99er Cycle Tour

bleedToWin

At 67km.mark I had.a puncture.no tube.on me..my group D, that pulled in C and was eyeing B at that time just wisked away into the distance (pic uploaded)..in that time waiting for some assistnce, 4 groups and some stragglers came past. A Marshal pulled over and he called for a sweeper and thereafter one.of the riders, after what seemed like an eternity of waiting, called out if I needed help, pulled over and offered me a tube and assistance. His name.is CHRIS,.he pulled a hammy and all he was doing is to finish but thanks to him I could finish with no intention of recording my time. I already consoled myself that my race was done for me. My post is dedicated to Chris (i did not get his number), if I can meet you then I would like to thank your in-person and hand over a gift, so.if by chance you that guy then DM me and we can hook up...you a super human being! Some clips posted while I basked in the sun...waiting for Chris to show up. ENJOY.

20230211_080456.jpg.a437939c6aba7e5c25fe68a21fde340e.jpg

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

I dont know how the seeding system had me starting in A-batch .... but it was an interesting experience all the same.  Racetech says I managed an average of 31.08 km/h and a 2:73 :P, which I am super happy with.  Improved my previous 40km record by 2 minutes !  And yet I am barely in the top half of my age group, and just missed out on the first half in the overall.  There clearly are MANY strong riders out there :thumbup:  But there are also MANY fun riders out there enjoying these events, and taking a LOT longer to get to the finish line, good for them.

My guess your top 20 finish in the vines & views race - seems they dont take into account that it was on an e-bike

Vines & Views also bumped up my seeding more than any road race I did in 2022

3 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

My guess your top 20 finish in the vines & views race - seems they dont take into account that it was on an e-bike

Vines & Views also bumped up my seeding more than any road race I did in 2022

Did not even think about V&V.

I certainly was registered as an ebike.

I stopped 3 or 4 times to help stricken riders, so actually had a very bad time.

Had a look at RaceTec .... 1 was an hour after the winner at V&V.

O.well ... at least I got to see what it is like at the front. 😋

Much prefer the "gees" towards the end ....

Then again, the early start saved me from the heat of the day 👍

12 hours ago, TCTG said:

At 67km.mark I had.a puncture.no tube.on me..my group D, that pulled in C and was eyeing B at that time just wisked away into the distance (pic uploaded)..in that time waiting for some assistnce, 4 groups and some stragglers came past. A Marshal pulled over and he called for a sweeper and thereafter one.of the riders, after what seemed like an eternity of waiting, called out if I needed help, pulled over and offered me a tube and assistance. His name.is CHRIS,.he pulled a hammy and all he was doing is to finish but thanks to him I could finish with no intention of recording my time. I already consoled myself that my race was done for me. My post is dedicated to Chris (i did not get his number), if I can meet you then I would like to thank your in-person and hand over a gift, so.if by chance you that guy then DM me and we can hook up...you a super human being! Some clips posted while I basked in the sun...waiting for Chris to show up. ENJOY.

Pretty sure I slowed down and asked if you were okay.

The motorcyle was helping with a puncture just on the otherside of the koppie, where your videos start.

About 2km further there was another motorcyclist, also helping with a puncture.  I asked that he ride back to assist you.

Couple more riders with punctures along that stretch ....

Edited by ChrisF

I was very impressed with the marshalling, we had a car in front of the group with hazards on and a motorbike that was ensuring on coming cars gave us space and assisted cars from behind over take when it was safe. Definitely the safest I’ve felt in a race on open roads. 

43 minutes ago, Jono said:

I was very impressed with the marshalling, we had a car in front of the group with hazards on and a motorbike that was ensuring on coming cars gave us space and assisted cars from behind over take when it was safe. Definitely the safest I’ve felt in a race on open roads. 

Ja the whole event was super well organised. Some events you arrive and sort of mill around wondering where you should be ... This one a bit like being at primary school. Friendly people telling you exactly where to be and when. Loved it!

And as you say, marshalling on the road was very very good.

12 hours ago, TCTG said:

Thanks for the footage! I'm pulling 3rd from the front with 2 other guys in the vid where the motorcycle is pulling over. Remeber seeing you stranded, but I figured you'd get the help you need from there.. I never go on training rides with a spare tube,silly, but I run tubeless so have never really got stuck - but in events always carry spares.. Sorry that your race didn't go as planned!! 

4 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Pretty sure I slowed down and asked if you were okay.

The motorcyle was helping with a puncture just on the otherside of the koppie, where your videos start.

About 2km further there was another motorcyclist, also helping with a puncture.  I asked that he ride back to assist you.

Couple more riders with punctures along that stretch ....

This guy called out if I needed help because at that time I was just waiting for the sweeper van to arrive. He said he pulled a hammy and he previously mentioned that it took 3 years for his hammy to heal. Not sure if thats you but no motorbike guy assisted,  except to radio in but that was way before this Chris arrived on the scene.

Edited by TCTG

55 minutes ago, RochyB said:

Thanks for the footage! I'm pulling 3rd from the front with 2 other guys in the vid where the motorcycle is pulling over. Remeber seeing you stranded, but I figured you'd get the help you need from there.. I never go on training rides with a spare tube,silly, but I run tubeless so have never really got stuck - but in events always carry spares.. Sorry that your race didn't go as planned!! 

Yes, its a call you make and live with the outcome. Today I had another puncture...this time in front and I had spares but I realized now that these Pzeros tyres are no good. Soft compound and any sharpish object penetrates the tyre..a tyre I will not purchase in a hurry again. Glad you liked the vid...

My one and only opportunity to put a number on my back this summer - the Gryphon 99er:

Started in D, dreaming about bumping up my seeding back from PPA's E rating. Coming off a week of no training with tons of work pressure. It took a bit of vasbyt to get into the saddle on Saturday morning and go for that pre-race workout. My race strategy was to sit in the wheels and combine with a few others and create a split on the final rollers in the last 5 kms.

Massive high 5s to the B seeded roleur in black kit and Bontrager lid who took the wind with a few others and managed to help D bunch join up with C bunch just before Malmesbury, and C-D bunch maintained its momentum to reel in B bunch on Adderley Rd. 

I moved to the front and joined the front of the split that was forced at the pinch point of the Oppikoppie kicker. My mental fatigue really kicked in now after enduring that nuclear week in the world of work and I had to dig deep, hey. Stuck on like a desperate bubble gum blob on a blanket and eventually went into time trial mode as we entered Durbanville. 

I was relatively fresh as my HR graph shows (combined with the effect of the heat) Quite a distribution or a 51 year old, ja nee, especially in the higher ranges. My power graph also looked lekka warm.

Thank you to the organisers, the motorbike marshals rocked and to the volunteers & school kids for their time and effort on a blerrie hot day. Respect!

Screen Shot 2023-02-11 at 11.21.05-1.png

1 hour ago, TCTG said:

This guy called out if I needed help because at that time I was just waiting for the sweeper van to arrive. He said he pulled a hammy and he previously mentioned that it took 3 years for his hammy to heal. Not sure if thats you but no motorbike guy assisted,  except to radio in but that was way before this Chris arrived on the scene.

Nope, hammy fine 👍

On 2/11/2023 at 9:31 PM, ChrisF said:

Did not even think about V&V.

I certainly was registered as an ebike.

I stopped 3 or 4 times to help stricken riders, so actually had a very bad time.

Had a look at RaceTec .... 1 was an hour after the winner at V&V.

O.well ... at least I got to see what it is like at the front. 😋

Much prefer the "gees" towards the end ....

Then again, the early start saved me from the heat of the day 👍

You actually don't have to guess where your seeding comes from 😏

http://results.racetec.co.za/findme.aspx?ss=4

Glad durbie dash gave me a good enough (I hope) seeding for CTCT, don't think it's worth asking for a manual seeding after finishing 3 mins later than the best time at 99er.

Silly since this was my best result yet at a road race ;)

32 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Glad durbie dash gave me a good enough (I hope) seeding for CTCT, don't think it's worth asking for a manual seeding after finishing 3 mins later than the best time at 99er.

Silly since this was my best result yet at a road race ;)

Mine too. I'm putting it down to my new aero socks.