Expensive Bikes

JJason

4 hours ago, JJason said:

browsing the adds...????

what sort of bike and price range are you looking ... are there any decent parts you can save off your old bike if you manage to find a decent frame replacement?

21 minutes ago, Hairy said:

simple things like the price of raw materials that go into the manufacture of alum is stupidly expensive and short in stock, so this gets passed on again and again, and again to the end consumer.

in the building industry there have also been steep price increases thanks to factors such as the above.

It is almost impossible to accurately estimate project costs ....

Had a tender recently where the one component came back at 215% of the estimated value !!!

Increases in steel, or plainly the short supply, etc blamed.  Punch line, in an open tender the prices are going "ape" ....

9 hours ago, GhostSixFour said:

There was this little thing going around called COVID-19. You might've heard something about it. Anyway, it really did a number on global supply chains and stocking predications went to hell. Then, there was a ship called the Evergrande that was doing donuts in the Suez Canals that caused some further delays.

These things conspired together to make things more expensive, but the cycling industry got hit hard as well.

You left out that other little thing called profit margin, which also seems to have increased since the start of covid. With global demand on sporting goods hitting an all time high, there was most certainly some profiteering going on.

17 hours ago, Hamstring said:

container prices are up from pre COVID when we paid +- US$1500.00 and now US$8500.00 to US$10000.00 for a 6 foot.

beeeeg if you can get one

18 hours ago, Fisan said:

Man, forget about the latest and greatest. Buying second/hand demo stock/older models can save lots of $$$. No more BS about supply chains and inflation.

E,g, - sure, external shocks are so 2021, but for only R105k you can walk away with this bargain.

To be fair, this is a new bike. Don't know if you are being sarcastic, but IMO this is a huge bargain. 

23 hours ago, JJason said:

Hi all

Can someone maybe explain 

I had a nice Carbon bike, got damaged and need to replace it now,
but for the past 3-4 years I never relay looked at buying  a new one and only read through new release articles

But now that I need to buy one..

Is Carbon out and Aluminium in now a days ? as Alumium bikes cost more than what Carbon bikes use to cost and carbon bikes are even worse  

did I miss something or did bikes really get this expensive ??????

If you think the price of a carbon Dual Sus 29er is bad then you should check out the prices on carbon 12" kids bikes at your nearest Specialized.

14 hours ago, GrahamS2 said:

You left out that other little thing called profit margin, which also seems to have increased since the start of covid. With global demand on sporting goods hitting an all time high, there was most certainly some profiteering going on.

agree, like all industries , make 150 % on the ones that are still willing to buy a bike 

17 minutes ago, M L said:

If you think the price of a carbon Dual Sus 29er is bad then you should check out the prices on carbon 12" kids bikes at your nearest Specialized.

think its time we move back to the Makro Specials for 2999 inlc free helmet ????

5 hours ago, Danger Dassie said:

Shutup and take my first born! 

5 hours ago, Danger Dassie said:

Shutup and take my first born! 

now that's what I call n nice bike!!

19 hours ago, Hairy said:

what sort of bike and price range are you looking ... are there any decent parts you can save off your old bike if you manage to find a decent frame replacement?

Im looking into this as an option as my frame was damaged but shocks and drive train was still good, so checking out what's the best option 

On 11/8/2021 at 3:09 PM, GhostSixFour said:

There was this little thing going around called COVID-19. You might've heard something about it. Anyway, it really did a number on global supply chains and stocking predications went to hell. Then, there was a ship called the Evergrande that was doing donuts in the Suez Canals that caused some further delays.

These things conspired together to make things more expensive, but the cycling industry got hit hard as well.

Don’t forget to include that the Democrats trumped the US elections and opened up trade talks again with China. They have since, which is part of the reason for the shortage of containers, and the $13500 cost to ship from China to SA.

1 hour ago, JJason said:

Im looking into this as an option as my frame was damaged but shocks and drive train was still good, so checking out what's the best option 

If you can stretch your ZAR to the PYGA frames you would be doing well.