Giro D'Italia 2024: Chirps, Buzz and Updates

'Dale

What a papsopnat Giro, hey. Not to mention the veld fire spread of the gogga. Australian TT champ and UAE GC prospect, Jay Vine, struggled with the cold yesterday and had a slow motion crash as he could not execute a turn as his fingers were frozen stiff.

The crash today involved the Maglia Rosa and he had a soft landing on a UAE rider. He did whack his hip. Hard to believe that it’s Gee’s first time in this leader’s jersey. Roglič was also injured and has a laceration and bruises on his hip. Gotta keep the infection out. Geoghegan had to abandon and is in hospital for medical examination. How quickly IG’s fortunes have changed after having 5 teammates in the top 15 or something. My word, it’s like pinball out there.

As a Primož fan, I hope he can persevere. Hopefully there’s not too much bruising and the Slovenian can power efficiently up the gradients without any issue. Week 3 is just a mammoth of mountain goat festival.

Stage 13 has been shortened by 8 kms and rerouted through the mountain tunnel instead of summitting the col du Grand Saint-Bernard. Urghhhhh, snowed under pass, typical of the Giro in May. 

And the Manx Missile overcame that crazy crash and seems to be getting his freelance sprinting powers in line. A solid finish for the legend today, being eclipsed by Ackermann and that mountain man Milan.

Giro - drama, drama, suspense. Don’t blink.

IMG_0811.jpeg

Edited by 'Dale

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Vetplant said:

🤞Remco vs Pog vs Vingegaard

Yes please!

22km of ITT is apparently not enticing for Remco, but la vuelta 2022 was 30km so who knows.

I can believe the story that S-QS doesn't have the mountain tjaainas to go for a GC challenge at TdF. but how bedondered would it be if Remco joined JAP as a stage hunter for a week and then did other stuff?

6 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

22km of ITT is apparently not enticing for Remco, but la vuelta 2022 was 30km so who knows.

I can believe the story that S-QS doesn't have the mountain tjaainas to go for a GC challenge at TdF. but how befok would it be if Remco joined JAP as a stage hunter for a week and then did other stuff?

I just added the correct Afrikaans lingo....👍

(Apologies to those who find it offensive)

1 hour ago, Vetplant said:

(Apologies to those who find it offensive)

today's Giro stage

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvTW2jcVIFXiFylk3jktJjkHh_t0oluWlddw&usqp=CAU

or more local

Cape Town gangs and drugs, - Cape Town - South Africa

Fork it, more rain forecasted today with a lowly 13 degrees.

There are ideas floating around by the race organisers to finish a week later next year to end on a special national day in early June. Maybe this will help the Giro to move a bit closer to the European summer. However, climatologists are saying that the weather gods are unpredictable and that seasonal trends are no longer trends and it will only become more unpredictable.

I suspect the breakaway artists will make another move today on what is a relatively short stage at 179 kms for this Giro. Does deMarchi have the legs to go again? Could be another throw of the dice for the punchy and low CDA'ed Ben in his pink Rapha jersey?

There will be a GC battle though if you look at what is a lekka climb deep into stage 12.

About the crashes - obviously the wet roads are greasy as hell and I think that the racers are taking massive risks in order to stay in contention. What a tough job! I take risks in my profession and I will not lose skin, end up concussed or break a hip like the unfortunate Geoghegan.

We are halfway through this race and about 40 racers have exited as a result of the gogga. 

Go, Ski Jumper Jumbo!spacer.png

Weather has been miserable. Italy clearly having some crap weather at the moment.

Imola GP this weekend has been cancelled due to extreme weather and flooding

On the weather topic: it has been an insanely wet May in Pretoorsdorp. Really unseasonnally wet. 

Weather patterns seem very confused. Not surprised that other regions experience similar random weather events. 

1 hour ago, FondTF2 said:

Weather has been miserable. Italy clearly having some crap weather at the moment.

Some nasty flooding has hit some parts. I think cancelled events are the smallest issue some are facing right now. 

2023-05-18 13 17 27.jpg

8 hours ago, FondTF2 said:

Saw some pictures of the place the Alpine F1 team were staying at. Properly spoeling away.

It's freaking wet in Austria at the moment - it's hard not to get excited about it as an ex-Capetonian, but it meant a 45 minute detour 5 hours into a ride today just to cross a small river and getting home looking like I'd lost a mud wrestling competition. 

1 hour ago, Vetplant said:

Telling it straight:

That was hard to read, ok definitely not wasting money on proofreaders/ghost writers

Wonder if someone will actually challenge him to this?!