Clicking noise from cranks / drivetrain

Steady Spin

Sleeve? As in the metal threaded sleeve that is bonded into the carbon? That would be interesting. 

I had the exact noise on an aluminium frame in the past. 

Correct. I had the issue on my carbon HT. Took about two bike shops long to source the problem and a tube of epoxy to sort out

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so looking at all the advice here, its basically everything between the two wheels?

Given the number of threads on creaking cracking frames, and the number of options to fix it,

maybe bikes just make noise, end. (throws hands up in the air emoji)

so looking at all the advice here, its basically everything between the two wheels?

And also between rider and pedals from the looks of it. 

At this point I'm considering a strip-down & rebuild service.

And also between rider and pedals from the looks of it. 

At this point I'm considering a strip-down & rebuild service.

Or just time for an upgrade  :whistling:

Is the RD cable end not catching the crank arm on the way past? (You laugh, this happens more than people realise)

Otherwise my guess is pedals

I once rode the 94.7 MTB ride in the middle ring, as every time I shifted to the big ring, I'd hear this annoying click on my spanky new Merida 96.  Thought it may be lose chainring bolts, so didn't want to use the big ring.  Turned out it was the end of the cable for the front derailleur touching the crank arm on every revolution.  Change to middle ring, the cable didn't reach out far enough  :blush:  :cursing:  

Is the RD cable end not catching the crank arm on the way past? (You laugh, this happens more than people realise)

Otherwise my guess is pedals

Don't you mean front derailleur? The rear one would need a foot of cable sticking out or a half meter long crank arm?

I once rode the 94.7 MTB ride in the middle ring, as every time I shifted to the big ring, I'd hear this annoying click on my spanky new Merida 96.  Thought it may be lose chainring bolts, so didn't want to use the big ring.  Turned out it was the end of the cable for the front derailleur touching the crank arm on every revolution.  Change to middle ring, the cable didn't reach out far enough  :blush:  :cursing:  

I had a weird fizzing noise that would appear intermittently the once. It eventually turned out to be the cable from the FD just touching the rear tyre at a certain point with the chain on the big ring. I nearly stripped the entire bike apart before I discovered what it was.

I need your help dear Hubbers.

A week ago my bike developed this click when pedaling. It sounds like a ballpoint pen is clicked around the bottom bracket area with every revolution of the pedals. The noise is about the same with pressure on the pedals and without.

So far I’ve taken the cranks off, cleaned out the bb, reinstalled it, replaced the chainring, and reassembled everything with either a bearing grease or assembly compound where needed and at the correct torque settings. BB is about 1200km old.

Still clicks.

Thanks in advance.

I have the same clicking noise, more prominent when climbing and this happened after I washed the bike. So I need to do all what was mentioned in this thread to check where its coming from. My pedals have sealed bearings so I doubt its from there. Anyway, trial and error, here we go.

Thank you. I did check the bearing under pressure but mostly but hand. How else would you recommend? 

Most likely not related but I only picked up the noise after switching to the oval. I switched back to a round though and the nouse is still there. I will do a quick check on the derailleur later and see if it originates from there.

I might just take you up on the offer if I can't find the issue. 

Check allenkeys on Chainring

And the winner....... *drum roll*

Pedals. Crap Brothers weak bearings strikes again. Less than 500km.

So no big deal, service should be easy. Nope, let’s put the end cap of the spindle in an impossible place and make it so tight that a brand new T25 will grate it to pieces in a single turn.

No way to get it out now without some very clever tricks. Also can’t find the part or even a service kit for the Stamp 2 pedals.

Looks like it’s time for some OneUp Composites.

Thanks everyone.

Is it a direct Mount oval or bolted to a spider? It's important to lightly grease all the contact points of cranks and chainring. I've had what sounded like coming from the crank or BB area and it was coming from the RD. It's also a good idea to do as everybody suggests and grease seatpost, front and rear wheels where they meet fork and dropouts hanger and don't forget the other side and even headset, pedals and cleats. I also pedal with one leg at a time to try to ascertain which side.

By putting bearings under pressure I just put a finger or thumb and try to create load. If in doubt either service the bearings by prizing out the dust shield etc or replace them.

I'm closing. Road or MTB? Threaded or press fit isn't great. The fact that unaffected by pressure leads me to believe RD.... Good luck stay in touch...

.... Also grease pedal spindle where it threads into cranks.

Edited by love2fly