Tyre Slime clean out

FirstV8

I put a new front tyre on today which had done close on 40,000 ( 4 years in march ) . Many punctures and mushrooms later it started to leak on old plugs which were drying out and the rubber was hard so not having good grip in wet conditions . The amount of slime caked up inside the tyre was amazing . I topped up this tyre about every 3 to 4 months so you can imagine how thick it was as i had never taken it off the rim . I weighed the new tyre and that was 620 grams , i then weighed the old with the slime on it and that was at a astonishing 1100grams . im not a serious racer or concerned about equipment weight but my question is does one attempt to clean out a tyre from time to time or just carry on topping up IMG_4449.jpg.e0dfe447eb004b479cc9477bab46c72d.jpgIMG_4450.jpg.d2bce84b6aa6ec6be6803436ff1b6494.jpg

My old tyres did the same thing. I thought I was using cheap sealant but have seen this build up on other tyres that were using different sealant. I even tried cleaning it out but I could not get anything off. 

I got a side wall cut while ago and had to replace the tire. Kept the tire and had the same build up. Busy cleaning it off. Managing to roll off the build up. Not too hard doing this. Been wondering about this as well. Cleaning out the build up on tires I ride with. 

1 hour ago, fanievb said:

I used a high pressure hose to blast off the build up. Works like a charm 

Just beware your feet 

I was about to say, 'High pressure hose does the job in 2 secs and gives your toes a decent scare'

IMG-20210112-WA0006.jpg.ada31e8666b70755ad9a83cd611271f0.jpg

First time I took the tyre off to change sealant. No wonder it felt off balance

Edited by StevieG

17 hours ago, Eldron said:

Wait. WHAT? 40,000km on a tyre? How the hell?

It was the original Maxxis  Crossmark that came on the bike when i bought it new 12/04/2018 . I do  10, to 12,000 km per year 80% on my MTB . During the week days i do a Urban Sprawl as we call it . Its a mixture of gravel , pavements , tar and off road . Weekends i do a full MTB ride in the Benoni /Bredel /Bapsfontein mealie fields and next to the railway track so no shortage of rough terrain and enough thorns and lose braches to nick a side wall . 

Edited by FirstV8

On 2/19/2022 at 8:57 AM, StevieG said:

IMG-20210112-WA0006.jpg.ada31e8666b70755ad9a83cd611271f0.jpg

First time I took the tyre off to change sealant. No wonder it felt off balance

WOW !!

What brand of product ?

On 2/19/2022 at 5:26 AM, fanievb said:

I used a high pressure hose to blast off the build up. Works like a charm 

Just beware your feet 

I did this last month.

Certainly got the tire clean, and reasonably quickly ....

Damned if I can get the sticky residue off the paving though ... :eek: :cursing:

Choose your working area very carefully, as it may just become a new problem ....

40 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

WOW !!

What brand of product ?

Not sure, it was a 2nd hand bike I bought a few months earlier, so hadn't changed fhe sealant yet

I spent the last 3 days cleaning my road tyres to have them fresh and light for tour du cap. I tried degreaser, hairdrier, fabric, rubbing with another tyre, sand paper....

Seems what works best (besides your thumbs, but you don't have enough skin to do 1/10th of one tyre) is rubbing your inner tyre against some kind o carpet, I have plenty of chutes from my bedrooms carpet in the garage, and it works great. Still takes a while but I'll know for next time. I reckon about 20 mins per tyre should do the job ;)