99er Cycle Tour

bleedToWin

As I forgot my Timing Chip at home (only realised it after the beeping started as we went over the Start Mats), I phoned Racetec this morning, and curtly got told "No Chip, no Time". No amount of explaining helped (even got asked if it was my first race, and that I should have remembered my chip 🤬)

Sent them an e-mail, hope that helps, but the person I spoke to basically told me there is no chance. 

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PPA (or the system atleast) has me seeded in G, I was C I think for last years CTCT.

Anyway, Started in F, Went to the front from the start hoping to split the group out of Durbanville toward Fisantekraal and take with a few guys who were keen on riding a good time for seeding purposes. Not putting in any really hard meaningful attacks, I was hoping that the close to 40km/h average speed up till the turn left at the fruit sellers would have done some damage, but as we turned left it looked like it hadn't. Had a handful of guys and a lady assist in keeping us at around a 39km/h+ for the better part of the 1st half of the race but always the same faces appearing infront. G caught us somewhere before the left turn toward Kalbaskraal and everyone seemed to just accept that it was going to be 1 big coffee ride till the end. Then at 90kms after spending most of the time of the front my stomach started giving me issues after being sick with the bug last week (add to this I only had 3hrs sleep on Fri night and no breakfast due to loadshedding when I woke up), I then started getting stomach cramps which have never ever happened to me before, I Couldn't eat and couldn't drink and started to feel weak in the last few kms and watched the bunch ride away on the last drag up Adderley and rolled up Odendaal all on my ace about 4mins or so behind the rest of the bunch

I must commend all the marshalls on the day, They all did a splendid job. I also feel for asnyone who was out on the road after 9 because I finished around 9:30 and it was already 34deg. My 1 buddy who was a marshall says he thinks they called the race not too long after because of the heat.

All in all, rubber side stayed down, so a "successful" day out I guess.

13 minutes ago, Wannabe said:

As I forgot my Timing Chip at home (only realised it after the beeping started as we went over the Start Mats), I phoned Racetec this morning, and curtly got told "No Chip, no Time". No amount of explaining helped (even got asked if it was my first race, and that I should have remembered my chip 🤬)

Sent them an e-mail, hope that helps, but the person I spoke to basically told me there is no chance. 

I've had this before with a previous race, mistakenly took the wrong chip. It happens. Also got the initially to bad so sad response. Very poor form from them.

Cant remember how I got it resolved though. 

17 minutes ago, Wannabe said:

a guy a rode with, also forgot his chip. He went immediately after the race to racetec gazebo and told the guy. They took down his race number and garmin time, I am not sure if they loaded it though

13 minutes ago, RRIBike said:

a guy a rode with, also forgot his chip. He went immediately after the race to racetec gazebo and told the guy. They took down his race number and garmin time, I am not sure if they loaded it though

I did not go through to the Racecourse after I finished, as I never collect medals or anything like that (and it is mostly downhill from the finish to my house, which in that heat did a lot to resolve my decision to head home) In hindsight, that might have helped in resolving my issue.

1 hour ago, RRIBike said:

Very well organized race, a pity there wasnt coke at the finish line

But there was copious amounts of Energade and cold H2O. I gave my bottle to a chap at the first table, expecting to get only a small amount of Energade, but he filled it up to the brim, and asked if I wanted some water. He filled my second bottle with ice and water, all with a great big smile.

Must say, this was a good move, as it is 6km from the finish to my home, and both those bottles were empty by the time I got home.

That was a fun morning out on the bike 🤙 It's been a very long time since I turned up at a funride and I was pleasantly surprised at how well organized this race was. Kudo's to the race organizers, marshals and helpers who braved that heat and still had smiles on their faces, even at midday in that heat.

I decided to dust off the classic Bridgestone Radac for the event. For those old enough to remember, these are the bikes that the Southern Sun Mnet Team used to race in the 90's, with their star riders being the legendary Willie Engelbrecht & Andrew McLean. Needless to say, the bike was perfect for the rolling route, even with 13-25 ratio at the back and 39-52 up front I had no hassles... except up Odendals of course. I'm very grateful the finish was only halfway up that drag 😄

I started in Q because I no longer have a seeding worth mentioning and very quickly realized that there's no such thing as bunches back there and the riders do the craziest of things at random times... like sprinting off the front and trying to catch a Triathlete out on his TT bike who blew past us at 1000 miles per hour 😄 Then look around and ask who's going to help chase... wtf 🙃

So for most of the ride myself and a friend were sitting on the front (more him than me) and bunch hopping. At the last water my legs finally cried enough and last 20km's were pretty much done in survival mode.

Great day out though, I might even do another one soon 😊

Radac 2.JPG

SS Mnet.jpg

47 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

PPA (or the system atleast) has me seeded in G, I was C I think for last years CTCT.

Anyway, Started in F, Went to the front from the start hoping to split the group out of Durbanville toward Fisantekraal and take with a few guys who were keen on riding a good time for seeding purposes. Not putting in any really hard meaningful attacks, I was hoping that the close to 40km/h average speed up till the turn left at the fruit sellers would have done some damage, but as we turned left it looked like it hadn't. Had a handful of guys and a lady assist in keeping us at around a 39km/h+ for the better part of the 1st half of the race but always the same faces appearing infront. G caught us somewhere before the left turn toward Kalbaskraal and everyone seemed to just accept that it was going to be 1 big coffee ride till the end. Then at 90kms after spending most of the time of the front my stomach started giving me issues after being sick with the bug last week (add to this I only had 3hrs sleep on Fri night and no breakfast due to loadshedding when I woke up), I then started getting stomach cramps which have never ever happened to me before, I Couldn't eat and couldn't drink and started to feel weak in the last few kms and watched the bunch ride away on the last drag up Adderley and rolled up Odendaal all on my ace about 4mins or so behind the rest of the bunch

I must commend all the marshalls on the day, They all did a splendid job. I also feel for asnyone who was out on the road after 9 because I finished around 9:30 and it was already 34deg. My 1 buddy who was a marshall says he thinks they called the race not too long after because of the heat.

I was part of G that caught up, the first 40 km's we also averaged about 40km's then at some point a guy from $ helped a handful of G to bridge across and I think a couple of G managed to bridge across shortly after.

1 hour ago, Wannabe said:

This is where Stwava is your fwiend …

<python fans will get it>

31 minutes ago, Newbie321 said:

I was part of G that caught up, the first 40 km's we also averaged about 40km's then at some point a guy from $ helped a handful of G to bridge across and I think a couple of G managed to bridge across shortly after.

I remember seeing 1 guy with a $ number in Food Lovers Market kit and normal prescription glasses at around the 45km mark or so, 70kms in or so he was riding closer to the front, so I thought, well here is some help to the finish, he slowly dropped back before the right turn onto Adderley, Then on Adderley as those slight rollers began, He comes past holding the pocket of a lady who was riding a road E-Bike, He let go on the downhill part then as it kicked up again, He grabbed on again, on the flats I could see he was struggling though. Seems I need to get a mate with an E-Bike to ride with me and literally tow me up the hills too...

6 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

I remember seeing 1 guy with a $ number in Food Lovers Market kit and normal prescription glasses at around the 45km mark or so, 70kms in or so he was riding closer to the front, so I thought, well here is some help to the finish, he slowly dropped back before the right turn onto Adderley, Then on Adderley as those slight rollers began, He comes past holding the pocket of a lady who was riding a road E-Bike, He let go on the downhill part then as it kicked up again, He grabbed on again, on the flats I could see he was struggling though. Seems I need to get a mate with an E-Bike to ride with me and literally tow me up the hills too...

Hiehie .... will teach you for blasting past me .... :P

Between Kalbas and Philladelphia many a lone rider was hiding in my slip into the light wind.  None tried to grab on during the climbs though .....

1 hour ago, FootballingCyclist said:

That sucks how your race ended, all and all it was a good coffee ride?

I was in the same group, definitely part of the guilty few that enjoyed the coffee ride. I took a turn in front just before the R304 and R302 crossing but realized very quickly that the majority of the group was keen on a coffee ride so decided to rather keep something in the tank for the last 5km. 

I was shocked as well seeing a few E bikes in the group that dragged the group the last few kms 

7 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

No the $ guy I was thinking about had a white shirt, think he dropped at some point because after we made it to F I never saw him again, don't get me started on those foodlovers guys and the e-bike. The e-bike actually ruined some of the racing because he kept closing gaps

So my 99er experience was shortlived 

Started in E having not doing many races other than CTCT and regular Killarney. 

High speed crash at 36km on the R304. Could see the accident about to happen as someone came across my front wheel. The rest I don't remember 

4 of us in the ambulance taken to durbanville medi clinic. 2 fractured collarbone, and hip with bad road rash . I came of the lightest nothing broken but bad bruising. 

The response time of the ambulance was pretty quick 3 -4min 

Our bikes were tagged and taken back  to the  start where a friend collected 

WELL DONEcl   to the organisers for the quick response to an accident. 

Time to recover now and heal, road rash not pleasant at all. My first big accident after many years of cycling. 

Cracked frame and damage but thankful it wasn't worse. 

Why we cycle 

23 minutes ago, Tjommie said:

High speed crash at 36km on the R304. Could see the accident about to happen as someone came across my front wheel. The rest I don't remember 

4 of us in the ambulance taken to durbanville medi clinic. 2 fractured collarbone, and hip with bad road rash . I came of the lightest nothing broken but bad bruising. 

Time to recover now and heal, road rash not pleasant at all. My first big accident after many years of cycling. 

Why we cycle 

Jeepers I was in E and didn't hear a thing. Sorry to hear about it!!

21 minutes ago, Tjommie said:

Why we cycle 

Speedy recovery, mate. I saw the ambulance there as I came past in G group.

I seem to have missed a couple of close scares myself in that first 30km. People have no bunch riding skills the lower down the groups you go which irritates the hell outta me. Just ended up right in the front of the bunch for the rest of the race. Much safe towards the front.