Stages Gen 2/3 power meter battery cover

Mamil

My Stages Gen 3 105 power meter battery cover fell off 30km into first ride after a bike service.

GPS tells me it fell off on the steep descent just before the stop street coming down off signal hill. Went back looking for the proverbial needle and found ... a circular piece of plastic off an Audi. So if you looking for that I have it.

Writing on the off chance someone has one lying around in Cape Town. Annoyingly - a garmin speed sensor battery cover doesn't fit.

My Stages Gen 3 105 power meter battery cover fell off 30km into first ride after a bike service.

GPS tells me it fell off on the steep descent just before the stop street coming down off signal hill. Went back looking for the proverbial needle and found ... a circular piece of plastic off an Audi. So if you looking for that I have it.

Writing on the off chance someone has one lying around in Cape Town. Annoyingly - a garmin speed sensor battery cover doesn't fit.

I picked one up at Olympic cycles Claremont, I think they are free if you show them a pic of your Stages. Otherwise email stages and they will probably help you out. 

Thanks for the tip!

Lechatnoir who is a riding buddy old school mate and a scholar and a gentleman has a dead gen2 which uses the same cover!!!

A mat

I picked one up at Olympic cycles Claremont, I think they are free if you show them a pic of your Stages. Otherwise email stages and they will probably help you out.

• 1 year later...

I lost the battery cover to my stages power meter yesterday due to the locking mechanism on the housing being broken, exactly like this guys in this video... 

Does anyone know if there is a place in Cape Town that can fix / replace it?

15 minutes ago, devocean said:

I lost the battery cover to my stages power meter yesterday due to the locking mechanism on the housing being broken, exactly like this guys in this video... 

Does anyone know if there is a place in Cape Town that can fix / replace it?

SANTAM?

23 minutes ago, devocean said:

When I say replace, i was referring to just the plastic body / cover

Oh so it’s not the PM body that is cracked with broken mounting tabs like in the video? You just lost the cover? 
the covers are dirt cheap. Like R30 ea. as Robert suggested Omnico may even send you a replacement for free. I may have a spare laying about somewhere.

But if the housing is broken similar to the video I don’t know of anyone making new parts for that. It is just a cover over the strain gauge electronics and the base that is glued to the crank arm so it’s possible to repair. Bicycle Power Trading may be able to help as they 3D printed a new battery housing for my P2M NGeco.

Ja nee, common issue. My LBS just called Om-Nie-Kou for covers. I have a few spare covers / lids  for my Gen 2 on my roadie.

And masking tape with my Gen 1 on my Scalpel as both the tabs and interior is moertoe. I suspect the rougher vibration of the terrain has something to do with it. Or just wear and tear. Once the housing is broken, the power meter needs to be replaced. I did that once with the Gen 1 of my roadie and got it at 'cost price.

Edited by 'Dale

15 hours ago, 'Dale said:

Ja nee, common issue. My LBS just called Om-Nie-Kou for covers. I have a few spare covers / lids  for my Gen 2 on my roadie.

And masking tape with my Gen 1 on my Scalpel as both the tabs and interior is moertoe. I suspect the rougher vibration of the terrain has something to do with it. Or just wear and tear. Once the housing is broken, the power meter needs to be replaced. I did that once with the Gen 1 of my roadie and got it at 'cost price.

it's all those watts you put through the poor crank Dale...

• 5 weeks later...

Slight off topic, didn't necessarily want to start a new topic... So I've seen a stages in the classifieds with a description that it works 100% but battery only lasts a few rides...

So I've had 2 crank arms now, I've used them that did the same thing... one i actually sent to Omnico and according them it was as if it was pulsing looking for connection and such a battery drain... from the reading I've done apparently this is a known issue... and that if within warranty it's a replacement otherwise suck it up buttercup...

Anyone tried to or knew someone who's that technically inclined that are able to revive them? 

The work around so far is after every ride remove the battery, but admin AF