Overberg Gravel Routes Sanity-check

MongooseMan

So the wife and I are heading to Swellendam between Christmas and New Years for a few nights, and I want to get some decent gravel rides in.

But, having never ridden the region before, and because I'll largely be solo (except for meeting her at coffee/lunch stops), I thought I'd get the routes sense-checked.

I want to do 3 rides, each around 90-110km.

Current plan is (routes linked):
1. Drive to Greyton, then I'll hop on the bike and go from there to Swellendam (this is pretty much the reverse of the CrossCape route, so "should" be ok? Also, will meet wife for lunch in Riviersonderend.) 
2. Do the ATP 100k (more or less). (Ferry should be operating, right?) 
3. A couple of options here, currently leaning towards Swellendam to Napier. Though, could also do Swellendam to Riversdale or Swellendam to MacGregor.

Questions:

• Are those routes ok? Any danger areas/private lands I've routed through?
  • I should be safe doing these solo, right? (Will have Garmin live-track on)
  • Will the ferry be running?
  • Any other suggestions (esp for day 3)?

Thanks!

Routes in the area should all be 100% fine, just be careful of the white bakkie brigade speeding past.

Obviously stay off the N2, it's not the best place to be at any time let alone during the Dec craziness.

Pont should definitely be running at Malgas, unless someone loses the keys...

I'd suggest Suurbrak to Riversdale for your 3rd route. Beautiful, but tough, ride traversing below the mountain range.

17 minutes ago, Stephan said:

I damn well hope these routes are safe, because I'm planning very similar rides next week, also solo. ;)

For other route options, look at the Overberg Meander route on Cape Cycle Routes website. 

Are you on the Stravas?

Enjoy, and please report back 😁

6 minutes ago, NC_lurker said:

Routes in the area should all be 100% fine, just be careful of the white bakkie brigade speeding past.

Obviously stay off the N2, it's not the best place to be at any time let alone during the Dec craziness.

I'd suggest Suurbrak to Riversdale for your 3rd route. Beautiful, but tough, ride traversing below the mountain range.

Thanks!
Will keep the N2 to a minimum (I do have a rader on the back, which gives some comfort, but obviously not complete safety).

Route something like this? https://www.strava.com/routes/2905836851678035402

1 minute ago, NC_lurker said:

I second the Suurbraak to Riversdale route. Some nice climbs to test the legs. Don't know if you will be able to cross the Duiwenhoks river crossing at the moment. But OP you are only arriving in 11 days time, so should be fine.

Another 2 options you can look at is Swellendam to Infanta via Malgas or Swellendam to Vermaaklikheid via Malgas Pont.

Bring a mountain bike along and come ride the trails at the back of Swellendam or bring a bike for the wife and do a ride in the Bontebok Park.

24 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

Thanks!
Will keep the N2 to a minimum (I do have a rader on the back, which gives some comfort, but obviously not complete safety).

Route something like this? https://www.strava.com/routes/2905836851678035402

Yup, that route is one option, you can also go slightly further south between Heidelberg and Riversdale. Both are awesome, the more northerly route has more climbing.

Southern option: https://www.strava.com/routes/2905842041087729098 — Buffeljagsrivier to Riversdale #NNMTourDay1

50 minutes ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

Riversdale Swellendam on the gravel road is one of the prettiest rides I’ve done - it’s pretty tough but easier from the swellendam side  - not easy, easier 😂

Agree with you on this. Very underrated

My biased opinion is that for that general area the more interesting roads with less traffic, less wind & better surfaces are those just north from the N2. Areas closer to the coast are generally a bit more boring to ride. 

On 12/14/2021 at 3:55 PM, MongooseMan said:

Are you on the Stravas?

Enjoy, and please report back 😁

Did Greyton to Swellendam today. I had the route on my Garmin, so navigation was easy. Never felt unsafe. Make sure you carry plenty of water. Refill options are few and far between. 

https://strava.app.link/xS58Tf5F7lb

Tomorrow Swellendam to Riverdale..  :)

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, NC_lurker said:

@Mongoose Manwhat tyres are those you're running? They look pretty smooth on the vertical line!

Interesting placement of your two extra bottle cages I assume those are a cable tie hack?

Yeah, those are the stock wtb byways that come with the Rook scout. Fine when it's dry, deathtraps in mud. Thankfully minimal mud today. 

The back two cages are single bolt mounted onto the pannier bolts, with cable tie supports. Just testing it out, might switch to front fork (single bolts there too) if it gets annoying. 

2 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

Yeah, those are the stock wtb byways that come with the Rook scout. Fine when it's dry, deathtraps in mud. Thankfully minimal mud today. 

The back two cages are single bolt mounted onto the pannier bolts, with cable tie supports. Just testing it out, might switch to front fork (single bolts there too) if it gets annoying. 

Aah, so it's the Rook Scout. Was trying to figure it out. Nice looking bike & very well priced.

I assume it doesn't have a bottle cage mount under the down tube? I run a 3rd bottle there which I then decant into one of my main bottles. Also if you get a side exit cage you should be able to run a full sized bottle even with the frame bag.

Enjoy!

3 minutes ago, NC_lurker said:

Aah, so it's the Rook Scout. Was trying to figure it out. Nice looking bike & very well priced.

I assume it doesn't have a bottle cage mount under the down tube? I run a 3rd bottle there which I then decant into one of my main bottles. Also if you get a side exit cage you should be able to run a full sized bottle even with the frame bag.

Enjoy!

Yeah, it's done well so far.

Only the 2 standard bottle mounts, which is mostly fine.

Got a longer ride planned for Thursday, so will stick 2 smaller bottles in the back cages and see how that goes.