your window opens so that you can tactically choose when to start since first to start gets penalised in time, but strong riders might get away, while at the same time a strong group that delays their start can get a huge advantage after closing the gap and then just sitting in. 

From their website:

The Start

• There will be no starting chutes or holding chutes as per normal. We will adopt a policy of “Start to Ride and Finish to Leave”. What does this mean for you?
    • You will receive a start time with a window period of 15 min before and after your start time.
    • Please do not congregate at the Racecourse and rather stay at your car until just before your start window period.
    • You need to ensure that you cross the start line in Bowlers Road (Racetec timing mats) next to the Bowling Club within this start window.
    • Starting outside of this start window is not allowed and will result in your time not being used for seeding purposes.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Think I'll pass.. This is not road racing

Is that Winelands/Paarl race also like this?

I know Durbie Dash is coming up in Feb, if they also opt for this starting setup I'll stick to mtbing this summer.

Winelands seems to have normal bunches, and some post race vibes as per normal.

lets see how that plays out.

The first XCO of the season is also on the 13th february so I'll probably be there rather than throw myself into the donkey train that the 99er will end being. The window they're referring to appears to be 30min (15min either side of your scheduled start time) so I bet lots of G riders will be hanging about waiting for the A's, B's and C's to start...

There won't be social distancing thats for sure. This start procedure just covers the organisers 

I'm not too worried about the start methodology, think most groups will sort themselves out on the way to the top of Vissershok?

There isn't much on the calendar currently, think I'll definitely line up for this one.

I was disappointed for a second that the wife planned a nice weekend away in Cederberg with friends that weekend... now I'm not anymore ;)

So many other races planned around it anyways, it's going to be a good start for 2021, guys better not go too heavy on the Xmas meals ;)

Edited by Jbr

I'm not too worried about the start methodology, think most groups will sort themselves out on the way to the top of Vissershok?

Assuming "start times" are 3min apart, then the first group could decide to all wait till 10min after start time (5 min before window closes) and then the first 8 groups can all start together...

Organisers running around shouting at people to start already and not congregate trying to fix the mess of a start they created...

46745803.jpg

Edited by bleedToWin

I was disappointed for a second that the wife planned a nice weekend away in Cederberg with friends that weekend... now I'm not anymore ;)

So many other races planned around it anyways, it's going to be a good start for 2021, guys better not go too heavy on the Xmas meals ;)

Given that Argus seeding is irrelevant for 2021 I think I will re-arrange my start of the year cycling calendar and do 1 or 2 events I normally not get around to.

Looks like its turning into a whole bunch of mini DC's TTT and see who wins at end of day, can be rad!

I made the comment the other day ... perhaps dc style ttt's should be the new normal.