[Event] The 36ONE MTB Challenge 2022

fanievb

17 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Planning my boxes for the big ride and contemplating treats that might act as a pick me up ....

Looking to put a red bull in box 2 and another in box 3 as an example cos I frequently stop at the Noordhoek garage and get one for the 40km home over chappies after long rides. Always makes me feel good.

Anything special others are putting in their boxes?

I have a meal replacement mix for if I'm not feeling like food, specifically at CP3. Although the sosatie and potatoes are nice it is a bit heavy.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Mountain Goat said:

It's a tricky one, it is the first time doing the race so I am not sure what to expect from the water tables in terms of nutrition. I originally wanted to shy away from using them as much as possible as I can see myself faffing around with and wasting a lot of time. 

dryland knows how to stock water tables

I prefer proper food and the WP cater for everyone (gels & bars also available)

The only thing I'm taking is my own drink mix, biogen and my stomach are not the best of friends.

19 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Planning my boxes for the big ride and contemplating treats that might act as a pick me up ....

Looking to put a red bull in box 2 and another in box 3 as an example cos I frequently stop at the Noordhoek garage and get one for the 40km home over chappies after long rides. Always makes me feel good.

Being a first timer, what generally would you put in your boxes. Thinking warm jacket and gloves for CP1. Leg warmers are these even necessary? Did Karoo Burn, Water points are well stocked with drinks and food so not putting any food stuff in my boxes

100% agree with Fanie on the waterpoints and food available - they cater for all tastes. Love the dateballs!!!

Also apply some cream at CP2 and again at CP3. 

Thanks guys, I ride with one or two ass magic samples in my back pocket when I do long rides. As soon as there is a need for chamois cream its best to have some on hand. There is nothing worse than waiting.  

Clear/photochromatic glasses are also really handy to have, without them the eyes take a beating form the dust and wind during the night, 

Edited by Mountain Goat

Agree 100% on the glasses.

I also make a turn at the toilet at CP2 & CP3 - just in case, I donated a very nice buff to mother nature in the 'Boneyard' between CP2 & Rooiberg one year.

7 minutes ago, hboli4 said:

Agree 100% on the glasses.

I also make a turn at the toilet at CP2 & CP3 - just in case, I donated a very nice buff to mother nature in the 'Boneyard' between CP2 & Rooiberg one year.

As if in answer to his silent 3am complaint about his chilly head, there appeared a very nice buff halfway up Rooiberg. There is a deity thought the hypoglycaemic mamil as he unclipped and took off his helmet .....

9 minutes ago, Mamil said:

As if in answer to his silent 3am complaint about his chilly head, there appeared a very nice buff halfway up Rooiberg. There is a deity thought the hypoglycaemic mamil as he unclipped and took off his helmet .....

I am pretty sure the one in your post will be safe for use - if not an hallucination... Mine should still be buried behind the abandoned house on the left hand side of the drag(Never Ending Story) - roughly at 230km 🙂

My rewards (treats) are a piece of chocolate brownie and fudge, jelly babies and wine gums😁

The food at the tables are fine.

Toothbrush at CP 3.  Bumcream in small pill bottles in all boxes..

White gold is in Camelback.

Remember to keep sense of humor.

1 hour ago, Mamil said:

I would suggest dry top layers if not already covered in earlier posts. 

I did not have any in my box at CP1 and it felt like riding with a block of ice on my back, especially after spending time at the fire 🙈

Agree with ass cream in all boxes. What I do is add a pair of latex gloves in each box too for sanitary application.

Last year, with all that planning I forgot to put on ass cream before the start. As jy dom is…….

I also think that having a fresh kit to change into at CP3 is a good pick me up. Clean bibs and socks really make you feel better. 

Also don’t skip the oranges at the water tables. Man they got me though the last leg, couldn’t really stomach much else at that stage and I don’t think I have ever enjoyed oranges so much. In fact I think it is what I most remember from the race.

53 minutes ago, Knersboy said:

I also think that having a fresh kit to change into at CP3 is a good pick me up. Clean bibs and socks really make you feel better. 

Also don’t skip the oranges at the water tables. Man they got me though the last leg, couldn’t really stomach much else at that stage and I don’t think I have ever enjoyed oranges so much. In fact I think it is what I most remember from the race.

I think that's a brilliant idea and I'm implementing it.

1 hour ago, Knersboy said:

Orange slices with a dash of salt is flipped awesome during a race especially when you can't stomach much else.

Edited by _David_

1 hour ago, Mamil said:

I think that's a brilliant idea and I'm implementing it.

We did a kit change last time on top of the MAC / Bergplaas during Transbaviaans, and it really does give you a new lease on life. That being said, I also rode the entire Grit with muddy, moist, sandy kit (with not even a sock change) and if you're mentally prepared for it that's also fine. Having the luxury of a box though you should totally use it.

I'd also suggest a race-ending spare could be a good idea to have in your box. A spare light battery, a tube and/or tyre patch etc. 

Couple of years ago you were able to do a quick shower in the rugby changeroom at the pavilion in Calitzdorp - clean rider, clean kit.