[Event] The 36ONE MTB Challenge 2022

fanievb

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Mamil said:

Planning my boxes for the big ride and contemplating treats that might act as a pick me up ....

Looking to put a red bull in box 2 and another in box 3 as an example cos I frequently stop at the Noordhoek garage and get one for the 40km home over chappies after long rides. Always makes me feel good.

Anything special others are putting in their boxes?

Letters from loved ones in box 3.

Excellent race. First class refreshment stations and control points. Memory of a lifetime: descending from rooiberg towards calitzdorp as dawn broke across the mountains. 

I've repressed a few less pleasant memories, specifically from 280 to 320 .... In whose twisted imagination are those "rollers"? 

World class event. 

17 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Excellent race. First class refreshment stations and control points. Memory of a lifetime: descending from rooiberg towards calitzdorp as dawn broke across the mountains. 

I've repressed a few less pleasant memories, specifically from 280 to 320 .... In whose twisted imagination are those "rollers"? 

World class event. 

Concur, superb event.

beautiful route

beautiful weather (although that 1degree C in the Rooiberg valley did my knee in)

beautiful people at the water and check points (it was such a lonely ride I was happy to have someone to talk too eventually 🤣)

best route marking I’ve ever experienced 

but Vok that last 60km…..

I have never cursed so much

maybe I’ll be back (gimme a few weeks to forget some bad moments)

On 2/25/2022 at 9:53 AM, Titleist said:

Those who has done the TB and 36one. How does the latter compare, except for the obvious difference?

So, in jou eie woorde nou dat jy self beide gedoen het? 

20 hours ago, Mamil said:

World class event. 

Only did the half so can't pretend to have rolled (and suffered) with the big dogs, but I also had a serious sense of humor failure on that section. Was mentally prepared for Rooiberg & the drag from Calitzdorp to Kruisrivier, but those rollers after Kruisrivier had me phoning my wife at the finish line, telling her that this flippen thing will take me much longer than I had planned for!🤬

1 minute ago, Skubarra said:

Only did the half so can't pretend to have rolled (and suffered) with the big dogs, but I also had a serious sense of humor failure on that section. Was mentally prepared for Rooiberg & the drag from Calitzdorp to Kruisrivier, but those rollers after Kruisrivier had me phoning my wife at the finish line, telling her that this flippen thing will take me much longer than I had planned for!🤬

getting to the top of those rollers and then seeing the next one and then next one and so on  was having me using expletives I cannot repeat here on this chat

4 minutes ago, liebenw said:

getting to the top of those rollers and then seeing the next one and then next one and so on  was having me using expletives I cannot repeat here on this chat

I was asked by a medic to” not repeat those expletives sailor boy “

I remember how those hills caught me out on my first one and even the 'rollers' after the last waterpoint which felt like proper hills and the tar road that just does not come closer. At least you know what to expect the next time but they do not become easier😀

I must say it was colder than I expected. Paced the ride well but did not hit our target time of 26 hours - came in at 26.30. Proud of our MD who did his 1st one and finished strong.

Well done to all - it remains a good old solid tough ride.

58 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

54 minutes ago, liebenw said:

Listen okes - those were not rollers --- looking at the profile afterwards they are almost as high as Rooiberg and longer too. A roller is a little hill where the momentum you get on the downhill is enough to give you a serious boost over the next uphill. 

The pain from Calitzdorp to the 40 to go marker was real. 

Sweet school kids at the last refreshment stop too - 5 of them surrounding me each with a platter of something tasty. 

14 minutes ago, hboli4 said:

I remember how those hills caught me out on my first one and even the 'rollers' after the last waterpoint which felt like proper hills and the tar road that just does not come closer. At least you know what to expect the next time but they do not become easier😀

I must say it was colder than I expected. Paced the ride well but did not hit our target time of 26 hours - came in at 26.30. Proud of our MD who did his 1st one and finished strong.

Well done to all - it remains a good old solid tough ride.

I exceeded my expectations. Was aiming for sub 24hr and got 22:21. 

Next time i'll do proper training and planning. I was on the fence re participating until Thursday afternoon when Liebenw picked me up LOL.

Now that I have a taste for it there's oodles of time to be gained especially at the CP's

16 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Listen okes - those were not rollers --- looking at the profile afterwards they are almost as high as Rooiberg and longer too. A roller is a little hill where the momentum you get on the downhill is enough to give you a serious boost over the next uphill. 

The pain from Calitzdorp to the 40 to go marker was real. 

Sweet school kids at the last refreshment stop too - 5 of them surrounding me each with a platter of something tasty. 

definitely not rollers...

But listen Rooiberg isn't 7km, nor is it 13km. Its flippen 25KM from the bottom of the previous climb to the top of Rooiberg. Just because the name changes doesn't mean the road doesn't stop pointing straight up...

360one was a proper day out. The only comparison would be a Dirtopia 24hr