AmaShova 2021 - Route Changed

pedal menace

6 minutes ago, gazzer said:

What annoys me is I only entered this past Sunday without any notice on the website, I mean come on you know things may change.
I emailed Melissa and got a very generic response with a whole bunch of excuses they knew about months ago and without a response to my actual question, can I get a refund????
In my mind this is false advertising at its finest but what do I know..... Not sure where we can lodge an official complaint CSA maybe? 
image.png.12c9a3ee5834d06121691f678bb63c04.png

Let's be honest - these are valid reasons - BUT.......not one of them was something that happened this week or last - these reasons, albeit somewhat valid, should have forced an earlier broadcast about the route change. I think they wanted as many entries as possible - hence only communicating this after closing date for entries. This - is what p**** me off! 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, pedal menace said:

Let's be honest - these are valid reasons - BUT.......not one of them was something that happened this week or last - these reasons, albeit somewhat valid, should have forced an earlier broadcast about the route change. I think they wanted as many entries as possible - hence only communicating this after closing date for entries. This - is what p**** me off! 

I feel the exact same, all of these reason are 100% valid no denying that, but then when I go to your page to enter tell me that I may not ride the route because of XYZ, don't hide it from me. They could have broadcast this on the website and facebook but instead left it. 
I just hope more cyclists complain, this is not acceptable. 

3 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

Yip , you are 100% correct .

Not good as far as I am concerned , and I  also got that generic email response .

Think this was a dealt with a bit underhandedly .

1 hour ago, Thomo said:

Did Shova some years ago and found the point to point nature of the original route difficult to manage logistically in terms of getting to/from start/finish.

From that point of view I would appreciate it being within Durban but understand the frustrations of the late change.

It is what is is mate, the route is from PMB to Durban, people have been doing it for years despite the logistics.

Although my sister used to live in Pmb and my niece in Durban, so i was blessed logistics wise, now they both live in Durban so will probably bus in or stay with friends in Howick, a lot further out but closer than durban i suppose.

Will be back next year, too close to CTCT this year

1 hour ago, gazzer said:

What annoys me is I only entered this past Sunday without any notice on the website, I mean come on you know things may change.
I emailed Melissa and got a very generic response with a whole bunch of excuses they knew about months ago and without a response to my actual question, can I get a refund????
In my mind this is false advertising at its finest but what do I know..... Not sure where we can lodge an official complaint CSA maybe? 

Send a complaint to:

dellah at cyclingsa dot com, and secretarygeneral at cyclingsa dot com

Let the organizer explain to them why. I’ve had to do this for complaints at the event my club organisers. As petty as the complaints are, they need to be raised, and dealt with.

1 hour ago, Martin PJ said:

Oh well, I always wondered what would happen if we had to race up Field's Hill, now I get to find out.

I have run up it many a time. Now I get to ride up it

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Send a complaint to:

dellah at cyclingsa dot com, and secretarygeneral at cyclingsa dot com

Let the organizer explain to them why. I’ve had to do this for complaints at the event my club organisers. As petty as the complaints are, they need to be raised, and dealt with.

Tx! Please let us know if you get a response...any response. 

Now very happy I did not enter this year, hopefully this will change back next year. That route has a special place for me, as it was my first ever race. 

This new route is going to be uphill for +-40km and then downhill for +-40km. Quite disappointed but I guess nothing we can do. Can't imagine how people must feel that have already booked accommodation in PMB...

6 hours ago, Thomo said:

Did Shova some years ago and found the point to point nature of the original route difficult to manage logistically in terms of getting to/from start/finish.

From that point of view I would appreciate it being within Durban but understand the frustrations of the late change.

That's what made this race unique, pmb start to Dbn finish. That's why riders fork out a rough R550 to ride a route which is usually off limits. 

Leaving the news about the route change until AFTER the entries close, was strategic. Less riders than entries, more 'keep money', less expenses without adjusting the entry fee. 

Bunch of skelms. 

5 hours ago, gazzer said:

So they weren't even sure if the event was going to take place, but they eagerly accepted entry fees. What if they did not get the go ahead. Would they have refunded everyone, or hide behind some clause in their rules? Demand a full refund if that's what you want. 

50 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

GC typically over-estimates elevation gain. But still, rather more than what I'm used to. 

Capture.PNG

I’m sure the route won’t go onto the N3 (at Shongweni - like your file shows at 40-55Km mark).
It should be on the M13 only, and the final run in to the finish like the normal route.
The course@Mongoose Man created looks correct.

Edited by Frosty