UCI MTB World Cup broadcasting rights from Red Bull to Discovery Sports

tinmug

1 hour ago, tsdutweet said:

Rob and Bart really make the biggest difference as far the whole production goes!

I cringe every time Supersport snag the broadcasting rights!!!

Lets see where it goes, really enjoyed the RBTV coverage. 

Supersport pay for and run the RBTV feed, verbatim. They don't purchase broadcast rights or fulfill any production work. They buy the to broadcast over their airtime which is sold onto advertisers. 
We should grateful that DSTV make the commitment they do with cycling airtime. Very few broadcasters in the world give as much airtime to the range of cycling we have access to.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/22/2022 at 8:12 AM, NotSoBigBen said:

As much as I love cycling and watching cycling I don't jump through hoops, VPN's and crap, to watch it ... if it's convenient I'll continue watching. 

Also having to have I don't know how many different streaming options to be able to watch becomes a tad tedious. As a family we have DSTV, Netflix and Showmax at the moment ... to pay for every additional service is also starting to get out of our reach

For you, for tomorow: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfkmgfpWSB-upcs6AM0n2eg

• 3 months later...

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/ask-me-anything-with-chris-ball.html

Chris Ball is the guy behind the EWS and has somehow worked his way into managing the TV coverage for Discovery. In this QnA he comes in for some stick from the PB commentators because he doesn't really answer the big question re free live stream coverage. He has big ideas re expanding the WC circuit  all over the world but is short on detail. Perhaps its too soon to say but we're already in June and they seem to have a lot to iron out still.

As far as the EWS is concerned, Discovery has had the rights to this since last year(?) but the coverage changed dramatically this season. Very little build up video on their channel eg no course preview, which got a lot of people worked up. They did however produce a nearly 40 minute highlight show which was pretty good although it included some of the short segments they'd already put out.

There is another EWS in Slovenia this weekend and so far they have done a slightly better job with the build up - i.e some rider interviews done during the shake down ride this week.

7 minutes ago, Headshot said:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/ask-me-anything-with-chris-ball.html

Chris Ball is the guy behind the EWS and has somehow worked his way into managing the TV coverage for Discovery. In this QnA he comes in for some stick from the PB commentators because he doesn't really answer the big question re free live stream coverage. He has big ideas re expanding the WC circuit  all over the world but is short on detail. Perhaps its too soon to say but we're already in June and they seem to have a lot to iron out still.

As far as the EWS is concerned, Discovery has had the rights to this since last year(?) but the coverage changed dramatically this season. Very little build up video on their channel eg no course preview, which got a lot of people worked up. They did however produce a nearly 40 minute highlight show which was pretty good although it included some of the short segments they'd already put out.

There is another EWS in Slovenia this weekend and so far they have done a slightly better job with the build up - i.e some rider interviews done during the shake down ride this week.

Sounds like they’re still learning and adapting. This is good. 
I expect their coverage will be pay to view or subscription based. Unless they have a big sponsor. Any word on red bull staying on as sponsor with Mercedes’?

This is my opinion but live racing against the clock never seems to translate well to TV. Think IOM TT, Downhill Skiing. Even World Rally. 

Trying to televise DH must be close to impossible. Mega niche sport that no one wants to pay to see. Spread out over a vast area. On a mountain in the middle of nowhere for the most part. And the athletes aren't exactly household names.

EWS. Even more niche. Spread over an even bigger area and over a longer timeframe.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

• 1 year later...

Sort of related ....

Are we any closer to knowing where and how to watch this racing ? 

For those of us at the Southern tip of Africa 

54 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Sort of related ....

We're in the wrong hemisphere. We don't matter, well, not until someone needs gold or diamonds or a bit of game viewing. 

How the governing body of cycling thought, between lunches and espresso breaks, thought this was a good idea is beyond me. But then every micro decision I take is not profit driven. 🤷‍♂️

• 1 month later...
On 1/9/2024 at 5:48 PM, ChrisF said:

Sort of related ....

On 1/9/2024 at 6:46 PM, tinmug said:

We're in the wrong hemisphere. We don't matter, well, not until someone needs gold or diamonds or a bit of game viewing. 

The same is being said in the US of A… in that they have to subscribe to Flo Sports (I think) or another provider. Much like the monopoly here. Many there say they won’t pay for a subscription to stuff they don’t want just to get cycling. 

Seems being outside of Europe is a problem.

11 minutes ago, Frosty said:

The same is being said in the US of A… in that they have to subscribe to Flo Sports (I think) or another provider. Much like the monopoly here. Many there say they won’t pay for a subscription to stuff they don’t want just to get cycling. 

Seems being outside of Europe is a problem.

Almost a good thing ....

The more countries that are affected, the better the chances of a workable solution.

Please dont burst my bouble .... I live in hope that we get access again.

Good for UCI (decision-maker) pockets, bad for the sport.

Sense it makes not. 🙈

ESPN is launching a global sports streaming service in May. it will include MTB. We're yet to see f it will be geolocked for SA or open to view and whether or not behind a paywall

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

ESPN is launching a global sports streaming service in May. it will include MTB. We're yet to see f it will be geolocked for SA or open to view and whether or not behind a paywall

I suspect DSTV will make sure it's blocked here.

KODI FTW.

These folk all seem to forget that the only way paid streaming services took off like they did is that they were cheap and marginally less hassle than piracy.

2 minutes ago, droo said:

I suspect DSTV will make sure it's blocked here.

KODI FTW.

These folk all seem to forget that the only way paid streaming services took off like they did is that they were cheap and marginally less hassle than piracy.

AND gave so much better data on viewing habits.

can't believe tizcycling is up for so long

there's a NZ guy who posts full rugby matches on yt. takes about a week for the whackamole to shut them down. Thing is the value in a live game is when it's live. if you own the rights to it, post it 48 hours later and let people watch it for free. put some adverts in to if you want. i doubt it affects your "highlights viewing"

https://www.youtube.com/@nzrugbyvidz9170