Attakwas 2022

DIPSLICK

7 hours ago, babse said:

Booked my accommodation already sooo.. 😑

Their rolling start worked a bombed in this year's addition. 

Holding thumbs all goes ahead. 

Is it true what they say, incorporate hiking in your training, I’m not going to lie

youtube I normally consider my friend for info,,,, so far not so much for the clips of the riders hiking many Kms 😮😮😮on Attakwas 

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, DIPSLICK said:

Is it true what they say, incorporate hiking in your training, I’m not going to lie

youtube I normally consider my friend for info,,,, so far not so much for the clips of the riders hiking many Kms 😮😮😮on Attakwas 

There are a few ridiculously steep climbs where many (outside the racing snakes) walk, and most of those that ride those sections are no faster than the peeps who walk beside them - but I wouldn't say you would walk many kilometers?

Some of the rollers near the end may make you walk if you are not fit enough but If you are going to put in the hours I would rather train to ride climbs than walk them.

6 hours ago, DIPSLICK said:

What Skubarra said...

Most of the steep rock section are rideable but at a very slow pace. I much prefer staying on the bike than walking. These section aren't long so I definitely don't see the need to Hike train rather steep climb train instead. All the best.

1 hour ago, lil to the Lefty said:

Attakwas with 5 weeks of training... Am I crazy? 

Depends what you have been doing for the last 2/3 months?

I too took a few days off the bike and will start within the next few days again, however the last few months have been decent so not too concerned. Hoping for a solid 5 weeks though 🤞 

1 minute ago, babse said:

Depends what you have been doing for the last 2/3 months?

I too took a few days off the bike and will start within the next few days again, however the last few months have been decent so not too concerned. Hoping for a solid 5 weeks though 🤞 

Probably 150k a week.. No seriaas structure, just riding. I plan to do a few 6+ hour rides in the coming weeks, so I should be fine ( cautiously optimistic)  

I think 5 weeks should be enough if you have a decent base but if you are starting fresh you might be in trouble 🙂

1 minute ago, _David_ said:

I think 5 weeks should be enough if you have a decent base but if you are starting fresh you might be in trouble 🙂

hahaha ya ney 

• 3 weeks later...

Is the route for the half attakwas open in general at any time of the year, or does it go through any private land that's only open for the race?

• 2 weeks later...

So I took a proper face plant in Cape Town,(rookie) mistake to say the least

I’m out my ribs are killing me my partner says he is out ,, so who wants an entry(2) that can’t afford the race,  as I sure as hell can’t do it would rather pay it forward than sell it, for someone who can’t afford it

PS

thanks to Tyrone who helped me at my accident scene if he is a Hubber, all healed up but the RIBS are a hard NO 

MUCH APPRECIATED FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE I WILL PAY IT FORWARD👊🏻👊🏻👊🏻

10 hours ago, DIPSLICK said:

I’m out my ribs are killing me my partner says he is out ,, so who wants an entry(2) that can’t afford the race,  as I sure as hell can’t do it would rather pay it forward than sell it, for someone who can’t afford it

PS

thanks to Tyrone who helped me at my accident scene if he is a Hubber, all healed up but the RIBS are a hard NO 

Thought you were tapering...

Sorry to read this news big guy. Heal up and hope to catch you in Jozi sometime soon. 

10 hours ago, DIPSLICK said:

PS

Not lekker... all the best with the mend and hope it nothing too serious. Have it checked out, a rib is broken happens easier than you think.

I too unfortunately have pulled on the event too after sitting out festive500 with covid and now recovering from what seems like a tummy bug. 

2023 it is then 

Heal up @DIPSLICK. May you get back in the saddle soon, but take care of the ribs, and for safety have a scan done if you haven't. My toppie has a mate who took a tumble on his mtb many years ago. He is an optometrist. Anyway, long story short, he crashed in KZN doing some event, finished, drove home to Alberton, and next day went in to his practice, albeit in some pain. Later that day he could not bear the pain any longer and popped in to a mate for a x-ray. 2 hours later he was on the theater table having his punctured lung repaired.