Should e-bikes be allowed in Cycle Tour and other Races

Ravenhash

Is it now completely acceptable that e-bikes are considered a Bicycle and allowed in Cycle Races? I think they should banned from Cycle Races and given an event just for them. I won't mention names but 2 riders switched bikes (one e-bike and the other on a road bike) in the 99er, yes you know who you are.

So how is this a fair result even if it's just a fun ride. I mean why then complain when Cyclist draft a truck or bus, it's then just a fun ride.

Edited by Ravenhash

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The rules for CTCT: https://www.capetowncycletour.com/race-entry-terms-and-conditions/

"The fastest time that a cyclist, using an e-bike, may complete the event is 3hr 50min. Any e-bike cyclists recording a time of less than 3hr 50min will be disqualified."

Don't worry, your hard earned sub-3 isn't at risk.

Your example of bike switches. Cheating is cheating, regardless of ebikes. Report their race numbers to the organisers.

14 minutes ago, Ravenhash said:

Is it now completely acceptable that e-bikes are considered a Bicycle and allowed in Cycle Races? I think they should banned from Cycle Races and given an event just for them. I won't mention names but 2 riders switched bikes (one e-bike and the other on a road bike) in the 99er, yes you know who you are.

So how is this a fair result even if it's just a fun ride. I mean why then complain when Cyclist draft a truck or bus, it's then just a fun ride.

Fun ride -?????

Who won what or lost what because some guy decided to switch bikes and cheat? prize money, status, team contracts?

ebikes are bikes and people who ride them cheat like people who dope and people who shortcut. 

I don't consider an eBike a bicycle and therefore I do not believe they should be allowed in any cycle events. 

What is the challenge of doing an event if you allow a motor to assist you?

I know lots of people will disagree and sometimes have valid arguments. 

I was chatting to an old aquaintence on Sat. He started cycling to lose weight. He was so proud of his 50km cycle that he did the day before, until he told me he rode an eBike.

I just couldn't bring myself to tell him "well done" 

Edited by Longbarn Killer

5 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

You sound very concerned about what other people are doing, when what they are doing has no effect on you.

Maybe you should think about that a while.

No effect other than blood pressure increase. 

Edited by Steady Spin

8 minutes ago, Longbarn Killer said:

I don't consider an eBike a bicycle and therefore I do not believe they should be allowed in any cycle events. 

What is the challenge of doing an event if you allow a motor to assist you?

I know lots of people will disagree and sometimes have valid arguments. 

I was chatting to an old aquaintence on Sat. He started cycling to lose weight. He was so proud of his 50km cycle that he did the day before, until he told me he rode an eBike.

I just couldn't bring myself to tell him "well done" 

Enjoy your own rides man. If an e-bike makes me happy on the trail or gives me the ability to enjoy the social dynamic of events then let me be. 

At the end of the day what does it take away from you?

5 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Enjoy your own rides man. If an e-bike makes me happy on the trail or gives me the ability to enjoy the social dynamic of events then let me be. 

At the end of the day what does it take away from you?

I do leave the eBikes be. I am just voicing my opinion on the question that was asked.