Giro d' Italia 2021

'Dale

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Gen said:

have you read the story about those kicks.

Obviously not official merchandise or endorsed by him, but the article was very funny.

There's a follow up to the original article out now as well. Both are super funny.

Tomorrow is the "Strade Bianche" stage.  Remember how well Bernal rode Strade Bianche.. going to be so much fun.giro-d-italia-2021-stage-11-profile-n2-a5e6e126e1.jpg

16 hours ago, Gen said:

What a sprint.. But what a team effort. 

Stage 10 once again belongs to Sagan baby

????

Awesome, very glad Sagan is back in full force !

Interesting yet true tweet I read earlier. 

What's everyone else take on this the tweet below??

"Eddy Merckx thinks Caleb Ewan abandoning the Giro d’Italia is a “total lack of professionalism and respect for cycling.” From the man who got thrown out of the Giro d’Italia while leading the GC for testing positive for a banned substance? Positive three times in his career? Ok."

1 minute ago, FootballingCyclist said:

"Eddy Merckx thinks Caleb Ewan abandoning the Giro d’Italia is a “total lack of professionalism and respect for cycling.” From the man who got thrown out of the Giro d’Italia while leading the GC for testing positive for a banned substance? Positive three times in his career? Ok."

People want to create drama, to generate clicks for advertising. So they are generating "outrage" that isn't there in the general viewing public, IMHO.

Many sprinters have left Grand Tours before the finish, nothing new here. 

10 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

People want to create drama, to generate clicks for advertising. So they are generating "outrage" that isn't there in the general viewing public, IMHO.

Many sprinters have left Grand Tours before the finish, nothing new here. 

Cannot agree with the withdrawing .The fact that many have done so does not make it right.The organisers must put a stop to it

26 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Clickbait.

Or in other words:

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, Kranswurm said:

Cannot agree with the withdrawing .The fact that many have done so does not make it right. The organizers must put a stop to it

If the organizers really wanted to put a stop to it, they would have placed the sprint stages towards the end of the Grand Tour and/or written something into the Race Rules regarding withdrawing without an allowable reason.

But they don't mind.

With the current setup, they get some big sprinter names to pull some eyes to the "boring" flatter stages, whereas in the 2nd and 3rd week, the GC battle keeps the eyes on the telly, so those sprinters aren't needed anymore for the publicity of the event.

I don't see who is going to push for this to become law if the organizers aren't fazed?

Didn't the team confirm Ewan withdrew due to knee pain?
There are something like two sprint stages left, plus the one yesterday - dragging himself over all those mountains with a sore knee to try and finish the tour, he would just have finished outside of the time-cut at some point, and done more harm than it was worth, surely?

1 minute ago, HdB said:

There are something like two sprint stages left, plus the one yesterday - dragging himself over all those mountains with a sore knee to try and finish the tour, he would just have finished outside of the time-cut at some point, and done more harm than it was worth, surely?

Lotto Soudal sprinter Caleb Ewan has clarified the reasons for his withdrawal from the Giro d'Italia on Saturday's stage 8, confirming that pain in his knee was too much to continue in the race.

11 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

No problem with that as long as its medically confirmed.

13 minutes ago, HdB said:

Correct that is what was stated, However many have found it too coincidental that before the Giro started he had already said he will not finish the Giro as he plans to win stages in each of the 3 GT's for the year.

23 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

In a world of back-dated TUE's anything can be medically confirmed...

True