Advice needed For Post Bike Sale

FreeSoul

(1) Why? Why does the buyer have to do things when handing over cash? The seller should be truthful, informed and 100% accurate. We not buying food here, it is something that's worth a small 2nd hand car. (This point of mine only stands if we dealing with a hubber who has good ratings etc. if not, then I agree with you)

(2) Cool, so next time somone buys a car and the gearbox is buggered (without being told, or even being told that everything was fine), we can just be happy with a gearbox replacement and not at all be considerate to the buyers thoughts of confidence in the product or whether he is happy with now having a car (which he was told works) being repaired? Replacement/refund. Only option.

Point 1 - Because you're handing over 60K. Online. To a person you've never met. Without seeing anything other than photos. Call me crazy but that's common sense.

I do agree with this (The seller should be truthful, informed and 100% accurate.)

However, the buyer should also be sure that what is being said is in fact true before paying. Especially if it is a private sale, even more so when it is from someone who may be unverified or have a low or no ratings.

Point 2 - Missing the point I tried to make. Regardless of the buyers feelings, a fair offer was given initially to replace the faulty components. The whole bike isn't broken. A broken RD/FD should not put any doubt into the rest of the bike, especially if you had it at your LBS who would have likely checked it over.

Edited by Jurgens Smit

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

(1) Why? Why does the buyer have to do things when handing over cash? The seller should be truthful, informed and 100% accurate. We not buying food here, it is something that's worth a small 2nd hand car. (This point of mine only stands if we dealing with a hubber who has good ratings etc. if not, then I agree with you)

(2) Cool, so next time somone buys a car and the gearbox is buggered (without being told, or even being told that everything was fine), we can just be happy with a gearbox replacement and not at all be considerate to the buyers thoughts of confidence in the product or whether he is happy with now having a car (which he was told works) being repaired? Replacement/refund. Only option.

on point 2.

If you bought that car from a dealer, dealer has right to repair. If cant be repaired only then is a refund considered.

But if you had someone else open up that gearbox and only then tell the dealer its stuffed you will have a serious fight on your hands trying to get them to repair.

1 . You're obviously never dealt with a 2nd hand cars Salesman

and 2. You're obviously never dealt with a 2nd hand cars Salesman

Edited by AdamA

It appears the FreeSoul commented on a thread back in 2018 with a similar situation,

• Buying an unseen bike,
  • selling on behalf of a friend

The Opening Post 

"I recently had a terrible experience on the Bikehub, the seller has a 96% positive rating with a total of 28 ratings.

This led me to think that I could trust the seller, he stays in the Western Cape. It was my first time buying a bike without seeing, also my last."

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/178467-name-and-shame-hub-member/page-8?do=findComment&comment=3375568

Ai Rickus. If you haven't noticed, things are spiraling out of control on this forum. You should take the opportunity to make things right with FreeSoul. Whether you feel he is right or wrong is almost immaterial at this point.

I am sure I am not the only person on here that knows exactly who you are. You stand to loose far more than 60K if this escalates further, and for what?

It appears the FreeSoul commented on a thread back in 2018 with a similar situation,

• Buying an unseen bike,
  • selling on behalf of a friend

The Opening Post

"I recently had a terrible experience on the Bikehub, the seller has a 96% positive rating with a total of 28 ratings.

This led me to think that I could trust the seller, he stays in the Western Cape. It was my first time buying a bike without seeing, also my last."

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/178467-name-and-shame-hub-member/page-1

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/178467-name-and-shame-hub-member/page-8?do=findComment&comment=3375568

I don't think I've seen you make one constructive comment on this topic, all you seem to do is stir **** and from the word go you have been against the OP it's like you have some sort of vendetta against FreeSoul.

I don't think I've seen you make one constructive comment on this topic, all you seem to do is stir **** and from the word go you have been against the OP it's like you have some sort of vendetta against FreeSoul.

As much as I disagree with most of what AdamA has had to say in this forum. He brings an alternative opinion to the table, which is always good.

I also buy and sell on BikeHub (and have 16 x5star reviews which I am proud of) 

When people buy second hand they get the reward of a cheaper price, but the risk of no warranty. 

If you want the reward with no risk I think you're being unreasonable.

Handing over cash to unknown organisation/person for something you have not actually seen is a gamble at best - Buyer is lucky to have an actual bike in his possession.

I am yet to see a successful CPA case on BikeHub, If there is one please point me to the thread.

I found the FreeSoul's OP arrogant (in my opinion) and missing a lot of detail, ie Test ride, etc. and when asked for them he ignored or avoided the questions, which indicated to me he is hiding stuff.

Maybe this is why I am coming across as being against FreeSoul.

Only today did he confirm that he assemble the cockpit without a torque wench and that he does not have a TAX Invoice.

When people buy second hand they get the reward of a cheaper price, but the risk of no warranty. 

Handing over cash to unknown organisation/person for something you have not actually seen is a gamble at best - Buyer is lucky to have an actual bike in his possession.

I am yet to see a successful CPA case on BikeHub, If there is one please point me to the thread.

I found the FreeSoul's OP arrogant (in my opinion) and missing a lot of detail, ie Test ride, etc. and when asked for them he ignored or avoided the questions, which indicated to me he is hiding stuff.

Only today did he confirm that he assemble the cockpit without a torque wench and that he does not have a TAX Invoice.

imho, you are over critical on the OP.  Yes,  he made mistakes, but so did the seller.

Bottom line, compensation (fair for both parties) is in order.

When people buy second hand they get the reward of a cheaper price, but the risk of no warranty.

Mate, I am hiding absolutely nothing! This is how the last few weeks have transpired too the absolute tee. You say I am arrogant? What the actual hell? All I am asking for is some fair compensation for items that broke after first use as well as payment for the crank which he got wrong. He agreed to all of this, but because I got angry, he has since changed his mind.

With regards to CPA, watch this space. I will not let this go on pure principle. What would have cost him a few bob, will now cost a **** ton more as well as his reputation on this site and the cycling community from which he stems.

Edited by FreeSoul

I feel like commenting here is not worth it, but here’s my final opinion. I feel for the OP, but my problem is this, you only mentioned the test ride afterwards and you confirmed everything was 100% on Wednesday. The bike was then in your care and complained a few days later that it’s broken, that I don’t agree with. Also, the way you treated the seller is not right, in fact it’s degrading. You saw the bike, you liked the bike and you bought. All that is left to do now is to enjoy it.

When people buy second hand they get the reward of a cheaper price, but the risk of no warranty.

You have got the plot all wrong - yes there is risk in terms of future issues but the goods must at least arrive in the condition they were promised to be in and at the spec they were stated to be in.

If something arrives broken(or the wrong spec) and it can be shown it was broken before the goods were sent and the correct spec, issue or damage was not stated in the ad then the seller must either take it back and refund or cover the cost to remedy the situation.

Otherwise using your logic a seller can send any old sht and just tell the buyer, "Ag too bad boet, buying 2hnd is risky hey, ask Adam he'll tell you how it works"

You pay less when buying secondhand not because you are taking a gamble that the seller may be a POS and send you broken stuff, rather you pay less because 1. it's been used, 2. it's not the colour you wanted and 3. it has no warranty.

I feel like commenting here is not worth it, but here’s my final opinion. I feel for the OP, but my problem is this, you only mentioned the test ride afterwards and you confirmed everything was 100% on Wednesday. The bike was then in your care and complained a few days later that it’s broken, that I don’t agree with. Also, the way you treated the seller is not right, in fact it’s degrading. You saw the bike, you liked the bike and you bought. All that is left to do now is to enjoy it.

You forgetting about the cracked FD which was evident in the photos as well as the incorrect crank length which he got wrong.

Also, test rode the bike around my 50m drive way to ensure the saddle was correct. It’s flat. Shifted maybe 1 gear up and down, that’s it. Next time, it broke after 5 min of being on the saddle. I think it’s harsh to assume it was me that damage it rather than it being frail before it was sent. Remember, something cracked the FD it could be extrapolated that it was in a impact which damaged both.

Edited by FreeSoul

You forgetting about the cracked FD which was evident in the photos as well as the incorrect crank length which he got wrong.

Also, test rode the bike around my 50m drive way to ensure the saddle was correct. It’s flat. Shifted maybe 1 gear up and down, that’s it.

The cracked derailleur and crank was a mistake which he said he will correct. You accepted the derailleur afterwards as it was working. And let’s not forget, you should not have opened the derailleur, you lost me there. Also, your CPA case can work for or against you, but good luck with that. The guy tried to assist you, but me personally, I wouldn’t take the abuse either.

Anyways, thank you ALL for your opinions, advice, humor and guidance. This will now become a legal matter so as such I won’t be extending this thread any further.