Attakwas 2022

DIPSLICK

8 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Can I ask you guys, what is the actual appeal of the event?

(I've done a few, old longer route and newer rout - last one in 2016)

Looking back on it, I can honestly not figure out what the appeal is for the race. Other than 'long and adverse' and a suffer brag, the A to B format makes for unnecessary admin, the route is mostly district roads and jeep tracks and often sandy. 

I am genuinely interested to know as the more I have thought about it, the less and less appealing the event is for me. What keeps everyone going back? Or is it just the £hellofthesouth tag?

For me I will be in the area, (sadly I have to extend my break another week)  thats sarcasm

Ive done 3 sani, 2 joberg2c,  2 3 towers I am planning a looong break going to Bloem to ride with Vetseun  for a few days

Then I am going to ride with Fabes (sadly) but more importantly I`m going to be riding with his LEGEND TOPPIE,iN PEE.EEE 4 days

then blouberg I have got a few rides planned 8 days

then Im in cape town for 10 days plan to do a good couple of rides

then Mossel bay with Escapee(god help me) and if I extend that for a week I should either be well rested or well lubricated for ATTA,,,, as I am in joberg it just makes sense taking advantage of the situation

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Looking back on it, I can honestly not figure out what the appeal is for the race. Other than 'long and adverse' and a suffer brag, the A to B format makes for unnecessary admin, the route is mostly district roads and jeep tracks and often sandy. 

I am genuinely interested to know as the more I have thought about it, the less and less appealing the event is for me. What keeps everyone going back? Or is it just the £hellofthesouth tag?

For me an A to B format is part of the appeal here and for many of the biggest mtb races its about completing the journey - Karoo2Coast, Trans Baviaans. Sani2C comes to mind. And its proper mtb'ing despite not having purpose-built singletrack. And lastly it being proper tough part of the appeal, think its a hard balance to get right for organisers, make it too tough and the event will fail, not an event you can really wing while being unfit, you have to work for that medal.

Just now, DIPSLICK said:

as far as bragging rights,,,,, I first have to get my dikgat over the mountains to do that

Just make sure you get it on top of the mountain - gravity will take care of the rest ????

1 hour ago, Blokman said:

On Saturday after the race I can have Skaapnek at Transkaroo and the missus pays.

This is the correct answer ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Since my 1st one the goal has always been to chase that elusive Sub 6 hours. Kept missing the target for 5 years, always coming in between 6:05-6:30 region. Until I got that Sub 6 and said never again. Took 1 year break & went back this year with the aim of improving the time because I felt that the previous Sub 6 was a scrape through and not convincing enough. Managed the PB and the bonus was winning the Vets Category, Super chuffed. I guess if I go back again it can only be to do another PB or break top 15 but this wont be achieved at 2022 edition as I'm taking a 2 week break after DC, so a realistic goal is for 2023 who knows perhaps I just Fun Ride it January. I still tell me people today you haven't mountain biked yet until you've Attakwas'd.

It's the premier "1 Day Classic" on the MTB'ing Calender. Has a bit of everything.

16 minutes ago, milky4130 said:

Since my 1st one the goal has always been to chase that elusive Sub 6 hours. Kept missing the target for 5 years, always coming in between 6:05-6:30 region. Until I got that Sub 6 and said never again. Took 1 year break & went back this year with the aim of improving the time because I felt that the previous Sub 6 was a scrape through and not convincing enough. Managed the PB and the bonus was winning the Vets Category, Super chuffed. I guess if I go back again it can only be to do another PB or break top 15 but this wont be achieved at 2022 edition as I'm taking a 2 week break after DC, so a realistic goal is for 2023 who knows perhaps I just Fun Ride it January. I still tell me people today you haven't mountain biked yet until you've Attakwas'd.

It's the premier "1 Day Classic" on the MTB'ing Calender. Has a bit of everything.

yster...

come ride social with me while I try PB ????

Attakwas is a lekka challenge no matter your level. In many ways it reminds me more of the Tankwa Trek than K2C. Still need to do TB.

Like Milky, am chasing my barrier, like the Argust. Did my sub3 there but still need to get my sub 7 at Atta. Was on track last time but then suffered a bad mechanical in the last 50km.

Can only dream of a sub 6. But as a master, that's not really on the cards. Ever. It's also awesome being in the middle on nowhere with amazing views (if you're not a racing snake)

5 hours ago, jcza said:

Will be number 9 for me. Hope to find some form. Still the toughest day on a bike for me other than maybe the Ultra at Sabie. 

Old man what time are you and the youngster going for,

and how’s about some previous times you old goat????

3 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Because it is doable for most . It is the planning ,the training ,the preparation ,the anticipation and then the achievement of something you challenged yourself with and overcame . It is the addictive drug of self accomplishment that draws people back again and again .Same drug as the Absa Cape Epic or Magalies Monster ,Munga ext .To feel really alive in our mundane existence   

Anybody done the "Attakwas Half"?  Any comparison between this and the 56km route at Eselfontein ?

Seems this is open ebikes(the short route).  Also seems to start and end at the same point, making the logistics a lot easier.

Now I have an itch ....

3 hours ago, DIPSLICK said:

Old man what time are you and the youngster going for,

and how’s about some previous times you old goat????

I’ll be happy with sub 7:30 but who knows? Maybe I can get angry youngster to sit in the wind for 40km home. 

11 hours ago, Larry Montana said:

Go as hard as you can from the gun, it makes the last 40km more fun...

You may it will add value for money based you will get your max time in the saddle for those kms ????