99er Cycle Tour

bleedToWin

3 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

In terms of the Argus? This would be my seeding.

Not necessarily. Your Index is the main value that is considered so you PPA seeding wouldn't be the main driver here.

In a PPA event ,e,g, Tour De PPA, your PPA seedign would be you minimum group starting position as a paid up PPA member. So lets say for E.g. PPA has 100 riders eligible for an B Batch start where a group of 150 is catered for. They would fill that start batch firstly with their eligible paid up members then use the non members Racetec seeding to fill in the other 50 positions,

For Cycle tour, due to the national nature of the event they will fill groups using an Index range allocation e.g. riders with index 1-8 + Racing license and not an age grouper go into Racing Elites,

9-14.99 into age groups, 15 -18  into A, 19 -21 into B etc etc (example only so don't come back with "but my index is 16.128 and I was in A does that mean....." kind of questions. Race office will apply their filter and I don't what it will be in 2023 since    I don't work there :)

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

Are they not the same seeding?

Yes, the index number is the same if both websites use the latest race results. However the PPA also  includes a seeding letter under a header "Eligibility". I suspect Racetec will update their seedings in the next few days as one of the reasons for seeding is to make races safer if riders of similar strength and ability are grouped together.

If you can't wait, then join the PPA! The membership rates are very reasonable considering the work they do to keep us cyclists safe.

R100 for individual membership and R150 for a family membership.

https://pedalpower.org.za/membership-options/

I am not in any way affiliated to the PPA, other than being a paid member.

5 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

out of interest sake I jumped onto Racetec earlier to see my seeding, I see they are using my 2022 947 as part of my seeding. I see my 2021 947 is listed under unused events. 

Not sure if this will be used for CTCT though.

Oh - I see it now on my seeding list as well! I wonder if Finish Time & Racetec have some kind of information share arrangement.

What I have seen recent years is that the CTCT organisers also use non-official seeding events with a small penalty for CTCT seeding, so they might very well use that if its your best result.

5 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Oh - I see it now on my seeding list as well! I wonder if Finish Time & Racetec have some kind of information share arrangement.

What I have seen recent years is that the CTCT organisers also use non-official seeding events with a small penalty for CTCT seeding, so they might very well use that if its your best result.

I also see they give 947  a higher beta than CTCT, meaning they rate it as harder. 

4 hours ago, NicholasH said:

Hi. Point taken re the medal table 🙂 We can def consider moving it.

There seems to confusion as to where the "end" is. Our definition of the end is at the timing mat on Odendaal and we def had coke, etc there. However, there is a perception that the end is at the racecourse where the medals are collected and, no, we did not cater for coke there. Our rationale being that the cyclists would want to have  drink right there after the race. If they require additional fluids this can be purchased at the venue

thanks for your valuable input!

No I asked at the finish line (odendal) as u turn left. The youngster said there is no coke but not a train smash. The event was well organized 👌 

1 minute ago, RRIBike said:

No I asked at the finish line (odendal) as u turn left. The youngster said there is no coke but not a train smash. The event was well organized 👌 

Yes, 100%, that is the right place. Seems we had some confusion of this. We def had coke there. Cannot understand why the youngster would say otherwise. Truly sorry about. We will make that we have better communication on that next year. Hope you join us again 🙂 

2 minutes ago, NicholasH said:

Yes, 100%, that is the right place. Seems we had some confusion of this. We def had coke there. Cannot understand why the youngster would say otherwise. Truly sorry about. We will make that we have better communication on that next year. Hope you join us again 🙂 

Definitely back next year, will have an extra cup to make up for this year😅

2 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

out of interest sake I jumped onto Racetec earlier to see my seeding, I see they are using my 2022 947 as part of my seeding. I see my 2021 947 is listed under unused events. 

Not sure if this will be used for CTCT though.

Nope , too old so penalty will be high

Racetec is not willing to add my time to the result list, stating the "no chip no time" rule.

I think this is very unfortunate that they adopt such a harsh and uncompromising stance.

Edited by Wannabe
Spelling corrected.

I rode in the B bunch and MAN I was shocked at how little people feel for cycling across the white line. No wind, no gutter, slow speeds and people put their own lives and the others at risk. Special mention must go to Francois from Manic Cycles. I know him as a fairly decent chap, but racing as far as possible to the front on the downhills - squeezing in and then dropping back on the hills - not cool. As I know him and not shy I did ask him (politely) to ride sensibly and he told me to go fly a kite.  It got progressively worse towards the end and I even saw a youngster punch a old toppie in the face/helmet. Not the race organisors fault and I felt so bad for bike marshall.  I am very glad to read that the other groups were better, guess it was just one of those days.

I would really love the organisors ban the white line crossers. Not a new problem, but a really big issue and would only be resolved if cyclist know it results in immediate disqualification. It is dangerous, irresponsible, drag our sports name through the mud and and accident due to this with a vehicle will probably have races banned.

Only other issue is the e-bikes joining normal groups. Nothing against ebikes, but you cannot cycle in the same groups, the whole idea of seeding is to group people of similar abilities. Having ebikes in the groups can really do a number on groups catching each other and a myriad of other issues.

Lastly we had a guy with TT bars in the group - this is something every marshall should be aware of and a person cannot ride in a bunch with TT bars.

Vent over - Enjoyed the event, as I always do, well organised and have everything you would want from a road event. Also couldn't find coke at the end, which would have been nice, but not a train smash.

47 minutes ago, FanieFiets said:

I rode in the B bunch and MAN I was shocked at how little people feel for cycling across the white line. No wind, no gutter, slow speeds and people put their own lives and the others at risk. Special mention must go to Francois from Manic Cycles. I know him as a fairly decent chap, but racing as far as possible to the front on the downhills - squeezing in and then dropping back on the hills - not cool. As I know him and not shy I did ask him (politely) to ride sensibly and he told me to go fly a kite.  It got progressively worse towards the end and I even saw a youngster punch a old toppie in the face/helmet. Not the race organisors fault and I felt so bad for bike marshall.  I am very glad to read that the other groups were better, guess it was just one of those days.

I would really love the organisors ban the white line crossers. Not a new problem, but a really big issue and would only be resolved if cyclist know it results in immediate disqualification. It is dangerous, irresponsible, drag our sports name through the mud and and accident due to this with a vehicle will probably have races banned.

Only other issue is the e-bikes joining normal groups. Nothing against ebikes, but you cannot cycle in the same groups, the whole idea of seeding is to group people of similar abilities. Having ebikes in the groups can really do a number on groups catching each other and a myriad of other issues.

Lastly we had a guy with TT bars in the group - this is something every marshall should be aware of and a person cannot ride in a bunch with TT bars.

Vent over - Enjoyed the event, as I always do, well organised and have everything you would want from a road event. Also couldn't find coke at the end, which would have been nice, but not a train smash.

Good post but I will note that riding to the front on descents then dropping back in climbs is a legitimate strategy used by heavier riders. It’s up to the riders to animate the race. This is where tactics plays a role. So rant against Francois is a bit harsh, actually very harsh since you’re calling him out. 
mother points I agree with

1 hour ago, FanieFiets said:

I also noted this and was curious, surely this should not be allowed?

1 hour ago, FanieFiets said:

I do get that it’s annoying when people don’t take turns up front but people are allowed to ride how they want. If they wanna drop to the back of the group then they’re entitled to do that. As long as they’re not endangering anyone I don’t really see an issue. You can’t exactly call him out on something like that. 

I had a similar in issue in G group. Four guys got away and unfortunately I didn’t realise as the group was too large. When I did finally spot them in the distance, I immediately tried to close them down. After a few km’s of trying and no one offering any help i gave up the chase. For the next 60km’s, it was just me and this other guy pulling the whole group. A couple of guys took a few turns here and there but it was so frustrating given the size of the group and everyone just wanting a free ride. Regardless, you just have to accept it and move on. Can’t call anyone out on it. 

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

Good post but I will note that riding to the front on descents then dropping back in climbs is a legitimate strategy used by heavier riders. It’s up to the riders to animate the race. This is where tactics plays a role. So rant against Francois is a bit harsh, actually very harsh since you’re calling him out. 
mother points I agree with

Agreed, I weigh north of 80kgs. In a  race especially, it takes alot for me to get up the drags/uphill and on the descents I really do not want to be braking at all. Adding to my weight I've got a lovely set of 50mm Aero wheels with ceramic bearings and a lovely Aero road bike, I literally freewheel past so many guys pedalling on the downhills who are the lighter okes who can climb on the front, I do this on the right hand side of the bunch or off the front of the bunch so I dont have to brake at all, and then when the road goes uphill again, naturally I slide back down toward midpack as gravity always wins and I'm not gonna put myself into the red zone on ever climb just to stay on the front. 

There's nothing wrong with guys using this tactic, it's literally a tactic used at all levels of cycling. I guess as long as he doesn't endanger anybody whilst doing so, There's nothing wrong with it... 

Edited by FootballingCyclist

"Good post but I will note that riding to the front on descents then dropping back in climbs is a legitimate strategy used by heavier riders. It’s up to the riders to animate the race. This is where tactics plays a role. So rant against Francois is a bit harsh, actually very harsh since you’re calling him out. 
mother points I agree with"

few of us are getting thinner or faster as we get older...we have to try somehow...

No problem to 'sag' ride...hell I try my best to do it. Riding on the wrong side of the road, having incoming traffic pull off to the side of the road is a helluva problem in my book. Sorry if wasn't clear about the specifics.