Study on mask safety

Quagga

attachicon.gifEXBakH5XgAE0HsF.jpeg

This still comes to mind every time someone disputes mask actually making a difference. 

We've established that certain masks do not protect as well as others. Wearing the wrong mask still causes the virus to spread but at a much reduced rate. Except for buffs that is. 

This is honestly a pointless argument of theory vs reality.

Eskom is a monopoly - in theory it should make profits, but in reality it doesn't.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Masks are said the reduce inadvertent contact with your mouth/nose, thereby helping reduce surface spread.

There is a lot of literature supporting masks, but there is also a lot of literature disputing the effectiveness. And some countries support make being mandatory in all public places while others do not.

So there is still no conclusive outcome

There would be little to no surface contamination in the first place if people wore masks.

That and if the people touching their faces had masks on there would be zero contamination.

Edited by Eldron

Which is my current argument - so be it a mask/buff/gator/face shield, there is something there - its a reminded, an inadvertent barrier, etc

I am not saying people are silly for wearing a mask - each to his own. But if you see someone not wearing a mask, don't judge, get angry or worked up - given them an extra meter and let them be

Amen. 

I am not saying people are silly for wearing a mask - each to his own. But if you see someone not wearing a mask, don't judge, get angry or worked up - given them an extra meter and let them be

So what to do when the maskless :

1. Crowd you in line at the shop ? I have started using a trolley, and keep it behind me ... just to create some space ....

2. They eat chips/sweets in store, moving their hands between their face and the produce .... even worse when then keep on looking at stuff and then putting it back ....

3. Using card machines, with hands that are obviously no sanitized, after repeatedly touching their faces ...

No matter how you dress it up, these people are inconsiderate, and put our lives in danger.

Long past the anger stage. Just dissapointed in the behaviour of people that walk, talk and dress civilized .... yet have zero respect for their fellow human beings.

1. Crowd you in line at the shop ? I have started using a trolley, and keep it behind me ... just to create some space ....

2. They eat chips/sweets in store, moving their hands between their face and the produce .... even worse when then keep on looking at stuff and then putting it back ....

3. Using card machines, with hands that are obviously no sanitized, after repeatedly touching their faces ...

No matter how you dress it up, these people are inconsiderate, and put our lives in danger.

Long past the anger stage. Just dissapointed in the behaviour of people that walk, talk and dress civilized .... yet have zero respect for their fellow human beings.

Nail and head.

If not wearing a mask affected ONLY the wearer then fine whatever do as you like but it doesn't - at best not wearing a mask is anti social - at worst it kills people.

This is a whole other argument.

People in SA don't respect personal space - always has been an issue. Here in Canada, many people walk around without masks. As you approach oncoming walkers, we all move apart (step into the street if necessary) and give each other room. When we wait at a robot for the light to change so we can walk across the road, people are spaced out.

I was in SA during December - people throng together, bump into each other in the shops, congregate in middle of walk ways and shopping isles to skinner.

So your disappointment in people not wearing a mask should extend to disappoint in people not respecting personal space and giving each other room. You are using poor etiquette to justify a face covering. Sort out the poor behavior, and the mask thing will be less of an issue.

Well oom Cyril did say you can get into some major poo if you get caught in public not wearing one.

As soon as 1 or 2 people pull a Karen and call the cops and someone actually faces the consequences people will carry on not wearing masks.

Whatever your personal opinions may be, in SA at this stage, it is law to wear one.

• 3 weeks later...

witnessed something emotionally jarring yesterday. Driving down the M5 from Baden Powell I passed Muizenberg Cemetary...

There were 7 funeral processions (well 7 Hearse cars) lining up to enter. Further down the M5 at the De Waal rd turn off, 3 more processions heading to ward Grassy Park..

I have NEVER seen that before, ever. not even during the dark days of "The Struggle". it sent a very strong cold tingle down my spine

The "South African Medical Research Council" records all deaths in South Africa.  On an annual basis they predict the death rate throughout the year, accounting for seasonal variations, showing an expected mean, as well as an upper and lower expected limit.  They also break the "total deaths" down into "natural", "accidents", "crime", etc .... LOTS of information on their website about this.

For now, consider the "total death" numbers.

post-110956-0-13965100-1611676568_thumb.jpg

DnD by the time you saw the multiple processions we were have more than double the expected number of deaths !!  :eek:  :eek:

EDIT - Lots of information on this website - https://www.samrc.ac.za/reports/report-weekly-deaths-south-africa

Edited by ChrisF

• 2 weeks later...

Suppose it's still better than the assholes wearing these stupid mouth shields. :cursing:

415nSvTszLL._AC_SY355_.jpg

I think I'm ready to die now, not sure we can get dumber than this

post-59319-0-18518000-1612812795_thumb.jpg

well we have bigger issues to worry about...

Social Distancing- please stay 1,5m apart.

Most major retailers- Ok let's post a person at the door to hand you a tag and spray your hands with sanitizer as you walk in.

Please tell me how someone can socially distance if everyone entering the store must come into nearly direct contact with the same person at the entrance.

What about social distancing at the entrance, but once inside the shops it's back to normal.

I may have missed it, but does anyone know what the definition is of ‘vigorous exercise’?

Is there a defined standard?

Rigorous (level 3 or 4) would suggest or imply more of a constant but speedy and/or grueling or physically demanding action. Vigorous (level 3 revised) would imply, “with much enthusiasm”.

what about farting?

Back in my day you would cough to cover up a fart. Now, with COVID-19, you fart to cover up a cough.

Hi guys. See below link on the Sars virus accepted and published research on cloth masks. We are going in circles until you read this

▸ Prepublication history for this paper is available online. To view these files please visit the journal online

(http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/ bmjopen-2014-006577).

Received 9 September 2014 Revised 25 March 2015 Accepted 26 March 2015

Hi guys. See below link on the Sars virus accepted and published research on cloth masks. We are going in circles until you read this

▸ Prepublication history for this paper is available online. To view these files please visit the journal online

(http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/ bmjopen-2014-006577).

Received 9 September 2014 Revised 25 March 2015 Accepted 26 March 2015

Study was for. HCW. Health care workers.

They conclude that a medical mask should worn. Same as what the article I posted said.

Not sure why you say we are going around in Circles?

A statement like yours. “Going around in circles until you read this” on a forum seems like you are saying

“Stop discussing it, read this link and get yourself to my standard”

Edited by Quagga

Study was for. HCW. Health care workers.

They conclude that a medical mask should worn. Same as what the article I posted said.

A statement like yours. “Going around in circles until you read this” on a forum seems like you are saying

At least it wasn't a first post about some poor service they received in a bike shop and decided to moan here...

Lol. more like, here's a reading assignment for you from my superior internet sources. Now applaud me for being right on the internet!

Just gotta love the example this dad is setting for his son ... mask around the neck seems to be the new norm.

Yes, the other gent also did not wear a mask ..

attachicon.gif20210107_123204.jpg

Speaking to the lady, they dont dare ask people to put on masks .... all too often these "people" get abusive when asked to wear their masks. Actually witnessed one such "human" last week, got all agro when asked to put on his mask ...

We have the same issue. As soon as the person puts their mask on and you turn, they take it off!!