Absa Cape Epic 2022

JohanDiv

28 minutes ago, samson99 said:

Good luck Johan. I got pulled from the race due to kidney issues and vomiting. It was brutal yesterday. Look after yourself. 

Ouch ... 😬

Hoop jy herstel gou.

Kan jou spanmaat nog ry ?

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, jcza said:

The entire event feels like it has lost some of its shine. Could be due to the last minute cancellation in 2020 or maybe sign of the times. Missing some top riders. From Assos to Ciovita for leaders jerseys. Website broken most of the day and many locals just can’t be bothered to enter (and can’t afford it) 

don't thin it was one thing.

it was even being cancelled, 2 years of Covid impact on sport, as said, we have a sport and industry to rebuild, it's not going to happen over night, 

for where we are, and for the teams that is here and racing, think it's actually a good sign at the moment. remember the lack of numbers we're really seeing is the amateur, we all, locally and internationally feeling it.

G

10 hours ago, eala said:

XCO commentary is for 90 minutes every three weeks .Epic is 9h x 7 days

And TDF is 3 weeks long with excellent commentary. Unfortunately the Epic commentary could be far better. 

8 hours ago, DJuice said:

What do you guys know about the Megamo bikes?

Looks almost like a Vipa Ultra, with flex stays and not the storage.

Willier launched their new mtb last year and stacking the pro field.

Hope for a few bike checks this year.

Is their a purple Canyon? 

The Megamo bikes also caught my eye and I must say I like what I see.  Such a pity its almost impossible to get lesser known brands in South Africa.

They probably wont, but since Nino's and Matt's teams overall position is close at ~8 min down, maybe they can work together to close the gap on the leaders ... 🤷‍♂️

Edited by TheoG

6 hours ago, JohanDiv said:

Second test looks much better.. leaving hospital now. Have to report to medic tent at 6am for final test to clear me. 

If cleared, yet another tough day waiting with minimal sleep!

All the best for today! Will be cheering you on the entire day in my head.

6 hours ago, JohanDiv said:

Second test looks much better.. leaving hospital now. Have to report to medic tent at 6am for final test to clear me. 

If cleared, yet another tough day waiting with minimal sleep!

A bit late to wish you well now as you've left already but all the best for today and I'm glad to hear you can continue, Hopefully you are obsessed with Bikehub and pick this up at the water point.

Drink lots today and pace yourself to recover.

Mix Rehidrat into one bottle and limit the sugary energy drinks.

Rather eat fruit and sweets at the water points. You don't need lots of sugar. 

Eat good protein thats easy to digest 

this should get you through today

Then recover and try again tomorrow

12 hours ago, eala said:

Nino ,Blevins ,Prevot .They are superstars . I have bad fomo ,having done the previous two .Epic can ruin a whole season for the XCO riders and somebody like vd Poel . This is one event .Vd Poel can win multiple events and do half a Grand tour in the same season . For a dedicated XCO rider it can help like it helped Langvad ,but you also need to be as strong as her and not many riders are  .Prevot had a bit of a wake-up call today 

Was it Pauline that battled or was Robyn struggling? I thought it an odd pairing as I don't see Robyn being at her peak anymore?

24 minutes ago, love2fly said:

Was it Pauline that battled or was Robyn struggling? I thought it an odd pairing as I don't see Robyn being at her peak anymore?

Pauline admitted on camera that she blew up ....

On the contrary, I think they can possibly click and give us some great racing in the next stages.

Edited by TheoG

29 minutes ago, TheoG said:

On the contrary, I think they can possibly click and give us some great racing in the next stages.

Pauline is there on a pre season training block base ride.

It wouldn't surprise me if she is there as BMC have just been properly re-introduced to the SA market, so a really nice swansong for a retiring 40 year old and a fantastic marketing base ride for PFP/BMC.

31 minutes ago, TheoG said:

Yeah, I’m also of the opinion that they can potentially be a great match. Just a question of form considering the late decision to partake. 

Haven’t read the thread yet, so this is not directed at anybody here.

From my various WhatsApp groups etc, it seems people are ONCE AGAIN whinging about the race being hard. WTF??? Every damn year. “It’s too hot, it’s too steep, it’s too this or that” 

Its the Catalina “Cape Epic” Wine mixer! FFS!! Go back to the driving range if you can’t handle it. There is no “handicap” system in cycling to sandbag, it’s just you and your legs!

Watch how they will soon let the ABSA VIP clients do it on eBikes…. 

4 minutes ago, Patchelicious said:

Haven’t read the thread yet, so this is not directed at anybody here.

From my various WhatsApp groups etc, it seems people are ONCE AGAIN whinging about the race being hard. WTF??? Every damn year. “It’s too hot, it’s too steep, it’s too this or that” 

Its the Catalina “Cape Epic” Wine mixer! FFS!! Go back to the driving range if you can’t handle it. There is no “handicap” system in cycling to sandbag, it’s just you and your legs!

Watch how they will soon let the ABSA VIP clients do it on eBikes…. 

Monitoring the responses ...... 🤪