Clicking noise from cranks / drivetrain

Steady Spin

Had the same issue! This worked for me on two bikes. Lightly greased between hanger and frame and also if you have QR rear axle, light grease on contact points here can also help.

Goodluck!

Wheels need to come off anyway for sealant top-up so the hanger "service" will be done.

Thank you.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also had it due to a loose 1x chainring, where the retaining ring on my Raceface crank had come undone. Removed the ring, cleaned and put it all back together at proper torques and sorted.

Wheels need to come off anyway for sealant top-up so the hanger "service" will be done.

Thank you.

Mechanic at Solomons told me this hanger service trick. It was the issue for his clients a couple of times.

Also had it due to a loose 1x chainring, where the retaining ring on my Raceface crank had come undone. Removed the ring, cleaned and put it all back together at proper torques and sorted.

I thought it was that. Had a loose chainring bolt in the past that caused a creak. 

I cleaned out the cranks, bolts, etc and reassembled with assembly compound and torqued to 9nm as per the SRAM standard. 

This may sound obvious but have you checked your seatpost? Is the click still there if you stand and pedal?

I had this same issue. Clicking noise for a month and after servicing bottom bracket, front hub, headset and rear hub it turned out to be the seatpost. Simple but worth a shot to check.

Loose BB sleeve..

My money is on that

Sleeve? As in the metal threaded sleeve that is bonded into the carbon? That would be interesting. 

I had the exact noise on an aluminium frame in the past. 

My odd noise a few weeks back was the headset bearings...

Naturally the last thing I checked and cleaned....

Got to love the complexities of these bikes and how something so simple can cause a phantom noise in a different part of the bike. Resonant frequency comes to mine.

I had a super-weird noise once - like the OP, it was a clicking sound. turned out to be the seatpost, but ONLY when it was an early morning ride in the cold. when it warmed up, the noise vanished. Liberal application of carbon assembly paste sorted it out

Got to love the complexities of these bikes and how something so simple can cause a phantom noise in a different part of the bike. Resonant frequency comes to mine.

I think its just a matter of checking and cleaning things when the annoying 'click' shows up...

Seat Post

Saddle Rails

BB fitting

Crank blade bolts

Pedals

Cleats

Stem and bar

Fork and fittings

Gear & brake cables/hoses

And my favourite was a broken rear triangle on a DS bike...but that also caused shifting issues in addition to the strange noise it made...Didnt notice this terminal injury till I got home!

Edited by Mojoman

Is the RD cable end not catching the crank arm on the way past? (You laugh, this happens more than people realise)

Otherwise my guess is pedals

As in the little bit that sticks out right by the derailleur? Nope, not it. Also... won't that require a 433mm crank arm? 

I think its just a matter of checking and cleaning things when the annoying 'click' shows up...

Seat Post

Saddle Rails

BB fitting

Crank blade bolts

Pedals

Cleats

Stem and bar

Fork and fittings

Gear & brake cables/hoses

And my favourite was a broken rear triangle on a DS bike...but that also caused shifting issues in addition to the strange noise it made...Didnt notice this terminal injury till I got home!

Seat Post - Done already

Saddle Rails - Done already (creaked for a bit, wasn't torqued to spec)

BB fitting - Luckily not press-fit 

Crank blade bolts - to spec

Pedals - most likely

Cleats - flats

Stem and bar - installed two weeks ago so everything is still fresh. 

Fork and fittings - checked and serviced the headset etc when I installed the bars. 

Gear & brake cables/hoses - cables and hoses secured / internal with rubber grommets in place 

Worst fear is a cracked part of the frame. That will make me cry to be honest. Won't be easy to get it replaced.