[Event] The 36ONE MTB Challenge 2022

fanievb

Those who have a few of these behind them ...

What are temperatures like. I'm imagining very hot in day and freezing cold (4 or 5 degrees?) at night and before dawn?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Mamil said:

What are temperatures like. I'm imagining very hot in day and freezing cold (4 or 5 degrees?) at night and before dawn?

Coldest I've recorded was 2 degrees and hottest 49(although this was the November one in 2020).

But it can get up to the late 30's on average in May. 

What my Garmin had: (High, Low, Avg)

May 2021 - 33; 8; 19

May 2019 - 36; 5; 15

April 2018 - 31; 3; 18

The average is pulled down by longer, colder nights.

November 2020 doesn't count, that was just silly.

For upper body I think 3 layers should be enough for the night and 1 or 2 for daytime.  I don't have long pants.

6 Weeks to go:eek:

5 hours ago, Mamil said:

Single digits for most of the night for sure. In May you will reach close to zero depending on where you are on the course about an hour before sunrise. It's freezing going down on other side of Rooiberg for example.

I have not done one where you start at 15:00. All mine was a 18:00 start time which kinda helped cause it started getting cold already so the way you dress at the start is probably how you go through the night. I think in April ones I took a rolled up jacket with in my back pocket but had a long sleeve undervest on, then put the jacket on at CP1. Again the start time here was diff to what you deal with now.

The climbs heat you up, the downhills cool you down so it's a tricky balance of not building up a massive sweat on the up that will freeze you to death on the downs.

With the 15:00 start you might have less heat to deal with next day as well, but that also depends on your riding time. I didn't record more than 20C at 12:00 but I do remember 2017 it being very hot. Dump what you can in Calitzdorp box.

PS: I didn't use leg warmers. 

Edited by WaldoZ

one month to go

started with some night riding.

weather unfortunately not playing along with my current training plans, but times are few....

278216462_944985919433350_60985225391089

Must say I have had enough of the rain already. 'Had' to do a 5 hour session on the IDT over the weekend - not fun.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone else doing the Half version on Saturday for which the registration Friday morning is not really practical?

Have sent the organisers a mail so hopefully I don't have to ask anyone else to register on my behalf.

1 hour ago, Skubarra said:

Anyone else doing the Half version on Saturday for which the registration Friday morning is not really practical?

Have sent the organisers a mail so hopefully I don't have to ask anyone else to register on my behalf.

You really ought to be doing the full so you can push me up Rooiberg!

6 minutes ago, Mamil said:

You really ought to be doing the full so you can push me up Rooiberg!

Given that its in your second half and right at the start for me you just need to get your timing right for that push😝

Good luck to you crazies doing the full 36One, I'm not even remotely jealous of the suffering you guys are going to go through this weekend..

Planning my boxes for the big ride and contemplating treats that might act as a pick me up ....

Looking to put a red bull in box 2 and another in box 3 as an example cos I frequently stop at the Noordhoek garage and get one for the 40km home over chappies after long rides. Always makes me feel good.

Anything special others are putting in their boxes?

15 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Planning my boxes for the big ride and contemplating treats that might act as a pick me up ....

Looking to put a red bull in box 2 and another in box 3 as an example cos I frequently stop at the Noordhoek garage and get one for the 40km home over chappies after long rides. Always makes me feel good.

chamois cream (CP2) & toothbrush (CP3)

14 minutes ago, Mamil said:

It's a tricky one, it is the first time doing the race so I am not sure what to expect from the water tables in terms of nutrition. I originally wanted to shy away from using them as much as possible as I can see myself faffing around with and wasting a lot of time.