Hi guys

Just prepping for the upcoming CT Cycle Tour and wanted to hear from you guys what you do to prepare 2/3 weeks out from an event you haven't really trained a sufficient amount for.

Training wise, time on the bike as well as nutrition advice all welcome.

Goodluck to everyone participating, holding thumbs for good weather.

2 to 3 weeks out, there is nothing you can really do that is constructive.

If you haven't trained, riding an excessive amount will just leave you tired and sore. 

There is also no diet/supplement alternative to hard work. If there was, everyone would be doing it.

Drink water, stay hydrated and go till you blow on race day. 

What Jewbacca said . . .

But then, on race day my advice would be to absolutely block out any temptation to wanna go with the crowd and blast up De Waal drive. Save yourself until Simon's Town and then take it easy up Smitswinkel, because after that hill you turn back North and then you are soon enough being presented with Chapmans and immediately followed by the hated Suikerbossie. On virgin, untrained legs that's going to hurt proper. You want to find that you have not struck all your matches on the "out" leg and have some reserves, however meager they are, for the last slog back to the finish.

Most importantly, just ride for the vibe, and enjoy the experience.

When I mean I haven't trained I don't mean at all. 
I just never intended on doing the event until last week, I've still been out on the bike 3 times a week (150km per week) and done the Amashova, Tour Durban and a few other races last year. 

Just haven't been doing any race training, efforts, intervals, hill work etc.

4 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Save yourself until Simon's Town and then take it easy up Smitswinkel, because after that hill you turn back North and then you are soon enough being presented with Chapmans and immediately followed by the hated Suikerbossie. On virgin, untrained legs that's going to hurt proper. 

Thaks for this, I've take a brief look at the route profile but have never done the CTCT - will definitely make use of this information for race day. Goodluck to you.

Lower your expectations. With 3 weeks to go, no noticable gains can be made. 

Just ride as much as your body and well-being will allow now (if you overdo it, you will get sick), and enjoy race day. 

Edited by mecheng89

10 hours ago, lukecamtyler said:

Thaks for this, I've take a brief look at the route profile but have never done the CTCT - will definitely make use of this information for race day. Goodluck to you.

Good to hear you have some miles in the legs and it sounds like you have a proper base, so I reckon you're golden for a comfortable finish then. I would still ride conservatively and enjoy the day out. You are being treated to some beautiful scenery and a lekker vibe out on the road.

One last thing I neglected to mention is the possibility of wind on the day. If the South Easter makes itself felt, you have to really dig deep on the long drag to Smitswinkel where you will finally get the wind at your back, sort of. 

Enjoy it. I won't be riding this year for various reasons.

[edit] - Please report back on how you experienced the day. It's always lekker to hear stories from first time riders.

Edited by Robbie Stewart

Also a first timer and will be doing it on my mtb as that's the only bike I have. All the best for race, take it easy like others have suggested - thats my plan anyway 😀 

no man, if you've been doing 150km / 3 rides a week you're not starting from 0, meaning you can still use your last 2/3 weeks before the event to do some specific training. At this point you probably want to do a 3 hour ride at Z2/Tempo at least once a week, maybe a short 5-6*4-5 mins intervals workout once a week, and the rest very easy.

If you do 150km a week then you have your 100km at Z2/Tempo on the weekend, a 30km intervals session middle of the week, and maybe another 20-30km ride easy zone1 the day  before the intervals... That's what I would do if I were you considering the volume your body is used to and the time you seem to have to put in your training. Too late to double your volume anyways

16 hours ago, lukecamtyler said:

Hi guys

Just prepping for the upcoming CT Cycle Tour and wanted to hear from you guys what you do to prepare 2/3 weeks out from an event you haven't really trained a sufficient amount for.

Training wise, time on the bike as well as nutrition advice all welcome.

Goodluck to everyone participating, holding thumbs for good weather.

If you've done 150km a week for a little while, then you can safely get in long rides (80-100km) in each of the 3 remaining weekends without fear of making yourself too tired. Some shorter rides mid-week with intervals and some recovery will also help. But if you do all that, then it will be important to do very little in the week leading up to the CTCT, a couple of short rides at most with high cadence.

~150km a week is what I've been doing. did a 3h41 in October CTCT and aiming for a 3h30 this time around.

Do as JBR and NickGM have suggested and you'll be just fine.

Its an awesome route with plenty rest between the climbs, great scenery and vibes from spectators and competitors. 

Enjoy the ride.

16 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

2 to 3 weeks out, there is nothing you can really do that is constructive.

If you haven't trained, riding an excessive amount will just leave you tired and sore. 

There is also no diet/supplement alternative to hard work. If there was, everyone would be doing it.

Drink water, stay hydrated and go till you blow on race day. 

Two above threshold interval sessions a week plus one big tempo session at low cadence.

long endurance on Sunday will achieve some gains

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

Two above threshold interval sessions a week plus one big tempo session at low cadence.

long endurance on Sunday will achieve some gains

I don't see that working in a 5-6 hour week (150km ?) + 2 intensity days AND a tempo long ride is more or less what I do, if not more, and I train 10-12hours/week.

I'm afraid it will get him there tired, I highly recommend one intensity session + 1 long tempo/z2 and one easy ride considering his current training  / form / fitness

Edited by Jbr