Mark Padun - an interesting read on assessing a pro

tubed

'It takes one to know one' – Vaughters sees no red flags in Mark Padun | Cyclingnews

Being a sceptic of most pro riders medical info and that which they or their managers choose to reveal, I did find this an interesting interview, it seems frank and genuine.

Added to this the breakout performances of Bahrain last year and some of the ensuing comments, it is going to be interesting to see how this signing pans out.

Despite being a sceptic, I love a good result and it would be wonderful to see if the healthy changes proposed can bear fruit. 

It’s interesting that Vaugthers now Tests VO2 as a value where before he says he didn’t and it’s not important with riders. 

43 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

It’s interesting that Vaugthers now Tests VO2 as a value where before he says he didn’t and it’s not important with riders. 

I get the feeling he looked at EVERYTHING on this signing. Likely due to the fact that there is a 'wow' factor to his performances which either signals scepticism or massive potential.

On the potential front, I'm excited to see if your man Marc Hirschi can replicate his early form in the classics. That guy is a treat to watch and at 23 gets my vote for being one of the most exciting bike racers out there.

I'm not sure if it was ever confirmed, but it was said that the late great Burry 'didnt have the best numbers', whether its true or not, he had such a competitive drive and seemed to gel in the team environment with Specialized, my point is many with great numbers seem not to gel in a particular team and they flourish in another - Valgren last year springs to mind. 

So the numbers are an entry point, but the program, environment and culture are just as important and that for me seemed to be Vaughters was going with Padun.

I have no particular insight, but my sense from what John has shared, is that the impact of a Peiper vs a Vino or Lefevere is a key determinant. Sam Bennet won at will, when he fell out with Lefevere I think even Cavendish would have beaten him.

Roll on 2022, loads of young talent about.

2 hours ago, tubed said:

I'm not sure if it was ever confirmed, but it was said that the late great Burry 'didnt have the best numbers', whether its true or not, he had such a competitive drive and seemed to gel in the team environment with Specialized, my point is many with great numbers seem not to gel in a particular team and they flourish in another - Valgren last year springs to mind. 

So the numbers are an entry point, but the program, environment and culture are just as important and that for me seemed to be Vaughters was going with Padun.

I have no particular insight, but my sense from what John has shared, is that the impact of a Peiper vs a Vino or Lefevere is a key determinant. Sam Bennet won at will, when he fell out with Lefevere I think even Cavendish would have beaten him.

Roll on 2022, loads of young talent about.

Bennett is a confidence rider....not as natural as Cavendish whose performances on this years tour for me was about a good team working for him...and thats is great strength...

Padun....interesting...why didn't Bahrain see his talent and harness it..? Hirshi...needs a good season in 2022...its all about consistency....all the mentioned need to have that to a degree....its harder to do I am sure than sitting here writing this...all great riders to watch and enjoy

It is a bit strange that Vaughter has done so much in depth research about Padum during his time at Bahrain but does not know whether the team has a nutritionist.