Lights

tinmug

Any recommendations for a good quality and durable tail light (that survives off-tar riding and muddy/sandy/wet conditions)?

????

Thanks. Ryder Marathon: one drawback with rechargeable is when the battery dies the entire device gets binned, but worth exploring at the price. How long have you had the device @DieselnDust? Use it in the rain much (only IPX4)? Garmin Varia: as with anything Garmin no doubt a well-made product. As with anything Garmin it's pricey ... and won't play with Wahoo. ????

It just seems* like everything is good for only one season. What a waste of (mostly) non-recyclable plastic. ????

* Haven't tried them all (yet).

5 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

Bontrager ion comp R 

Think the unconditional guarantee is 2 years 

That looks very good. Thank you for the recommendation. 

Flare RT for rear? 

Edited by tinmug

13 minutes ago, tinmug said:

Thanks. Ryder Marathon: one drawback with rechargeable is when the battery dies the entire device gets binned, but worth exploring at the price. How long have you had the device @DieselnDust? Use it in the rain much (only IPX4)? Garmin Varia: as with anything Garmin no doubt a well-made product. As with anything Garmin it's pricey ... and won't play with Wahoo. ????

It just seems* like everything is good for only one season. What a waste of (mostly) non-recyclable plastic. ????

* Haven't tried them all (yet).

I've had it for about 5 weeks. Its seen some rain and a lot of mud and is holding up unlike a few of my previous Ryder lights.

But if you looking for more solid products the Bontrager (as recommended) and Giant Recon TL100 would be my choice.

10 minutes ago, tinmug said:

Flare RT for rear? 

Definitely if you're thinking of front and back

Been cycling in the dark for close to 15 years now.

Garmin.  Lezyne.  Bontrager.  

There really is just ONE light out there that is worth the money for me:  https://www.exposurelights.co.za/

• Lasts for 10+ years
  • Decent run time.........3 hours at max and 12 hours at low......and by low I mean you can still do singletrack flat out on a night ride
  • No external battery pack

The local dude sits in Nelspruit and I received decent service from him.  Got my second light there.
First one was bought in the UK.

37 minutes ago, tinmug said:

Flare RT for rear? 

If you're in Gauteng , come to The Bike Store then I'll show you the details and a few other options.

59 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

Been cycling in the dark for close to 15 years now.

Garmin.  Lezyne.  Bontrager.  

There really is just ONE light out there that is worth the money for me:  https://www.exposurelights.co.za/

• Lasts for 10+ years
  • Decent run time.........3 hours at max and 12 hours at low......and by low I mean you can still do singletrack flat out on a night ride
  • No external battery pack

The local dude sits in Nelspruit and I received decent service from him.  Got my second light there.
First one was bought in the UK.

Good to know there's a local service agent if anything goes wrong with my MaxxD 7 again. I had an issue with the switch and sent it back to CCS. Lloyd sent it back to Exposure and I had it back 2 weeks later. 

1 hour ago, BaGearA said:

Bontrager ion comp R 

Think the unconditional guarantee is 2 years 

Confirmation 

30 day comfort guarantee  , if you dont like it for whatever reason exchange or refund.

1 year if whatever goes wrong it will be swapped for a new one 

27 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Good to know there's a local service agent if anything goes wrong with my MaxxD 7 again. I had an issue with the switch and sent it back to CCS. Lloyd sent it back to Exposure and I had it back 2 weeks later. 

2 weeks turnaround for UK is also not that bad.  I am impressed.  CSS usually takes 2 weeks to answer a mail......

MaxxD......that is some serious lumens.  ????

3 hours ago, tinmug said:

Any recommendations for a good quality and durable tail light (that survives off-tar riding and muddy/sandy/wet conditions)?

????

I've been switching between these two from Extreme Lights. They've been holding up great, good visibility and lasts long enough. The BackUp looks and feels a bit more premium - not sure if that'll faze you. 

https://www.extremelights.co.za/collections/bicycle-lights/products/phoenix-usb-rechargeable-rear-bicycle-light

https://www.extremelights.co.za/collections/bicycle-lights/products/backup-rear-bicycle-light