Study on mask safety

Quagga

What about social distancing at the entrance, but once inside the shops it's back to normal.

I also find the air travel thing confusing. Social distance everywhere but lets all cram into the plane for a few hours.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have the same issue. As soon as the person puts their mask on and you turn, they take it off!!

TBMTBC has sent at least 4 notices wrt this.

This behaviour can have an impact on the club and trails, if we want to keep the trails then please assist by telling your fellow ridier to mask up. 

Did not quote for any reason Eddy 

I also find the air travel thing confusing. Social distance everywhere but lets all cram into the plane for a few hours.

Yeah. Makes no sense. Was on a flight late last year. Expecting perhaps something like 70% capacity. Nope. Whole flight was packed. Pretty sure those hepa filters won’t prevent anyone from catching cv if one person has it.

I read up about this, and the big difference is when you are waiting in line there is not much airflow

The moment you step on the plane there is airflow from top to bottom

Yeah. Makes no sense. Was on a flight late last year. Expecting perhaps something like 70% capacity. Nope. Whole flight was packed. Pretty sure those hepa filters won’t prevent anyone from catching cv if one person has it.

Air in the plane is not circulated from what I understand, it comes in from the top blows to the bottom and out the back.

Air in the plane is not circulated from what I understand, it comes in from the top blows to the bottom and out the back.

A bit of both. To keep it pressurized there is constantly air being pumped in via the high stage valve on the engines(this is all tied in with the air con system). Air is "dumped" via various outlets, some being as simple as every time the toilet is flushed some pressure escapes. Also door seals are not perfect and then yes there is a depressurizing valve that sits near the rear. Then naturally some of the air is recirculated for a bit before it leaves.

So yes you understand it correctly.

A bit of both. To keep it pressurized there is constantly air being pumped in via the high stage valve on the engines(this is all tied in with the air con system). Air is "dumped" via various outlets, some being as simple as every time the toilet is flushed some pressure escapes. Also door seals are not perfect and then yes there is a depressurizing valve that sits near the rear. Then naturally some of the air is recirculated for a bit before it leaves.

So yes you understand it correctly.

Apparently the risk of getting is on a plane is way less than a restaurant

This is a whole other argument.

People in SA don't respect personal space - always has been an issue. Here in Canada, many people walk around without masks. As you approach oncoming walkers, we all move apart (step into the street if necessary) and give each other room. When we wait at a robot for the light to change so we can walk across the road, people are spaced out.

I was in SA during December - people throng together, bump into each other in the shops, congregate in middle of walk ways and shopping isles to skinner.

So your disappointment in people not wearing a mask should extend to disappoint in people not respecting personal space and giving each other room. You are using poor etiquette to justify a face covering. Sort out the poor behavior, and the mask thing will be less of an issue.

I know this is an old post, nevertheless

BC had about 150 Covid deaths a day from 15 December to 15 January in a population of 5.1 million people. The Western Cape (5.8million) reported about 1200 excess deaths a week for this period (more conservative count). That is just about the same rate of death oh the rough numbers - I'd guess we have better mask etiquette and not so good healthcare. BC might do a bit better if you improve on wearing masks.

BC had about 150 Covid deaths a day from 15 December to 15 January in a population of 5.1 million people. The Western Cape (5.8million) reported about 1200 excess deaths a week for this period (more conservative count). That is just about the same rate of death oh the rough numbers - I'd guess we have better mask etiquette and not so good healthcare. BC might do a bit better if you improve on wearing masks.

I dont understand what you are saying

Where is BC?

You mentioned 150 Cov per day for 30 days and then talk about WC excess death of 1200 per week?

What does this part mean

" I'd guess we have better mask etiquette and not so good healthcare. BC might do a bit better if you improve on wearing masks."

The stats and reporting on covid cases is a joke. Take the news 24 map of cases per province. All provinces on a colour scale based straight on the number of cases per province.

Take those numbers and convert them to cases per 100 people based on provincial population estimates. Then repopulate the map and you will see WC is twice as worse off as any other province.

Then take the number of cases per province and divide it by area of province to give a cases per sq-km and GP is 10 times worse than any other province.

The portrayal of these numbers is horrible. Worse is that people don't understand them and take it at face value and base their "risk" on it.

Given the population distribution in the WC(high density areas) and the cases per 100 people it is not a pretty situation down there compared to the rest of the country, yet the news 24 map says it is on par with GP and KZN.

I hike fairly often. There are now loads more people hiking. One thing I can say is that majority of people will pull up a mask and even give a wider berth when there is space.

The stats and reporting on covid cases is a joke. Take the news 24 map of cases per province. All provinces on a colour scale based straight on the number of cases per province.

Take those numbers and convert them to cases per 100 people based on provincial population estimates. Then repopulate the map and you will see WC is twice as worse off as any other province.

Then take the number of cases per province and divide it by area of province to give a cases per sq-km and GP is 10 times worse than any other province.

The portrayal of these numbers is horrible. Worse is that people don't understand them and take it at face value and base their "risk" on it.

Given the population distribution in the WC(high density areas) and the cases per 100 people it is not a pretty situation down there compared to the rest of the country, yet the news 24 map says it is on par with GP and KZN.

May even be more "complex\convoluted" than that ....

Case per 100 000 persons type comparison is needed.

BUT, which cases do you use ?  The reported Covid deaths vary DRASTICALLY from the SA MEdical Research Council's actual death stats ....  

YES - way too many deaths in the Western Cape !!!!

BUT - if the actual numbers are used, and then compared per population ... would be interesting to see the actual danger areas.

PS - Netwerk24 made the comparison yesterday that on a per population basis there are actually more covid in the Northern Cape .....

May even be more "complex\convoluted" than that ....

Case per 100 000 persons type comparison is needed.

BUT, which cases do you use ?  The reported Covid deaths vary DRASTICALLY from the SA MEdical Research Council's actual death stats ....  

YES - way too many deaths in the Western Cape !!!!

BUT - if the actual numbers are used, and then compared per population ... would be interesting to see the actual danger areas.

PS - Netwerk24 made the comparison yesterday that on a per population basis there are actually more covid in the Northern Cape .....

I have the skills, data and methods to do that full comparison to identify the worst places, the reality is the recording and reporting is too sleg to make it worth doing. Some are recorded by province, some by suburb, some bu municipality. Geocoding over a million records to the lowest possible level for fun is just well- not that fun...

I have the skills, data and methods to do that full comparison to identify the worst places, the reality is the recording and reporting is too sleg to make it worth doing. Some are recorded by province, some by suburb, some bu municipality. Geocoding over a million records to the lowest possible level for fun is just well- not that fun...

Hiehie ....

JIP ... I have tried some comparisons and analysis over the last year .... numbers just TOO suspect, both here and various other countries to get any meaningful results.

Before our first lockdown it was "interesting" following John Wakefields input from his European experiences with lockdown.... and then to see how we sort of followed similar patterns.  Also noting the European first wave patterns, then our pattern .... again with the second wave ..... which leaves a very uncomfortable feeling about our chances for a third wave .... 

PITY .... with all the technology available each country SHOULD have accurate data, even if delayed by a few days to consolidate it.  Even understandable if governments decide to withhold certain data ... public panic, etc ...  But that so many countries release blatently botched data .... 

You can access our raw covid data via API easily, but the consistency in capturing has a few issues and the level of geography isn't amazing on a lot of the earlier data:

post-57821-0-43953500-1612948260_thumb.jpg

But ya, still interesting data to play with. The publicly displayed outputs from it have been average at best though.