Garmin Fenix 6 or Fenix 6 Pro ?

eddy

6 hours ago, eddy said:

Doing chemo, some value in tracking some of the less obvious physiological responses.

Shucks man, that's pretty intense. Hope you're doing okay?

Here we're talking about the usefulness of features if you're a weekend warrior and your goal is to do a PB on a random strava segment that no one else in the world cares about, while you actually have a real use for the feautures. 

The F6 on takealot for R6500 is an amazing deal, and has everything you need I think. 

Good luck with the chemo bud

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Slightly off topic...please don't crucify me.

Has anyone tried the Tactix Delta? I'm considering getting one. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

On 7/31/2021 at 1:55 PM, eddy said:

Doing chemo, some value in tracking some of the less obvious physiological responses.

Ouch ...

Wishing you all the best on this road.

My VivoActive 4 tracks sleep, stress, etc ... it even can do the oxy measurement.

Theoretically it has about 7 days battery.

Realistically the gps reduces this as you do more walking and cycling ...

This is more of smart watch, and does not have all the sports functions though. Not sure if it will tick all your boxes

I put a Fenix 6 in my Takealot basket whilst I drew on the combined Hub wisdom.

By the time I got back to it a day or so later it was no longer there and I made a note to buy one as soon as I had a moment. 

Before I could, the doorbell rang and there was this:

20210805_210833.jpg.89e94c3f6f54ea8cbfb3b3deb9314c26.jpg

And inside was this :

20210805_210919.jpg.fd02f2381898069295ba7027c76ba19d.jpg

The support of your loved ones is priceless...

Fenix 6 Pro's have just gone on sale here in NZ. Many retailers selling them for 640 NZD (about R6400), usually they're around 1200 NZD.

I'm so damn tempted to upgrade my trusty Fenix 3 (about 7yrs old), but in reality I don't strava or use a fraction of its functions.

Talk me outta it! :lol:

2 minutes ago, patches said:

Fenix 6 Pro's have just gone on sale here in NZ. Many retailers selling them for 640 NZD (about R6400), usually they're around 1200 NZD.

I'm so damn tempted to upgrade my trusty Fenix 3 (about 7yrs old), but in reality I don't strava or use a fraction of its functions.

Pretty jelly that you live in NZ, so I'm rather gonna talk you into making bad decisions.

You'll never know how useful the features are until you actually have them. Like cruise control in a car.... it might seem unnecessary, until you've had it and used it on a long trip. After that, you'll never buy a car without it. Buy the F6 figure out if its unnecessary later. 

8 hours ago, patches said:

Buy it. The battery life alone is worth the money

Hi guys,

Thinking of getting a Garmin watch as well. Not sure if i need to get a Fitness watch or smartwatch.

I have Garmin 520 on my bike so I just need something to do sleep tracking, body battery etc when im off the bike.

Someone mentioned a Fenix 6 might be overkill? Is this where a Vivoactive 4 or Venu 2 is more ideal for off the bike monitoring? 

@Eddy. Stay strong there boss.

I'm in the market for a new device myself. I have a Suunto spartan trainer and my other half has a Suunto 5. I'm thinking about going Suunto 5 but my fiance reckons I should maybe look at another brand, My watch is on it's way out. I think water got into it somehow and I think it's a matter of time.

I'd like the Garmin Instict Solar Surf but the price! Eish Baba.

22 minutes ago, Duane_Bosch said:

@Eddy. Stay strong there boss.

I'm in the market for a new device myself. I have a Suunto spartan trainer and my other half has a Suunto 5. I'm thinking about going Suunto 5 but my fiance reckons I should maybe look at another brand, My watch is on it's way out. I think water got into it somehow and I think it's a matter of time.

I'd like the Garmin Instict Solar Surf but the price! Eish Baba.

On that, if you buy a Garmin and have a paid subscription, you can now link it to surf line and get videos of yourself surfing from any beach with a surf line live feed.......... Which I have just set up at Muizenberg. 

Surf line will officially go live in Cape Town over the next few days.

I'd go with a Garmin tbh. I'm thoroughly impressed with mine.

21 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I'd go with a Garmin tbh. I'm thoroughly impressed with mine.

Sorry for the hijack.

The part that attracts me to the Suunto 5 is that surfing is a pre loaded workout so I don't have to quickly edit my strava activity before people start to think I'm a SUPer. The part that pulls me away is that my spartan trainer is on it's way out already.

Just now, Duane_Bosch said:

Sorry for the hijack.

The part that attracts me to the Suunto 5 is that surfing is a pre loaded workout so I don't have to quickly edit my strava activity before people start to think I'm a SUPer. The part that pulls me away is that my spartan trainer is on it's way out already.

Surfing is pre loaded on my Fenix6 as well though. I just select the 'Surf' option and it loads everything accordingly. I have set up Riding, trail running and surfing as my 3 'easy access' activities on the menu, so they pop up 1st when I scroll.

I was a massive Suunto FanBoy but am thoroughly bought over by the better platform Garmin offers.

So is Fenix 6 overkill for non-cycling activities.

Essentially I need a watch to track daily activities like steps, calories burnt, fatigue etc 

11 hours ago, patches said:

Naaa, if you not going to use the added functions whats the point. 

But its a very cool device. And sometimes coolness just makes all the difference. 

Thats a nice discount, cant get it for that money here, discounts aint nowhere close to that. Possibly the 7 or 6 plus plus is on the way 

41 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Surfing is pre loaded on my Fenix6 as well though. I just select the 'Surf' option and it loads everything accordingly. I have set up Riding, trail running and surfing as my 3 'easy access' activities on the menu, so they pop up 1st when I scroll.

I was a massive Suunto FanBoy but am thoroughly bought over by the better platform Garmin offers.

Although I don’t surf, I have to agree. I have been using Suunto watches for almost 15 years now, and have the Spartan Ultra currently. Been considering a 9 for a while, but have been convinced my next watch will be garmin. The platform is just so much better in almost every capacity. Suunto has some serious catching up to do.

6 hours ago, silverboy said:

Someone mentioned a Fenix 6 might be overkill? Is this where a Vivoactive 4 or Venu 2 is more ideal for off the bike monitoring?

Yes, F6 is probably overkill. But the good kind of overkill. 

But at the moment, the vivo 4 is R5000 on takelot, the Venu 2 is R7700, and a few days ago the F6 was R6500.

At that price, it's by far the best of them all just for the battery life, and it's also a far more robust design. I could never justify buying a vivo 4 or venu 2 if the F6 is R6500. 

The price on takealot is R8500 at the moment though, but it'll probably be on sale again soon as the F7 is rumored to launch soon. 

In terms of smart watch vs garmin/"sports watch" - Not sure how much more than viewing messages, seeing who's calling, and seeing calendar events I really want on my watch. Garmin does all of that, and you don't have to charge it every night.