Website update gremlins

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On serious note, we're aware of the inconvenience that too many adverts has on user experience but it's the best way to make the platform viable. We like to think that we strike a fair balance on the site.

Hosting and maintaining a popular forum like Bike Hub comes with some heavy costs and few revenue options. There is Bike Hub Plus which removes the adverts. The other option is to put the forums behind a pay wall but we want Bike Hub to remain open to all, so that's never going to be a serious consideration.

Of course, you can use an ad blocker for the site but then Bike Hub receives no support. You can also block other sites with you ad blocker while whitelisting Bike Hub to show adverts.

On 1/18/2022 at 8:01 AM, ouzo said:

Why does my forum content look like this now?

I used to have down the left hand side the posters name and things like post count and location, right hand side used to not have anything.

Is there a way to change this ?

image.png.13d044d3c593c734f478131d560f0b6b.png

@Matt @Nickany ideas ?

Does the site differentiate between browsing on mobile vs desktop ? because it always looked like this on mobile but not on desktop, maybe there is a way for me to force the page to revert to desktop mode

5 minutes ago, ouzo said:

@Matt @Nickany ideas ?

Does the site differentiate between browsing on mobile vs desktop ? because it always looked like this on mobile but not on desktop, maybe there is a way for me to force the page to revert to desktop mode

We changed the styling of the desktop forum to better match the mobile site.

Our thoughts are that the user sidebar was a lot of screen real estate with little value and repetition for every post. Hovering over a user name or avatar should show most of what was there.

Obviously you valued it though. What was there that you liked?

3 minutes ago, Nick said:

We changed the styling of the desktop forum to better match the mobile site.

Our thoughts are that the user sidebar was a lot of screen real estate with little value and repetition for every post. Hovering over a user name or avatar should show most of what was there.

Obviously you valued it though. What was there that you liked?

I liked that at a glance I could see where the poster was from and their post count.

It also felt more structured to me and shifted the post content more to the centre of the screen which makes it easier to read. Right now the width of the actual post, even on my low res work screen takes up less the half the screen, it feel squashed to me and to far left.

You've got 2 large gutters left and right on the screen that have nothing in them, these could be made smaller in order to enlarge the post section or bring the side bar back.

3 hours ago, ouzo said:

I liked that at a glance I could see where the poster was from and their post count.

It also felt more structured to me and shifted the post content more to the centre of the screen which makes it easier to read. Right now the width of the actual post, even on my low res work screen takes up less the half the screen, it feel squashed to me and to far left.

You've got 2 large gutters left and right on the screen that have nothing in them, these could be made smaller in order to enlarge the post section or bring the side bar back.

I am missing that part and it seems that I have lots of empty space around my screen now.

On 1/11/2022 at 2:53 PM, Shebeen said:

can't seem to stay logged in on mobile.

am logged in, but then click ona  new topic/thread and need to log in again. so basically no way to comment?

on android chrome mobile

had the same thing yesterday, logged in everywhere except on the forum. Had to logout and log back in to solve it

1 hour ago, Eddy Gordo said:

I am missing that part and it seems that I have lots of empty space around my screen now.

Just hover your curser over the icon?

1 minute ago, Eddy Gordo said:

doesnt work on my phone tho

I have never used bikehub on my mobile, so I have no idea!

1 minute ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

Bloody hell you spend a lot of time in front of a laptop then 

hahahaha I do.

It's always on but I'm not always at it. So active time vs 'it's on in the house but I'm not looking at it' balance out.

But yeah, work sucks that way

46 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

also can't filter ads by 'wanted ' anymore 

We removed the "Wanted" ad type a while ago to simplify a few things.

Search "want" in the category that you're interested in or all categories for the same result.

• 3 weeks later...

anyone having issues signing in on mobile?

forums say I'm not signed in and when I sign in, I get the same screen?

KByUM7n3fgr-ChC5fZdVgnEdCzCUuEoyzG-dF86XI2NNJldpxxXC8wqyZhCu0s6Cwqmy13j102xCPSCUEePlIakh_nfMieZclQrZ3xbrSVlqeXMI1hfmPu1l7YlE4L6gNtSDh0u1pFAFqLGSyZR6-ndtz0uBt1ZhKqIKmTXzV_xnNRi-HZNT7IBLLi2nscPZKXZsWbj9gpQYZA2zjKp-jtl2BHqiaeiPex05pgEMdkXdEBoq4HSzIUlehc1XL7dp0MV-bA6t7I-c6tJdHRCNQmyk3IcQhDAA88Hr-3DQ-aPNwn_B-WkDIPNmB5RhTklI_d1C_WXMgCcnMZQy1g6p4RRHPNuiiwNOLHx5MdYsbTafwXeAwGI73MKnMKLnVOc3LysvZW3IUMIC7t9rDnlNuBC7JaAftSGIzOUlCDesTmWxnReqPD6jSZrF0GOrQ3P-dqFwFQs6Yg3Hci_DTL5gVmja-nsznlbNwbRyOUV429juEtSCaa__htpU7urqQQiojmQMdhd0868N8lANw6CdAGKVSVTp7ehZaemCHOHXsHldOKB9pcuaNGDxJ6mygnQypHXCNR9NbkrP7nqQ43sXrIkONuMH-z8BGZ2Bo52amZW5BJa5_AhNT-gOgaEbHoSJT3oQ5k8PkTVsJwHnFyjzrN23pZ0ofUiY0WJ8onXDIyae-SGwH6s2J4p-poYhGb9qhW7Z2YmhEBcnGKpTkggRSnJl=w422-h937-no?authuser=2

When I sign in at the top, I takes me to classifieds as signed it, but no access to the forums

21 minutes ago, fanievb said:

anyone having issues signing in on mobile?

forums say I'm not signed in and when I sign in, I get the same screen?

KByUM7n3fgr-ChC5fZdVgnEdCzCUuEoyzG-dF86XI2NNJldpxxXC8wqyZhCu0s6Cwqmy13j102xCPSCUEePlIakh_nfMieZclQrZ3xbrSVlqeXMI1hfmPu1l7YlE4L6gNtSDh0u1pFAFqLGSyZR6-ndtz0uBt1ZhKqIKmTXzV_xnNRi-HZNT7IBLLi2nscPZKXZsWbj9gpQYZA2zjKp-jtl2BHqiaeiPex05pgEMdkXdEBoq4HSzIUlehc1XL7dp0MV-bA6t7I-c6tJdHRCNQmyk3IcQhDAA88Hr-3DQ-aPNwn_B-WkDIPNmB5RhTklI_d1C_WXMgCcnMZQy1g6p4RRHPNuiiwNOLHx5MdYsbTafwXeAwGI73MKnMKLnVOc3LysvZW3IUMIC7t9rDnlNuBC7JaAftSGIzOUlCDesTmWxnReqPD6jSZrF0GOrQ3P-dqFwFQs6Yg3Hci_DTL5gVmja-nsznlbNwbRyOUV429juEtSCaa__htpU7urqQQiojmQMdhd0868N8lANw6CdAGKVSVTp7ehZaemCHOHXsHldOKB9pcuaNGDxJ6mygnQypHXCNR9NbkrP7nqQ43sXrIkONuMH-z8BGZ2Bo52amZW5BJa5_AhNT-gOgaEbHoSJT3oQ5k8PkTVsJwHnFyjzrN23pZ0ofUiY0WJ8onXDIyae-SGwH6s2J4p-poYhGb9qhW7Z2YmhEBcnGKpTkggRSnJl=w422-h937-no?authuser=2

When I sign in at the top, I takes me to classifieds as signed it, but no access to the forums

Please try logging out via the home page and then back in.

If that doesn't work then clearing your browser cache & cookies should do the trick.