Scalpel chain line very close to frame

Lance Roberts

See my thoughts as to why It's either the limit screws or the hanger that is slightly bent is because the space between the frame and highest / heaviest gear is quite small and if the rear mech goes too far past its limit then the top end of the chain will also lie closer to the frame than normal. It's a simple 5min exercise to check if this is the case, this is where I would start before spending money. But then again, I can be completely wrong, in that case sooooorrrrieeeee  :thumbup:

Video attached: 

I thought about that too, but the limit screw changes the chain line below the cassette, the rubbing part is the part of the chain above the cassette. Hope that, makes sense.

I'll have a look at the adjustment and report back.

Edited by RobertWhitehead

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, very much doubt it's the limit screw, unless it's reaaaaally way out but then you'd get your chain stuck between the cassette and the frame if it was the case.

What I don't understand is : is the chain very close to the frame or is it rubbing against the frame ?

Clearances are tiny on those scalpels, so it is fairly normal that here and there it gets very close (my power meter comes about 1,5mm from my chainstay), as long as it's not touching you're fine, if it is, then make sure you don't have any spacers behind your casette, and maybe check with a shop if they can change the offset on your chainring, pushing it a little bit inside the bike might fix that.

It's such a confined space that it's not very easy to see if it's rubbing or not. But if you look at the zoomed in picture below it really looks like it's very close, and that's why I'm worried.

I'll take the wheel off tonight and check for any rubbing marks (Should have done that in the first place I guess.)

post-41665-0-64960400-1618913607_thumb.png

See my thoughts as to why It's either the limit screws or the hanger that is slightly bent is because the space between the frame and highest / heaviest gear is quite small and if the rear mech goes too far past its limit then the top end of the chain will also lie closer to the frame than normal. It's a simple 5min exercise to check if this is the case, this is where I would start before spending money. But then again, I can be completely wrong, in that case sooooorrrrieeeee  :thumbup:

Video attached: 

Thanks Robert. I will definitely check this.

This is my bike (2019, with a shimano XT cassette, no spacers)

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2021-04-20 at 11.54.39.jpeg

it is very close indeed, but there is a little plastic guard between the frame and the chain. not sure if it actually rubs or not

That does look quite similar to mine, maybe the angle of my picture just makes it look more extreme. I need to step back and start taking things off to see the extent of the damage, if any... If there's no damage then I probably wasted all your guys time... Sorry about that.

That does look quite similar to mine, maybe the angle of my picture just makes it look more extreme. I need to step back and start taking things off to see the extent of the damage, if any... If there's no damage then I probably wasted all your guys time... Sorry about that.

New bike pics are never a waste of time.

Is the cassette 100% tight and 100% on without gunk or something on the freehub body which would push cassette towards the swing arm?

Will be checking that when I check everything later today. My only problem if there is a spacer or "gunk", is that the chain line from the big gear will be even more extreme if the cassette moves closer to the spokes.

Will be checking that when I check everything later today. My only problem if there is a spacer or "gunk", is that the chain line from the big gear will be even more extreme if the cassette moves closer to the spokes.

Think with 1x there will always be a bit of a chain line issue at the extremes. 

It is strange though

Is that a frame replacement? Read the yellow sticker on the left chain stay regarding wheels to be used. That yellow sticker normally comes off quickly so it seems that the frame is newer as the rest of the groupset. 

I'd take it to a reputable Cannondale bike shop just to put your mind at ease.

That's super pricey kit, I'd also want some peace of mind and to make sure the previous owner or LBS didn't do something to take it out of spec.

Is that a frame replacement? Read the yellow sticker on the left chain stay regarding wheels to be used. That yellow sticker normally comes off quickly so it seems that the frame is newer as the rest of the groupset. 

Not sure of the age of the frame. The groupset is new, and the rotors even still have their stickers on. So it seems the previous owner just left it as it came. There are a few marks on the frame, so it's not that new. The wheels also have similar yellow stickers on them.

I'd take it to a reputable Cannondale bike shop just to put your mind at ease.

That's super pricey kit, I'd also want some peace of mind and to make sure the previous owner or LBS didn't do something to take it out of spec.

I've sent a message to the previous LBS, who also helped check the bike during the negotiations process, and who shipped it to me. Hopefully they can give me a service history on the bike. I'll try find an LBS around me who could possibly help, but I'm not sure who the Cannondale agents are in my area. If anyone knows of an agent in the Durban/Hillcrest area, that would be great.

I've sent a message to the previous LBS, who also helped check the bike during the negotiations process, and who shipped it to me. Hopefully they can give me a service history on the bike. I'll try find an LBS around me who could possibly help, but I'm not sure who the Cannondale agents are in my area. If anyone knows of an agent in the Durban/Hillcrest area, that would be great.

the bike guru in hillcrest would be able to advise you....0837992083

my thinking is that if you can fit the rear wheel in the dropouts snugly without having to squeeze them together or push them apart to get it seated nicely, then the axle is the right length/width - I had an issue with a Hope wheelset missing a spacer and it was too 'narrow'.

if it all fits neatly, and there is rub on the chainstay/frame, then it seems to me the cassette is in the wrong place ad should be shifted closer the spokes.