SPD pedals do they wear out

Mawbs

I have a pair of XT M780 that have done a lot of work and in the last few months i have trouble unclipping. I have put new cleats on shoes, adjusted tension etc. So i am thinking that mabey they are just plain worn out, is there a simple fix for this ( i saw on one blog someone talked about sanding down the metal part to make the shape correct again ) or do i just buy new pedals ?

I have had numerous pedals, and xtr pedals have lasted the longest. I have found that I have to more frequently service and replace parts on the crank brothers eggbeaters.

I ride a fair bit, generally lube the pedals after every wash. I use either MO94, or WD 40. Depending on what I have.

I replace my cleats on average every 10 - 12 months. Previous set of pedals I had shy of 2 year. Had a crash and buggered the one pedal. Only reason for buying new pedals.

Adjusting the screw is a once off setting. It controls the spring that makes it tighter or looser to unclip.

It does not work for worn cleats.

But the pedals also get some wear to the point where brand new cleats will still slide backwards and forwards in the pedals.

When this happens I take the plate off the pedal and file down the edge where the rear spring loaded part stops against the front plate. 0.00something of a mm. Put back and test. No play......go ride.

thanks, old dogs can learn new tricks.

Stupid question maybe but have you tried lubing the mechanism?

seems you were spot on, a good cleaning and lubing and there operating like they should  :thumbup:

sometimes we just forget about the simple maintenance tasks 

Keen to get one if he's keen to print more?

I think Cape Multi Tools also used to bring these in?

Keen to get one if he's keen to print more?

I'll have a chat to him, he recently sold his house and is living at his in laws temporarily ... not sure if it's all set up there

I have had numerous pedals, and xtr pedals have lasted the longest. I have found that I have to more frequently service and replace parts on the crank brothers eggbeaters.

I ride a fair bit, generally lube the pedals after every wash. I use either MO94, or WD 40. Depending on what I have.

I replace my cleats on average every 10 - 12 months. Previous set of pedals I had shy of 2 year. Had a crash and buggered the one pedal. Only reason for buying new pedals.

If your XTR pedals have lasted very well then it must be the PD-M970 or PD-M060 has anything after these models was a hunk of junk that ran bearings and bent titanium axles. The earlier models 960 and 970 used a hollow chromoly steel axle that was built to survive nuclear war

Seriously dude so little why so little km on a pair of cleats. I have SPD pedals on my MTB and road bike and the same cleats have done more than 50k km with no major issue. What does happen is the pedal does sometimes wear the carbon on the shoe leading to vertical play when clipped in.

But if you are having issues unclipping look at just lubing the spring, or even giving them a good wash.

1. First pair of shoes were given to a friend, when I upgraded to a new pair. I wasn’t wearing them much after getting the new pair;

2. Said new pair of shoes currently on someone’s feet in an informal settlement;

3. Current pair still in use.

I’ve tracked the estimated mileage based on each bike I’ve used, as the bike purchase date corresponds +/- with the purchase date of my shoes.