Merida carbon hard tail *PLEASE HELP*

Karlhub

7 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

I would drill it as well, the only problem I see with drilling it though, those holes are not straight, and it is going to be pretty difficult making a new hole at an angle like that

How so? A small 3mm flat divot, then set on the angle for a 3mm pilot hole for the 5mm bit to bite and follow.

It's hella basic and easy to do, even if you only have a G-clamp and hand drill. With a bench vice or drill press even easier

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Top tip: get a good quality drill bit. I broke a bit a week ago and the remaining part still in the drill went straight through my hand. 

Dont be like me. Be drill smart. 

Personally i wouldnt try for a third hole. Rather open up the existing two holes to accommodate three cables. 

Before all that though make sure your bb shell is open at the top to accommodate the cable. 

Also… does the frame have cable guides inside or is it just open?

12 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

Top tip: get a good quality drill bit. I broke a bit a week ago and the remaining part still in the drill went straight through my hand. 

Dont be like me. Be drill smart. 

Personally i wouldnt try for a third hole. Rather open up the existing two holes to accommodate three cables. 

Before all that though make sure your bb shell is open at the top to accommodate the cable. 

Also… does the frame have cable guides inside or is it just open?

Yes the Merida frame should have a solid aluminium insert for the BB. Might require a bit of fishing to find an opening but removing bb wont help with that.

Screenshot_20211101-082008-1.jpg

Edited by Barry

9 minutes ago, Barry said:

Yes the Merida frame should have a solid aluminium insert for the BB. Might require a bit of fishing to find an opening but removing bb wont help with that.

Ok i am no expert so just my opinion but i am sure you could make two holes in the aluminum and run your cable. 

Finding a route in the frame with a fish might be first prize. 

15 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

The other cables are internally routed and enter/exit via a changeable port.

I am 97% certain I could set up a dropper post on the bike in an hour

i agree it is not a complicated task, just a little imagination and understanding of how it all works and done.

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

The other cables are internally routed and enter/exit via a changeable port.

I am 97% certain I could set up a dropper post on the bike in an hour

I concur 100% , just drill that 3rd hole and feed that cable ....looks pretty easy

8 hours ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Hope whoever said "get a new bike" is someone you like. That is the worst advice, so many solutions on this post alone ????????‍♂️

Disagree.

"Get a new bike" is always the best advice, for any bike related problem.

1 hour ago, Barry said:

My bike has a similar BB setup to this. Some, wool, a vacuum cleaner and a bit of patience sorted it all out.

I know you said it was a 2018 model. Did you buy it new? 

Drilling anything on a new frame will void your warranty. 

If it was second hand, then you won't have a issue as their is no warranty to lose. 

6 minutes ago, Eugene said:

I know you said it was a 2018 model. Did you buy it new? 

Drilling anything on a new frame will void your warranty. 

If it was second hand, then you won't have a issue as their is no warranty to lose. 

Did you see what he is drilling?

IF he has any sort of warranty claim he can just buy a non drilled removeable hose tab? 

I actually can't believe all the split hairs over this.

Drill it, feed the cable through the bend, fish it, fit it and forget it

5 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Did you see what he is drilling?

IF he has any sort of warranty claim he can just buy a non drilled removeable hose tab? 

I actually can't believe all the split hairs over this.

Drill it, feed the cable through the bend, fish it, fit it and forget it

Oh... I thought it was the frame he was drilling.

Is it just me or is it completely whack that there's no port on the left hand side the head tube to feed something into 

I've seen many bikes that come with no dropper or remote for suspension that still have a port on both sides. 

Really weird