AmaShova 2021 - Route Changed

pedal menace

So - just got the mail that the AmaShova organizers deemed it fit to make complete route changes to the event.  No more PMB to DBN but just a ride in and around DBN -0 much shorter now as well. Now before I get the usual - it is COVID and this and that and we should expect anything - MY BLOOD IS BOILING! It does not seem to be CV19 related but other reasons! Roadworks etc! I made bookings in PMB - paid for etc etc - booked flights etc etc. Why change things so late!!!! Surely this is (AGAIN) not the best way to handle this. Or is my sudden burst in anger unwarranted? I am now going to try and cancel all bookings and write off my entry! 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am fuming - think I need to quickly go for a 300km ride - that is the time I will need to calm down! It is utterly shocking and extremely poorly handled. No wonder so many events see entries reducing so quickly. I guess we will see a flood of entries for sale soon

Also farking mad. 

We are doing the whole JHB 2 DBN cycle and all accommodation in PMB booked and pd for.

Now we have to find a way of getting to DBN for the start. What a F...ing slap the face.

Very poor show from the organizers.

3 minutes ago, FondTF2 said:

Also farking mad. 

We are doing the whole JHB 2 DBN cycle and all accommodation in PMB booked and pd for.

Now we have to find a way of getting to DBN for the start. What a F...ing slap the face.

Very poor show from the organizers.

Fortunately I'll be DBN based for the long weekend, so there is some relief for me.

But still, I bought a frikkin' different bike for this event (disc brakes FTW). 

6 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

Beat me to it guys. I'm furious. Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't this just be the Tour Durban route, which is anyway the same at the 70.3 route?

https://www.shova.co.za/route-map/

It is pretty much! My wife is still trying to calm me down! This was going to be the first time for me doing this - have been cycling for 22 years and have done most - just not this one. Now - I will have to wait until next year (if I am calmed down by then)

Edited by pedal menace

1 minute ago, pedal menace said:

It is pretty much! My wife is still trying to calm me down! This was going to be the first time for me doing this - have been cycling for 22 years and have done most - just not this one. Now - I will have to wait until next year (if I am calmed down by then)

I thought we (not GW ????) did it poorly in the Souf (recycling, mind the pun, routes and rebranding as a different event). At least we, GW, had the balz to reinvent our race to emulate the current crop of TTT events. 

Did Shova some years ago and found the point to point nature of the original route difficult to manage logistically in terms of getting to/from start/finish.

From that point of view I would appreciate it being within Durban but understand the frustrations of the late change.

31 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

Beat me to it guys. I'm furious. Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't this just be the Tour Durban route, which is anyway the same at the 70.3 route?

https://www.shova.co.za/route-map/

No this wont be the Tour Durban route. You will be riding inland from Durban to Shongweni and back.

++++

This out and back ride from outside Moses Mabhida Stadium to Shongweni and back will make for much easier logistics for cyclists wishing to participate in the longer distance

++++

Lets all wait in anticipation for the new route profile

Think it will be pretty much

/ first 40kays \ last 40 kays

Quite disappointed in the route change, but I can imagine the bus transfers especially being a tricky one for organisers with Covid regulations.
But to change it so late is definitely not nice, specifically for all the people who've booked accommodation in PMB.

We booked at the Suncoast Towers just a few weeks ago, so thankfully I don't have to change that.

This route is then a bit past Hillcrest and back? I don't know the area that well.

Making a change without posting the route is a bit amateurish. I would have the route, even if it’s a link to GC, Komoot, Strava, RidewithGPS, etc., prepared and shown on the website. Would avoid unnecessary confusion and frustration.

image.png.1638929103fe37374fa81ec684c8db92.png

14 minutes ago, Veebee said:

You will be riding inland from Durban to Shongweni and back.

Makes sense to use the existing half of the route, and something I would be happy to do.

What annoys me is I only entered this past Sunday without any notice on the website, I mean come on you know things may change.
I emailed Melissa and got a very generic response with a whole bunch of excuses they knew about months ago and without a response to my actual question, can I get a refund????
In my mind this is false advertising at its finest but what do I know..... Not sure where we can lodge an official complaint CSA maybe? 
image.png.12c9a3ee5834d06121691f678bb63c04.png

Edited by gazzer

I was hoping that due to this they would at least offer a transfer to next year - but that would be asking way toooooooo much I guess