Giro d' Italia 2021

'Dale

I'd like to think that one of the loudest cheers for Mader yesterday was Roglic watching somewhere. That would be lekker

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ewan has predicted abandoning to prep for the Tour. I get the thinking, but I can't help a sour taste actually. A year or two back it was suggested they put the sprints at the back of the Giro to force the sprinters to actually climb hill to get to the sprints.

If Ewan wants to sprint on the flats he should go to the track where it's smooth and flat. Then we can see a 7ft 100kg beast ride him off his wheel...

13 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

I'd like to think that one of the loudest cheers for Mader yesterday was Roglic watching somewhere. That would be lekker

Yes indeed.  He was lucky in the sense that none of the 3 riders who followed Bernal was really prepared ( or able) to take a proper turn in front and also that Jonathan Castroviejo got a flat at a time that he was still driving the chasing group with the main contenders. Mader deserves the win though, he is a very good rider who also showed a lot of promise during his stint with NTT.

5 hours ago, SwissVan said:

The guys driving these cars are experts at multitasking ????

ive watched a few races here in Europe and it’s scary watching them navigate the narrow twisty roads often with one hand on the wheel leaving the other hand free for other duties..... the cars are loaded up full have tv screens, radios, all the bikes and wheels on the roof, riders food and drinks, mechanics and more..... not for the faint hearted.

Maybe John Wakefield could post a few pics or give us first hand experiences ????

I’ve seen the videos too, showing them multitasking. This highlighted the potential safety risk to riders, and team equipment. 

the driver/DS’s first priority should be to watch where he is driving, and his mechanic/assistant can do the rest. I know that JJ (team mechanic on EF Education said he has to learn to listen to race radio, and give the numbers in the break to the DS).

We all saw Sagan give Oss that nod hey... Hey hey hey.. 

Oss baby.. we love him.. he was wide awake to things that tried to sneak attack before the sprint point to take points away.. 

Edited by Gen

1 hour ago, Baldrick said:

It's so strange seeing FDJ at the front of the peloton ????

That's nothing the other day Cofidos were at the front. 

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

I’ve seen the videos too, showing them multitasking. This highlighted the potential safety risk to riders, and team equipment. 

the driver/DS’s first priority should be to watch where he is driving, and his mechanic/assistant can do the rest. I know that JJ (team mechanic on EF Education said he has to learn to listen to race radio, and give the numbers in the break to the DS).

I think it would be easier for the driver to maintain a safe distance and hand over stuff when he is on the same side of the car as the rider is, but that’s just a guess

i guess it takes some time to get used to the driving before anyone is allowed to drive one of those team cars amongst the peloton 

As far as the sprinters are concerned Caleb is in a class of his own in this race. Would love to see him up against Sam Bennett. 

5 minutes ago, Gen said:

Sags Baby.. Sjoe.. I thought he was going down there... Glad he could keep it upright.. 

As Oss went into that one left, he looked back and seemed to vloek when he notices Sagan was gone

2 hours ago, lechatnoir said:

As Oss went into that one left, he looked back and seemed to vloek when he notices Sagan was gone

Oss just closed down the attack.... Don't think it would've worked had he gone with. 

Shees that was a case of riders wanting that inside line and not enough space then a drop chain(?) .. . Really glad he could stay upright there. ????

Edited by Gen

saw Carthy have an issue and he wasn't classified in the top 20 immediately after the stage. But good news!! he's back at 38s down

20 hours ago, lechatnoir said:

Ewan has predicted abandoning to prep for the Tour. I get the thinking, but I can't help a sour taste actually. A year or two back it was suggested they put the sprints at the back of the Giro to force the sprinters to actually climb hill to get to the sprints.

If Ewan wants to sprint on the flats he should go to the track where it's smooth and flat. Then we can see a 7ft 100kg beast ride him off his wheel...

The little pocket rocket aims to win stages in all 3 Grand Tours apparently - a unique feat. So, understandably, he wants to check out, get back home to chill and prepare for the next challenge. 

Interesting season’s goal. ????

Edited by 'Dale