Advice needed For Post Bike Sale

FreeSoul

OP: hey guys, i bought a bike from a hubber with a good rating, and it wen south, what is the right thing to do?

bikehub: here's some insurance advice

Oh, and the only piece of information useful to the community is the sellers name but I won't tell them what it is.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OP: hey guys, i bought a bike from a hubber with a good rating, and it wen south, what is the right thing to do?

bikehub: here's some insurance advice

hahahah yeah, the thread took a turn!

So I just got my bike back from the shop after they finally replaced the RD at my cost (seller will only give me a portion back when the broken RD is received in his care and he has looked at it). 

The bike has been with them since it broke on the Saturday. I had booked a setup so off I went expecting this saga to be behind me. Low and behold, during the setup, I noticed the crank length was 175cm and NOT the 172.5 as stated on the WhatsApp conversations we had. I explicitly asked about this and he confirmed.

I am at a loss as to what to do now.

Seller has now reneged on his word and has refused to provide any compensation for both the RD and the FD and has offered only to pay for the cranks at a price of R2500. I enquired about the cost of the mechanic to which he responded, it must come out of the R2500.

Also, he said if I have a problem with the above, I must contact his lawyer.

Seller has now reneged on his word and has refused to provide any compensation for both the RD and the FD and has offered only to pay for the cranks at a price of R2500. I enquired about the cost of the mechanic to which he responded, it must come out of the R2500.

Its really time for name and shame. He should have EFT'ed you for the broken parts and the crank is pretty pour. 

No point in contacting a lawyer, just waste of everyone money

Edited by Pure Savage

So I just got my bike back from the shop after they finally replaced the RD at my cost (seller will only give me a portion back when the broken RD is received in his care and he has looked at it). 

The bike has been with them since it broke on the Saturday. I had booked a setup so off I went expecting this saga to be behind me. Low and behold, during the setup, I noticed the crank length was 175cm and NOT the 172.5 as stated on the WhatsApp conversations we had. I explicitly asked about this and he confirmed.

I am at a loss as to what to do now.

We still don't know what bike you bought or seen any pictures of the defects... for all we know you could have bought a Tarmac SL7 Expert - Ultegra Di2 with a retail value of over R100k for R60k and now complaining about how it doesn't meet your expectations. 

You didn't do do your 'due diligence' but inspecting the goods yourself and now expecting the seller to take responsibility for for your actions or lack there of.

If you specifically asked for confirmation of 172.5mm cranks, then this should have been one of the first things you checked on the 13 Jan when you received the bike.

1. if its not printed on the crack how do you check this accurately?
  2. is it printed on the crank?

You still haven't answered the a lot of my questions, specifically regarding owning a torque wrench. next week we going to hear about the Cracked Handle bar.

You now only have a couple of options:

• Get lawyers involved (be prepare to invest R5k-10k and wait at least 6 months) 

or 

• Name and Shame
  • Chalk the Additional costs up as school fees
  • Remember what you learnt for those school fees

We still don't know what bike you bought or seen any pictures of the defects... for all we know you could have bought a Tarmac SL7 Expert - Ultegra Di2 with a retail value of over R100k for R60k and now complaining about how it doesn't meet your expectations. 

That shouldn't matter, in my opinion.

You didn't do do your 'due diligence' but inspecting the goods yourself and now expecting the seller to take responsibility for for your actions or lack there of.

If you specifically asked for confirmation of 172.5mm cranks, then this should have been one of the first things you checked on the 13 Jan when you received the bike.

1. if its not printed on the crack how do you check this accurately?
  2. is it printed on the crank?

You still haven't answered the a lot of my questions, specifically regarding owning a torque wrench. next week we going to hear about the Cracked Handle bar.

You now only have a couple of options:

• Get lawyers involved (be prepare to invest R5k-10k and wait at least 6 months) 

or 

• Name and Shame
  • Chalk the Additional costs up as school fees
  • Remember what you learnt for those school fees

I'm not sure if you're trying to be serious or not? If you sell something cheaply then you can lie about it? Would you check the crank length on a bike the second it arrives? Cracked handle bar?

The OP needs to name and shame the person as publicly as possible - the damage to their reputation hopefully does much more damage than fixing the faults would have. If you can afford the legal route then do that just for fun - it will bankrupt the seller very quickly and make him regret his "speak to my lawyer" nonsense.

Please keep in mind, received bike Wednesday and everything was 100%. Complained Monday and the bike was broken. Also, your mechanic opened the rear derailleur, why only he will know. Again, enjoy the bike as you mentioned it's sorted now.

okee dokee, this thread now needs either:

name and shame

or pictures more relevant than this

foundationm-rides218.jpg?w=622

Before I name and shame, I am seeking my own legal advice to ensure it doesn't damage my case.

Please keep in mind, received bike Wednesday and everything was 100%. Complained Monday and the bike was broken. Also, your mechanic opened the rear derailleur, why only he will know. Again, enjoy the bike as you mentioned it's sorted now.

What you mean why he opened the RD? He was trying to figure out why it wasn't working and where the noise was coming from??? How else was he supposed to triage the issue? Thats their job!

What you mean why he opened the RD? He was trying to figure out why it wasn't working and where the noise was coming from??? How else was he supposed to triage the issue? Thats their job!

Look, the seller is dodgy, but i dont think you're squeaky clean in this either.

Normally, you receive something that doesn't work as intended, you contact the seller and ask how he would like to proceed. This gives him the option to take it back and have a look himself, or send you to his trusted mech to take a look. You recieved the bike, found a fault, and took it to your own expert, who could have easily done more damage or created detrimental damage to a part that could have had a very small issue instead.

You buy a car from a dealer, and if something goes wrong in those first 6 months, they handle the complaint, not your buddy down the road... The friend is there for advice, not for a botched repair...

Again, both parties suck here, but i think you should have gone about all of this totally differently.

Wow, all this unnecessary attacking.

Why is this so complicated?

A deal was done a with a "reputable" dealer on a trusted forum.

People are now cross questioning the buyer about his due diligence on the item.

Yes - alot of money was handed over - but really, was he supposed to check the crank arm length as well? He stated that this was stipulated as a requirement upfront?

Why is all of this now his problem and put down to school fees?

Name the seller, BikeHub should also prevent him from trading here going forward as well.

what is scary is that you have mentioned this person is a "dealer" which means he has more stuff on sale but you have not named and shamed him / give a honest rating (i am sure that cant damage your case). Another hubber could easily be buying something from him now and also get a raw deal