Dash Cam Suggestions

PieterJvR

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bulldozer..?? You had me excited, then I see it's a backhoe..

forgive my lack of knowledge of heavy machinery. I just call everything with a bucket a bulldozer  :lol:

Bulldozer..?? You had me excited, then I see it's a backhoe..

you dont even know her, how can you call her a hoe?

Thank you for the information, I will be happy if it can record 4 hours and then overwrites, etc - should also be 2 days of travel.

I want to say I am shocked about the bit in bold, but unfortunately it is becoming the norm lately - glad you could "prove" that you delivered the stock.

My biggest reason in wanting to get a dash cam is actually for my wife, who often have to travel after dark on the M1 from her office, and when I hear about Metro pulling over vehicles and intimidating drivers some sort of proof "should" help, or at least deter them when they see it.  Not saying all metro is like that, I have just heard too many horror stories lately.

I just checked now, and I have a 64MB SD card, not a 32Mb as mentioned in my initial response.

Buy an entry level garmin, plug it in and forget about it. Until that one day I hope never comes and you need the footage and you are rest assured that it has been recorded and in focus. Trust me on this, recording for "fun and entertainment" is one thing and worth a hassle. Dashcam footage which is typically for more serious situations you don't want to play around with. 

Not saying it has to be a Garmin.... Just a well supported, reliable device that has a good track record.

I have the most basic garmin units in both my cars. They out of site and out of mind. But when I've wanted some footage, they have always been perfect. 

Good luck with your purchase.  

I have a Garmin. Permanently plugged in. It has automatic last 3 hr backup.

You want to store something happening for longer, you push a button, voila, last 3 minutes stored permanently. 16 GB micro SD card.

I have taken on a few companies' re their drivers' driving. Insist on disciplinary finding, else I go public with video. Got results every single time.

(PS: That's why my forum name is warthog - I luuuv causing shite...)

Thanks for all the advice and feedback from personal experiences everyone!  :thumbup:

Will do some investigations, the wife also mentioned last night she will only allow it in her car if it is out of the way (which it will be and I showed her a few people's setup on youtube) and she can't see the cable - so I will have to find a route for the cable around the windscreen rather than just straight down, I would prefer this as well just wasn't sure if it was an option.

Thanks for all the advice and feedback from personal experiences everyone! [emoji106]

Will do some investigations, the wife also mentioned last night she will only allow it in her car if it is out of the way (which it will be and I showed her a few people's setup on youtube) and she can't see the cable - so I will have to find a route for the cable around the windscreen rather than just straight down, I would prefer this as well just wasn't sure if it was an option.

If you get a dash cam specifically, the cable is generally long enough to allow for it to be routed around the windscreen top and behind the trim in the A pillar to the outlet..

The Volkano comes with a 3m cable.

I dislike having cables showing, so ran mine under the roof trim, down the A-pillar then behind the dashboard to the 12V outlet.

If you get a dash cam specifically, the cable is generally long enough to allow for it to be routed around the windscreen top and behind the trim in the A pillar to the outlet..

The Volkano comes with a 3m cable.

I dislike having cables showing, so ran mine under the roof trim, down the A-pillar then behind the dashboard to the 12V outlet.

Thanks, that's good to know - will follow the same route.

Wots wrong with Garmin? :ph34r:

I would love one, but I need to buy 2 and its a little bit expensive at this point in time, and black Friday is still far away  :ph34r:

Edit: Grammar 

Edited by PieterJvR

Thanks for all the advice and feedback from personal experiences everyone!  :thumbup:

Mine goes around the top of the windcscreen under the passenger sun visor (it could go in the trim but i wasn't bothered) and then down the side in the trim, behind the cubbie and into the usb in the console. With a bit of effort you can make it completely invisible

Buy an entry level garmin, plug it in and forget about it. Until that one day I hope never comes and you need the footage and you are rest assured that it has been recorded and in focus. Trust me on this, recording for "fun and entertainment" is one thing and worth a hassle. Dashcam footage which is typically for more serious situations you don't want to play around with. 

Not saying it has to be a Garmin.... Just a well supported, reliable device that has a good track record.

I have the most basic garmin units in both my cars. They out of site and out of mind. But when I've wanted some footage, they have always been perfect. 

Good luck with your purchase.  

Model details please?