Attakwas 2022

DIPSLICK

Morning All, I looked I cannot find any threads if there are apologies please send link, If there are none, who`s doing it and do tell more

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

be ready to SUFFER

I did my first one this year, thank goodness it was in August otherwise this dikgat would have died in those mountains.

It's pretty all the way up to 80km (Bonnyvale or something) then the "gentle rolling hills mountains start

Wear comfy shoes, you will be walking up some of those climbs they are steep, loose and technical.

What are the logistics like? Thats always been a major stumbling block for me as getting from George-Race-George sounds like a massive hassle.

2 minutes ago, Paulst12 said:

What are the logistics like? Thats always been a major stumbling block for me as getting from George-Race-George sounds like a massive hassle.

Hook up with someone to drive with and pay (halfies) for car transfer from start to finish 

13 minutes ago, fanievb said:

be ready to SUFFER

I did my first one this year, thank goodness it was in August otherwise this dikgat would have died in those mountains.

It's pretty all the way up to 80km (Bonnyvale or something) then the "gentle rolling hills mountains start

Wear comfy shoes, you will be walking up some of those climbs they are steep, loose and technical.

I always said I will never do a Hike, I dont hike, I Bike, but I have been conned into this one,,, 

but ja my dikgat = looong hikes and looonger hours

Edited by DIPSLICK

I've entered for my 5th. First was 2016 . Skipped '19 and '20. I am right at the back. Due to an injury in August my fitness is well below what is needed . We holiday in the area from mid Dec. So I'm hoping to do some hills on the roads behind Grootbrak and Mosselbay.

1 hour ago, Paulst12 said:

What babse said - with the car transfer service logistics not really an issue (but it is a bit pricy)

13 minutes ago, W@nted said:

I just wish they could change the dates to within the school holiday. 

It falls within the coastal school holidays ????

But yes I agree - a week earlier would make planning so much easier for everybody

9 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

It falls within the coastal school holidays ????

But yes I agree - a week earlier would make planning so much easier for everybody

Exactly. We are in the George area for holiday and need to be back usually the first week in January for kids to go to school. For me travel back to george the following weekend again is just not feasible.

Edited by W@nted

3 hours ago, fanievb said:

be ready to SUFFER

Bonnydale farm !I ride that area over December and would love to do the event ,but the timing is just not good .An earlier date like the first week in the year will work soooo much better .I have spoken to dryland about it ,but their staff only return the second week in Jan , so i ride sections of the route during December 

Edited by eala

Can I ask you guys, what is the actual appeal of the event?

(I've done a few, old longer route and newer rout - last one in 2016)

Looking back on it, I can honestly not figure out what the appeal is for the race. Other than 'long and adverse' and a suffer brag, the A to B format makes for unnecessary admin, the route is mostly district roads and jeep tracks and often sandy. 

I am genuinely interested to know as the more I have thought about it, the less and less appealing the event is for me. What keeps everyone going back? Or is it just the £hellofthesouth tag?

5 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Can I ask you guys, what is the actual appeal of the event?

(I've done a few, old longer route and newer rout - last one in 2016)

Looking back on it, I can honestly not figure out what the appeal is for the race. Other than 'long and adverse' and a suffer brag, the A to B format makes for unnecessary admin, the route is mostly district roads and jeep tracks and often sandy. 

I am genuinely interested to know as the more I have thought about it, the less and less appealing the event is for me. What keeps everyone going back? Or is it just the £hellofthesouth tag?

bragging rights 

edit: but I won't be going back, one is enough

Edited by fanievb