Study on mask safety

Quagga

Same here, "law" states mask or any homemade covering that covers both nose and mouth.

But it does not state is has to be cloth. Hence the shields etc.

It literally uses the word cloth.

34. (1) For the purposes of these Regulations, a 'face mask' means a cloth face mask or a homemade item that covers the nose and mouth, or another appropriate item to cover the nose and mouth.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another lil issue is that many ppl don’t wear the masks correctly. All these trials an data are based on correct wearing. But that’s a different issue.

It literally uses the word cloth.

Here Is the problem

“or another appropriate item to cover the nose and mouth.”

Slate me, hate me, tie me to a pole and burn me...there is still not sufficient conclusive evidence masks are helping to curb the spread. More and more people are wearing masks across the world, but the spread is happening faster (pre-the new strain). It only became mandatory to wear a mask in indoor public spaces in British Columbia in November, and that was done to appease the masses who were asking for masks to be mandated. We are allowed to walk the streets freely.

The spread is happening much more from surface contact than virally.

What a mask/face shield/covering does achieve is the inadvertent touching of it mouth/nose with potentially virus carrying hands.

If you want to wear a mask, where a mask. If you want to west a buff, where a buff. If you don’t want to wear a mask, just keep but distance. Better still, just always keep your distance Waterhouse you have a mask/shield/covering or not, and don’t handle things unnecessarily.

Edited by sirmoun10goat

Same here, "law" states mask or any homemade covering that covers both nose and mouth.

But it does not state is has to be cloth. Hence the shields etc.

I’m not keen on the buff option as a form of prevention or protection.

Simply put, if I was to go into surgery I would expect the surgeon and his team to be wearing proper surgical masks.... not a buff or piece of cloth.

WRT masks and hygiene, imo it’s important to change the mask every few hours or more frequently as the rate of exertion increases. The body cleanses itself through breathing out and I don’t want to breathe that stuff back in again

Slate me, hate me, tie me to a pole and burn me...there is still not sufficient conclusive evidence masks are helping to curb the spread. More and more people are wearing masks across the world, but the spread is happening faster (pre-the new strain). It only became mandatory to wear a mask in indoor public spaces in British Columbia in November, and that was done to appease the masses who were asking for masks to be mandated. We are allowed to walk the streets freely.

The spread is happening much more from surface contact than virally.

What a mask/face shield/covering does achieve is the inadvertent touching of it mouth/nose with potentially virus carrying hands.

If you want to wear a mask, where a mask. If you want to west a buff, where a buff. If you don’t want to wear a mask, just keep but distance. Better still, just always keep your distance Waterhouse you have a mask/shield/covering or not, and don’t handle things unnecessarily.

Please read up wet to surface spread. It is just about nothing.

Not ONE person I know that got the virus was wearing a mask, and they were indoors talking to a person for longer than 20mins.

95% of the frontline workers that got the virus admitted to getting it NOT from the patient but in the tee/break room.

Would a mask not also stop it from getting to surfaces and assist with reducing the surface spread that you believe in?

Not ONE person I know that got the virus was wearing a mask, and they were indoors talking to a person for longer than 20mins.

95% of the frontline workers that got the virus admitted to getting it NOT from the patient but in the tee/break room.

Would a mask not also stop it from getting to surfaces and assist with reducing the surface spread that you believe in?

Maybe they got it from touching a surface and then inadvertently touching their mouth/nose.

And again, if you avoid touching surfaces, you chances of picking it up from said surfaces is reduced.

My comments are based on rules/guidelines here in BC. I’ll trust their leadership over the powers that govern/dictate in SA

This echos what my friends and family on the frontlines has experienced.

Also, a collegue laughed at wearing a mask. He mocked those of us that do wear a mask. A week after being diagnosed with covid he passed away. NO comorbidities, young and healthy .... just refused to do the basics.

The eye opener ... the others that did not wear masks before his death, still dont wear masks .... wearers wear, the rest have long since made up their minds ....

Edited by ChrisF

Maybe they got it from touching a surface and then inadvertently touching their mouth/nose.

And again, if you avoid touching surfaces, you chances of picking it up from said surfaces is reduced.

My comments are based on rules/guidelines here in BC. I’ll trust their leadership over the powers that govern/dictate in SA

It is not a SA thing that said surface spread chances are low.

Maybe just google it for fun.

Absolutely.!!

I haven't gone through the detail so shooting from the hip.

Looking around, it almost seems most are applying the "vigorous exercise" ruling and cycling without mask.

I thought having a buff on to be good and at least allows for a quick cover up when required on the road

Perhaps a mask in pocket to wear for longer stops.

I may have missed it, but does anyone know what the definition is of ‘vigorous exercise’?

Is there a defined standard?

I can't remember where it was, petrol station or shop or some sorts, but a chap approached us and he was wearing one of those valved masks. But the valve was removed. And so there was just an open hole through to the side of his mouth. He reminded us of that two-face character from the batman movie.

It seemed a typically 'South African attempt' moment.

I may have missed it, but does anyone know what the definition is of ‘vigorous exercise’?

Is there a defined standard?

Like most of the other rules, it is not defined at all.

So whatever Cele thinks.

It is not a SA thing that said surface spread chances are low.

Maybe just google it for fun.

Yeah, that's so March 2020. 

Majority (if not all) infections happen from close contracts. I recall a recent article which had a breakdown of suspected mode of transmissions, over a third was from close contacts in social gatherings, and similar from same household sharing. Work place infections was surprisingly low. A small percentage ~5% was unknown in origin, whether that was from surfaces is anyone's guess. Bottom line, most people get infected in closed spaces when they are not practicing social distancing and [obviously] not wearing a mask. 

Interesting - I shall revert to the Anatomic (Andrew Steer) masks which I trust are ok; even after a good few washings. My ears are too pap for the surgical masks  :w00t: