Balance Bike Options

madbradd

Hey everyone. I couldn't find another thread on this even though I'm sure I've read one in the past, so apologies for the repost if it is.

Looking to get a second balance bike for No2 and looking for some reviews. No1 has a Specialized hotwalk which is great, but they're pretty pricey - we got ours second hand in good condition. I really like the tyres as they're nice and grippy, some of the solid tyres seem to slip more when kids are riding indoors on tiles.

Anyone got any other recommendations on either what to get (or what to stay away from)? The Champion Bikes on takealot look a good option and we'll priced but I've never seen one in the flesh, so a bit sceptical. 

1 hour ago, madbradd said:

Hey everyone. I couldn't find another thread on this even though I'm sure I've read one in the past, so apologies for the repost if it is.

Looking to get a second balance bike for No2 and looking for some reviews. No1 has a Specialized hotwalk which is great, but they're pretty pricey - we got ours second hand in good condition. I really like the tyres as they're nice and grippy, some of the solid tyres seem to slip more when kids are riding indoors on tiles.

Anyone got any other recommendations on either what to get (or what to stay away from)? The Champion Bikes on takealot look a good option and we'll priced but I've never seen one in the flesh, so a bit sceptical. 

Personally I'd stick with Spez-no need to look further. Happy hunting. 

6 minutes ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Personally I'd stick with Spez-no need to look further. Happy hunting. 

If I could find another second hand one then great, but the price of them new is a bit steep so was hoping for a more budget friendly one. I see there is a Trek in classifieds but it looks like it's been pretty roughed up.

2 minutes ago, madbradd said:

If I could find another second hand one then great, but the price of them new is a bit steep so was hoping for a more budget friendly one. I see there is a Trek in classifieds but it looks like it's been pretty roughed up.

here's something i've alwasy succesfuly done-depending on where you live. Head to Spez and ask them for one-they know their customers and would know where to get one for you? 

16 minutes ago, OVERDRIVE said:

here's something i've alwasy succesfuly done-depending on where you live. Head to Spez and ask them for one-they know their customers and would know where to get one for you? 

Thats a great option. Thanks, will give it a try.

My son had a Muna which really impressed me.

I really like that it has a brake as well. We often took him riding on the roads around our neighborhood and the brake saved him from numerous high speed falls!

If it really bothers you, I'm sure there are some sellers here that could spray it for you and slap an "S-works" sticker on it.

Get a First Bike - the end

It holds it value better than a Spez when you want to sell it. Takealot sells them new, but scratch around on market place and you'll pick up one for around R1500

FirstBike FATbike | Balance Bike | Buy Online in South Africa | takealot.com

https://www.like2bike.co.za/sunglasses/kokua-jumper-balance-bikes

Kokua Jumper.

this is the best balance bike you'll get for R1850. see they are clearing stock. thats almost R1000 less than i paid for mine...and ALOT less what you'll pay importing it. They go for alot more in europe, something like $350. Google them. you'll see what i mean. German brand.  You can find them locally from here. they even have a 'rear shock' elastomer. I have one for my kid and it's awesome.  you can adjust the travel on the elastomer. It looks and feels like a mini real bike instead of a kids toy. Comes with Schwalbe tires and everything, proper headset, saddle, bearings, can take normal stems and therefor bars should you want to pimp it. add R200 for a front brake.

Kirsty is on here too.

kirsty@eventactive.co.za 

https://www.like2bike.co.za/sunglasses/kokua-jumper-balance-bikes

https://www.like2bike.co.za/sunglasses/v-brakes-for-kids-bicycle

a review:

https://www.twowheelingtots.com/kokua-like-a-bike-jumper-review/

some pics of them in their guises and some modded ones. 

263343.jpg

263349.jpg

Likeabike-5.5.png

original_kokua_jumper_disc_FB.jpg

5c09095bc172407200fa804e8b8b5426.jpg

Edited by MORNE

Those Spez bikes weigh a ton don't they? 

My daughter has a Chillafish - the only negative for me on that was its also pricey and the seat adjustment sucks. (also, no brakes) They are also a but pricey but we got ours for free (#winning!)

My son has a JD Bug - its held up surprisingly well for all the abuse he puts it through.

They have both technically outgrown these, but still prefer to muck around on them compared to the Muna Pedal bikes (16") I got them as they are still just a little too big for them