Help from the experts - Lanseria

How is BA shorter? they ride past my road going to the cradle.  Exactly what does Valverde offer?

I'm talking about driving from my house to where I start riding and getting to Broadacres is a shorter drive than to you or Valverde. But then there is that dodgy ride out especially with the roadworks which is why I drive further.

The simple fact is that to break into an established market you have to do something better and/or different to your competitors. You can't do exactly the same as them and expect people to do business with you rather than the places they know and like. So that goes back to my previous post:

What do you do better than your competitors that will make people want to use your service rather than theirs?

If you can answer that question (and the answer isn't "nothing") then you will likely grow your business. If the answer is "nothing" then you are not adding value to people and they will not make use of your services. It's as simple as that.

Edited by Jehosefat

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you asked

the hub responded. but you dont seem to keen on what has been suggested. 

Like you said, the other venues took years to get to where they are now. You cant come in as the new kid on the block and expect to steal their customers. Its going to take blood, sweat and tears, ups and downs. There is no magic formula, you will need to find what works for you.

Not everything will costs huge amounts of money, but to make money you have to spend money. But most importantly, be humble and accept suggestions. You dont have to act on them, but dont shoot them down.

wow .... steal customers!!!! is that whats its all about. I think you've said it all...

wow .... steal customers!!!! is that whats its all about. I think you've said it all...

it is essentially what you are wanting to do is it not ? You want people to use your venue instead of the other venues, so you are wanting to take customers away from teh other venues.

Yes, that is literally what it is about. There are only a finite number of people who cycle in the cradle and pretty much all of them already have a favourite place to start for whatever reason. To get more people to use you, you will need to convince them that what you offer is better than what they are getting from their current starting point.

Simple economics.

Agree, it is what it is "reality" and yes i asked for advice on how to move forward . Not many riders are aware of my place. I could never compete with the venues you mention .... of which some are wedding venues. These venues have had to build up to where they are today. They also started at the bottom. So give me a break guys!!   

JIP !

It can be along hard road to build a customer base ...

You are most fortunate that a lot of school fees have already been paid, by others.

Just from these posts alone you can see how cyclists DIFFER.

There will be those that make use of your "facilities", be it parking, coffee, etc, just to get away from the other busy spots.  GOOD for you.   :thumbup:   

Others may plan to make yours a last coffee stop on their rides ... 

Totally different question - have you looked at the "park run" crowd ?  Are you close enough to areas they would use ?  THIS is the new "golf" .... Park run has increased DRASTICALLY in numbers.  And if any of your neighbours wants to get into this, it is much easier than cycling.  Use the normal farm roads, and put up a few arrows showing the short/medium/long routes ....  I know that Meerendal now makes a LOT more out of their parkrun crowd than from the cyclists.

Whichever way you do decide to go .... you WILL get cyclists supporting you !!  And you always have a group asking for something different .... just the nature of the beast  :whistling:

Again, wishing you all the best on this project  :thumbup:

Cost

Park & Ride only R20per person

A comment: 

Nowhere else in the Cradle area do they charge a fee per rider. You get charged a parking fee per vehicle as that is what you park.

I think one issue here is expectation...the OP's been a BH member for around 2 weeks added to their use of the phrase 'help from experts'. It's the hub...we're all experts!!

But seriously, if the OP's quest is how to market their offering rather than develop their offering - the intent of the original post, I think, then market the potential clients riding or driving past the end of your road? Signs on the road. Flyers on cars parking at BA. Isn't it that simple initially?

Beyond that a SWOT analysis will give further food for thought, but caveat emptor, as an open mind is required...

I think one issue here is expectation...the OP's been a BH member for around 2 weeks added to their use of the phrase 'help from experts'. It's the hub...we're all experts!!

But seriously, if the OP's quest is how to market their offering rather than develop their offering - the intent of the original post, I think, then market the potential clients riding or driving past the end of your road? Signs on the road. Flyers on cars parking at BA. Isn't it that simple initially?

Beyond that a SWOT analysis will give further food for thought, but caveat emptor, as an open mind is required...

Finally thank you. My sign will be ready before the weekend. I will be visible and will continue to market.  :)

JIP !

It can be along hard road to build a customer base ...

You are most fortunate that a lot of school fees have already been paid, by others.

Just from these posts alone you can see how cyclists DIFFER.

There will be those that make use of your "facilities", be it parking, coffee, etc, just to get away from the other busy spots.  GOOD for you.   :thumbup:   

Others may plan to make yours a last coffee stop on their rides ... 

Totally different question - have you looked at the "park run" crowd ?  Are you close enough to areas they would use ?  THIS is the new "golf" .... Park run has increased DRASTICALLY in numbers.  And if any of your neighbours wants to get into this, it is much easier than cycling.  Use the normal farm roads, and put up a few arrows showing the short/medium/long routes ....  I know that Meerendal now makes a LOT more out of their parkrun crowd than from the cyclists.

Whichever way you do decide to go .... you WILL get cyclists supporting you !!  And you always have a group asking for something different .... just the nature of the beast  :whistling:

Again, wishing you all the best on this project  :thumbup:

Thanks for the support Chris. The area is not suitable for runners. Neighbouring properties are overgrown and not maintained. Thank you for your comments means a lot. :)

Perhaps pop up the road and look at what Zest are doing with signage and their offering and SWOT them?

As you say, a lot of local places have earned their stripes but perhaps ponder why some failed (to avoid those attributes)?

Finally thank you. My sign will be ready before the weekend. I will be visible and will continue to market. :)

Hello Community,

I decided after 3 months of advertising  my park & ride venue in Lanseria attracting one club who have supported me. I need to grow it. As we know people are creatures of habit. I am located just off the R552 (200m) on the edge of Fourways entering Lanseria. Perfect location.  

Here is the million dollar question to the community, what is the best way to get traffic here to my venue?I've thought about offering riding lessons for youngsters, short courses like safety, how to clean your bike, easy maintenance, open day where there are stores specific to cyclists. Some help here please!!

The plots perfectly placed for all the cyclists travelling from Broadacres shopping centre in Fourways. Just so much safer to park here.

Many thanks 

Tracey

Tracey, yes connoisseur quality coffee plays a role BUT you are up against serious competition in the form of traditional secure parking offered for years at Bidon, Valverde, Rhino and Lion Reserve Riverstone Lodge a bit further afield but still part of the main Cradle ... it won't be easy ...

Thanks for the support Chris. The area is not suitable for runners. Neighbouring properties are overgrown and not maintained. Thank you for your comments means a lot. :)

I don't get it.!

I think that you are sitting in/on a little goldmine (for you) with regards your location. The suggestion of the parkrun is brilliant and coupled with my (and others) suggestion of taking ownership of the trails within 1km radius of yourself, fixing them and maintaining them, WILL bring people to you and those passing through will be eternally grateful and for sure show support. It takes one chap with an edge trimmer, a wheelbarrow, shovel, a bit of sand / cement and some time on his hands.

There are parkruns further out than you where a land owner has taken it upon himself to set up and maintain a route (through other unfenced properties) - you must see how many people he gets (or used to get before lockdown regulations) to his venue - and he started from a zero base. But he worked hard and offered something of value.! 

You asked previously "What does Valverde offer ?" How can you be trying to compete with established venues when you haven't even been to see what they are about.! Go have a cappuccino at BIDON and then ask yourself if you can offer same.

Please understand that we are not trying to be nasty or dampen your spirits but you clearly do not know the market nor your clients and you asked here for assistance. Me personally, I get excited when there's something new and am always willing to assist and support but you have to do some hard work to get even R1 out of anyone today.

Sadly, it's clear that you're just not interested and want people to come and support you by parking at your location and paying you more than they would elsewhere, with less on offer, just because you asked nicely.

That's just not gonna happen. Read through this full thread again and again, sleep on it and then go and do something in order to make something. 

Best of luck and kind regards.

Edited by JBK

With regard to the parking, those at BA park for free and want to do a longer distance and happily navigate the roadworks for now. They are unlikely to change location.

Close to you is Cullinary Kitchen, many park there and ride into the cradle, this is also free to park. They are perhaps a posibility if you can offer more than CK.

After that you are into the cradle with VV,Bidons,Bru etc and are well established. So you have to compete with what they offer.

Hello Community,

I decided after 3 months of advertising  my park & ride venue in Lanseria attracting one club who have supported me. I need to grow it. As we know people are creatures of habit. I am located just off the R552 (200m) on the edge of Fourways entering Lanseria. Perfect location.  

Here is the million dollar question to the community, what is the best way to get traffic here to my venue?I've thought about offering riding lessons for youngsters, short courses like safety, how to clean your bike, easy maintenance, open day where there are stores specific to cyclists. Some help here please!!

The plots perfectly placed for all the cyclists travelling from Broadacres shopping centre in Fourways. Just so much safer to park here.

Many thanks 

Tracey

Good Evening All,

Thank you all for participating on this chat. It has been contentious and a much needed discussion. I certainly have learnt a lot over the last 40 hrs and attracting nearly 1300 views. Please allow me to  make it clear that i have never and will never compete with the big venues mentioned in this thread. I have my own flavour to add.  To the riders who don't get parking at the mentioned venues you are welcome to come and park at my place.

JBK mentioned " I'm sitting on a goldmine", and that gives me hope. I am now leaving with that thought and closing  this chat.

Wish you all the very best and ride safe. 

Been nice chatting!

Cyclist Pitstop (Park & Ride) Lanseria