Should e-bikes be allowed in Cycle Tour and other Races

Ravenhash

On 2/22/2022 at 5:03 PM, Ravenhash said:

If you ride an e-bike you already a doper. Fast or Slow if what you put out is more than what you put in there's no way if considering Cycling. Being slow myself it sucks that I see guys who ride these e-bikes put in so little effort for so much gains. It makes one despondent to enter any Ride or Race (same thing). 

If someone on an ebike passing you leaves you despondent, imagine how you would feel if someone on a BMX came flying past you up Smitswinkel.....you will be traumatized for life.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Eldron said:

The big question is...how many ebikers are going to have the patience to ride a 3:50 Argoost? That is pretty darn pedestrian even without a boost up the hills!

3:50 is pushing it for a ebike with a speed limit. and no battery will last at the pace you need to ride to get a 3:50 .

even at a 32km/h cut off you cant maintain that speed for very long.

(Unless the bike is chipped and you have 3 battery's in your bag (but then you in the same league as dopers so its a mute point) -

And if thy do beat a 3:50 they will be disqualified... so why is it any issue to you ? unless you trolling.

Edited by DuncanDoughnuts

34 minutes ago, Eldron said:

This year I am finally going to achieve my goal of finishing the Midmar Mile!

yamaha-seascooter-rds250.jpg

Please make sure you have Strava switched on, hope the battery last!

Edited by _David_

On 2/22/2022 at 9:37 AM, Danger Dassie said:

The correlation with motorbikes is patently stupid. At a stretch a more accurate description would be a moped, even then not accurate by a long shot. 
There is room for participation at timed events, and if it means a family or couple are able to safely enjoy it together, then great. A separate fun cat for ebikes, also cool. 
W2W have two cats, a fun cat that starts at the back and a race cat that starts before everyone, seems to work well.
Of all the challenges at events, ebikes aren't even a blip on the radar of problems, just people who individually feel out of joint. Maybe take a race licence then and see how you go.

Danger Dassie's ideas can work well. Fastest e-Bikes in own category at front.  Fun rider e-Bikes at rear end. 

On 2/22/2022 at 9:11 AM, Steady Spin said:

Enjoy your own rides man. If an e-bike makes me happy on the trail or gives me the ability to enjoy the social dynamic of events then let me be. 

At the end of the day what does it take away from you?

It takes away from me/us... 1.  The CTCT is allready overcrowded with limited entries.  You will take away entry avaialability. 

2.  You will take away sportmanship... Uneven and/or unfair competition. 

3.  E-bikers do not stop to assist manual bikers with flat tyres or broken chains. You will take away camaraderie. 

4.  Worst... You will be first at the Beer Tent... and you will take away the cold beers and drink it all.      Siss on you! 💐 

8 hours ago, Eldron said:

The big question is...how many ebikers are going to have the patience to ride a 3:50 Argoost? That is pretty darn pedestrian even without a boost up the hills!

well how are they going to know? The mechanical scrutiny at the start pens is severely lacking and then there's the e-roadbikes that look like the real thing

On 2/22/2022 at 8:19 AM, Ravenhash said:

Lots of talk about e-bikers been called dopers. fair chirp. But isn't the reality that the guys who ride the CTCT and other events for time, the guys chasing time, is where the real doping problem lies.

I would venture that if you compare people getting an unfair advantage in events, then the figures about guys actually cheating via actual doping far outweighs some guy on an e-bike gaining an advantage.

The focus and hurt about e-bikers doping is very misplaced.

Efforts would be better spent on tackling the real doping problem.

21 minutes ago, rorydewet said:

Lots of talk about e-bikers been called dopers. fair chirp. But isn't the reality that the guys who ride the CTCT and other events for time, the guys chasing time, is where the real doping problem lies.

I would venture that if you compare people getting an unfair advantage in events, then the figures about guys actually cheating via actual doping far outweighs some guy on an e-bike gaining an advantage.

The focus and hurt about e-bikers doping is very misplaced.

Efforts would be better spent on tackling the real doping problem.

you what now mate ?