Numb toes - need advice on shoes

DMJ

Im with Eddy on this. You could nerve damage from old sports injuries etc. Rather be safe and get it checked out. New shoes might make it better but doesnt actually solve the problem. Get to the root cause. Iv currently got the same issue but with my hand. Doing a proper bike fit tomorrow (again) and seeing Dr next week.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lake make an excellent shoe for wide feet. 

I have been struggling with numb feet when cycling for more than 3 hours. Once I switched to Lake shoes it changed everything. 

My feet don't even get cold when the temps drop to below freezing as blood is circulating. As long as I wear merino wool socks and a good overshoe alls well. 

Another vote for Lakes. They sell them in multiple different widths at many different price points. Sizing up as mentioned above is a terrible idea. You can also get the Lake mouldable soles if you want that “custom” fit - similar to the Bonts.

There’s lots of good information here:

Another vote for Lakes. They sell them in multiple different widths at many different price points. Sizing up as mentioned above is a terrible idea. You can also get the Lake mouldable soles if you want that “custom” fit - similar to the Bonts.

There’s lots of good information here: https://youtu.be/2ksO6iIZbhg

Thanks, Interesting info on the Specialized shoes...did not know that!!

I suffered from the same issues as the OP. In addition to that, I made the atrocious "size up" mistake to try and eradicate the width issue however, we all know the terrible outcome that this brings about...

Subsequently had some measurements taken at a Lake agent and since purchasing a pair of CX 332's for the road and MX 332's for MTB, never looked back. To be fair, I initially thought the shoes are k@k expensive however, not having to go for frequent feet check ups / treatment meant the shoes paid for themselves in less than a year and above all, my love for cycling was properly rekindled as well!

Lake offer a wide array of shoes to cater for all feet and budgets - give it a try!

I have also just been through this. Lake shoes were extremely helpful and have solved my problem.

Go to their website and use the sizing chart.They were kind enough to send me three pairs,but I should have just gone with the sizing chart as this was correct in the first place. Helpful people and great shoes.

I have also just been through this. Lake shoes were extremely helpful and have solved my problem.

Go to their website and use the sizing chart.They were kind enough to send me three pairs,but I should have just gone with the sizing chart as this was correct in the first place. Helpful people and great shoes.

I’m glad the OP started this thread.... because every time I put my cycling shoes on I curse and swear that I’m going to get rid of them and buy new ones..... man they are damn difficult to put on..... now after all the Lake recommendations to find a Lake dealer close by.

• 3 weeks later...

I was really hoping to have had this issue resolved when I replaced my very worn out 5.10s with a new pair of Ride Concepts Helion shoes. 

From the first ride I experienced hotspots and numb toes across all 5 toes on my right foot and about 2 toes on the left. At first I thought the new shoes just had to break in. I loosened the laces a lot and it helped reduce the numbness quite a bit. 

The next thing I did was replace the inner soles with the Specialized footbeds. Had the fancy machine tell me what to get and everything. First ride was fine with only a tiny tingle in my right big toe. Then things came back. Pain along the outer edge on my left foot and numb toes on the right. 

Numbness is worse on hard rides where I push more power. A chilled ride with lots of spinning seems fine. 

I'm running out of ideas here. New shoes again? I'm sure the fit is right on these. 

Another thought popped up this morning. I know saddle height and width can cause additional pressure around the hips where the sciatic nerve runs (i do have occasional sciatic discomfort after rides). I'm 99% sure my saddle height is correct. My hips stay level during the pedal stroke. Width wise my sitting bones measure around 140mm and i'm using a 142mm

Now the nose of my saddle is tilted up slightly. Can this maybe cause problems? Will level it out and see how this weekend goes.

ANY THING ELSE that you guys can add will greatly be appreciated. I'm getting really tired of rides being uncomfortable.

If the pain is along the outer edges of your feet, maybe try pedals with a bigger platform?

Already went from the Shimano Saint to Crankbrothers Stamp Large. Do you even get bigger?

Try test a concave pedal, stamps are flat, didn't work for me. I changed to DMR v12's.

I had to loosen my laces on 5 tens allot, much better.

Check socks, used thick socks once, numb toes after only 10 minutes.

Try have as little pressure around your foot, wide shoes.

If your sit bones are 140 should you not be on a 155 saddle?

Stiffer soles with less flex, 5 tens are not stiff, are the RC shoes suffer?

Try ride with normal tekkies, if the issues are less it's a step forward to deciphering everything.

DR what does your seated position on the bike look like? 

are you a little stretched on the bike?

I'm asking this because I've seen a few folk who have slightly too long a reach roll their hips forward and that this manifests in the feet but also shoulders, neck and hands.

do you have other symptoms as well?

OK, buying a shoe one size bigger is actually the worst thing you can do, the Last of the shoe changes (we call the shoe shape "The LAST") and therefor the cut in for the toes changes position a shoe size up and you create other problems.  Buying a shoe that is wide enough is you first port of call. Second to see if the Last suits your shape.  (some peoples feet go wide on the outside so they need more support there and others go wider on the inside.)

Lake Shoes are renown for the widest range of wide shoes PLUS shapes of Wide shoes.  Honestly I have 3 pairs and I can tell you that I can wiggle my toes freely because my feed spread under load in the shoe but the shoes aren't "too big".  the cut o the shoe hold my feet nicely in place but I have toe room (side to side).

Secondly you cleat positioned too closely to the front of the shoe is a major known reason for numb and hot foot syndrome.  Between these 2 things you should find a solution.  Some smart arse here will say "just try the cleats further back on your existing shoes then" but I will say, and all bike fitters will agree that a shoe that is bought one size too big is not correct. 

What Lance said.

While ago I bought Sidis for my roady rides. Started getting numb toes. Went back to my old Shimano shoes. Problem went away again. Turns out the Sidis were to narrow for my feet.

Edited by Moridin

Try test a concave pedal, stamps are flat, didn't work for me. I changed to DMR v12's.

Definitely worth a shot. Want to try out the other options like setup first before spending money on new pedals.

I had to loosen my laces on 5 tens allot, much better.

Any looser and they might fall off. Will double check anyways.

Check socks, used thick socks once, numb toes after only 10 minutes.

Will alternate between thin and thick this weekend and see. 

Try have as little pressure around your foot, wide shoes.

Shoes feel snug but not tight. 

If your sit bones are 140 should you not be on a 155 saddle?

Sorry, meant to say it measured for a 140mm saddle and I have a 142mm

Stiffer soles with less flex, 5 tens are not stiff, are the RC shoes suffer?

Definitely stiffer than what my 5tens were towards the end of their life.

Try ride with normal tekkies, if the issues are less it's a step forward to deciphering everything.

Definitely worth a shot. Bye bye shins so I'll take it easy.