[Event] The 36ONE MTB Challenge 2022

fanievb

1 hour ago, liebenw said:

Can The TB still claim its the "Toughest single stage race in the world" ?

Incomparable  😅

36One is far far tougher.... I have done my fair share of long distance races and that 36One route is brutal.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Sidekick Racer said:

Incomparable  😅

36One is far far tougher.... I have done my fair share of long distance races and that 36One route is brutal.

interesting you use the word brutal. I've been using that word when my other cycling buddies ask how is the event 🙂

36 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

definitely not rollers...

But listen Rooiberg isn't 7km, nor is it 13km. Its flippen 25KM from the bottom of the previous climb to the top of Rooiberg. Just because the name changes doesn't mean the road doesn't stop pointing straight up...

360one was a proper day out. The only comparison would be a Dirtopia 24hr

Ha ha ... Ja. Climbing those early bits of rooiberg I thought this isn't so bad. Then I got to the waterpoint that a quick consult of my notes told me was the bottom of rooiberg and realised that the fat lady hadnt even drawn breath yet. The moon set. Darkest before dawn I thought as I elegantly caught my sagging jersey pockets on my saddle mounting up and heading off.

As you say, a proper day out and I am hugely pleased with myself and this achievement. 

30 minutes ago, Sidekick Racer said:

Incomparable  😅

Agreed Dean. The route was a lot rougher than I expected. Glad I came out unscathed! TB isn't a walk in the park but the 36one really is in a different league. Brutal is an understatement! 

1 hour ago, hboli4 said:

I remember how those hills caught me out on my first one and even the 'rollers' after the last waterpoint which felt like proper hills and the tar road that just does not come closer. At least you know what to expect the next time but they do not become easier😀

I must say it was colder than I expected. Paced the ride well but did not hit our target time of 26 hours - came in at 26.30. Proud of our MD who did his 1st one and finished strong.

Well done to all - it remains a good old solid tough ride.

Your 5th?- thinks I saw your bike at 1/2 way (#20 )?  If so, well done!

Shout Out to everyone, it was a proper test!  Well Done.

Waterpoints were awesome, but the kids at last one were great.  Felt guilty for just rushing through.

It seemed to be a very harsh (sterile) environment that we cycled through.  Heard some sheep bleating and dogs barking, but no other real sounds of the night.  No baboons or jackal, but with it being sheep country they probably have been exterminated.

Saw 1 hare, couple of "miskruiers" and a scorpion.  No real birdlife.

Nice to see water in Nel's dam just after Calitzdorp.

Cheers🍻

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

I exceeded my expectations. Was aiming for sub 24hr and got 22:21. 

Next time i'll do proper training and planning. I was on the fence re participating until Thursday afternoon when Liebenw picked me up LOL.

Now that I have a taste for it there's oodles of time to be gained especially at the CP's

You are in a different league to me, I can only dream of riding that fast. Well done!!!

24 minutes ago, Dogs said:

Your 5th?- thinks I saw your bike at 1/2 way (#20 )?  If so, well done!

Thanks Dogs - yip that was me. They make it a bit extra special with the black number & medal and a  gift at the end.

9 minutes ago, Dogs said:

Shout Out to everyone, it was a proper test!  Well Done.

Waterpoints were awesome, but the kids at last one were great.  Felt guilty for just rushing through.

It seemed to be a very harsh (sterile) environment that we cycled through.  Heard some sheep bleating and dogs barking, but no other real sounds of the night.  No baboons or jackal, but with it being sheep country they probably have been exterminated.

Saw 1 hare, couple of "miskruiers" and a scorpion.  No real birdlife.

Nice to see water in Nel's dam just after Calitzdorp.

Cheers🍻

Very true, the environment just adds to the - word of the day - brutality😀

3 minutes ago, hboli4 said:

Thanks Dogs - yip that was me. They make it a bit extra special with the black number & medal and a  gift at the end.

Great!  Now for the next 5😁

The water points were just in another league. No loud speakers , drama or fanfare , just well stocked and staffed with super friendly moms and pops and school kids. Dry land blow the Cape Epic away here. At a dryland event you want to stay at the water points. At the epic you want to ride away as fast as you can. 

the check points were just amazing. CP1 stocked with warm lentil soup. That was a huge win. Easy to digest protein and filling and warm. Some chicken and rice would have been preferable at CP2 over the pasta and mince but it was warm, prepared with love and pride and served with warm smiles. The cp box 📦 handlers were quick and efficient. 
The only improvement I could ask for is food options at CP3. 

Lastly anyone who has finished the 360one is proper tough , tough like a Hilux. Wear that medal with pride ladies and gents -LEGENDS everyone.

Edited by DieselnDust

1 hour ago, Dogs said:

Great!  Now for the next 5😁

Might as well keep the streak going😉

3 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

I exceeded my expectations. Was aiming for sub 24hr and got 22:21. 

Next time i'll do proper training and planning. I was on the fence re participating until Thursday afternoon when Liebenw picked me up LOL.

Now that I have a taste for it there's oodles of time to be gained especially at the CP's

We probably rode together at some point... 

Was a tough day out for me. 

I started nice and easy and hooked onto a bunch when the wind picked up, but the bunch went a little too hard and stupid me tried to stick with them.

Started feeling a little queezy from just before cp1 all the way to the top of rooiberg. Thank goodness for coke and oranges. 

My wife and daughter met me at cp1 and 2 with some goodies and encouragement, I mean how do you explain to a 5y/o that daddy is to fubar to "win the race"?

Had a good rest at Calitzdorp (**** that little climb just before town). 

I switched my mobile data on at 308km (yep, just before those "rollers") and thankfully started getting encouragement messages from loved ones, friends and the residents at the McClelland Adult Centre (a charity I raise funds for). Wonders for the soul (even strava knows this with all the pr's). 

Kudos to every one who tackles this beast. 

Didn't get close to my goal, but very happy with my 23h03. 

IMG-20220514-WA0021.jpg.d6e7a2d2ed2360a6a85f14e49e223e37.jpg

1 hour ago, fanievb said:

Was a tough day out for me. 

I started nice and easy and hooked onto a bunch when the wind picked up, but the bunch went a little too hard and stupid me tried to stick with them.

Started feeling a little queezy from just before cp1 all the way to the top of rooiberg. Thank goodness for coke and oranges. 

My wife and daughter met me at cp1 and 2 with some goodies and encouragement, I mean how do you explain to a 5y/o that daddy is to fubar to "win the race"?

Had a good rest at Calitzdorp (**** that little climb just before town). 

I switched my mobile data on at 308km (yep, just before those "rollers") and thankfully started getting encouragement messages from loved ones, friends and the residents at the McClelland Adult Centre (a charity I raise funds for). Wonders for the soul (even strava knows this with all the pr's). 

Kudos to every one who tackles this beast. 

Didn't get close to my goal, but very happy with my 23h03. 

IMG-20220514-WA0021.jpg.d6e7a2d2ed2360a6a85f14e49e223e37.jpg

Your kit looks familiar. I got to CP1 in under 5 hrs then waited for my pals. We were all in NinetyOne asset management kit

9 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Your kit looks familiar. I got to CP1 in under 5 hrs then waited for my pals. We were all in NinetyOne asset management kit

Quite sure @DieselnDustwe rode together or  lose enough to hear the groans. I also did 22hrs 20 something mins. Was wearing a pink mtbgoats top on sat morning.