Bibshorts repair

Jono

Looking for some advice on how to approach dealing with a damaged pair of Assos RS bibshorts.

Had a front tyre wash out followed by a little lie down. The bibshorts now have a nice R5 coin size hole on the one side, but are otherwise perfect. 

Options? I see Assos has a crash replacement / repair option on their website, anyone in SA tried this? Is there a seamstress in Cape Town, preferably southern suburbs that I should go to? Or any other ideas?

Stick on a piece of black strapping before you put them on? A 5m roll should last a few years 👌

Seriously though lycra should be easy to stitch together as it is so stretchy. 

• 1 year later...

thought I would share my experience with Assos.

Had two pairs of Equipe shorts where the padding was starting to fray / tear.

I took a chance and contacted them, they asked for some pics of both the padding and lycra to establish general condition of the shorts (which is good).

Long story short - I sent the items to them (at my cost) and they were repaired and couriered back to me (DHL express) at their expense at a cost of $80 for the two.

They were sent by a friend in the UK (cost to ship from SA to Switzerland is crazy) on the 22nd July and I received them today!

All in all a great outcome, considering that I bought them in 2016.

I bought something similar to this product https://www.gearaid.com/products/tenacious-tape-patch-neoprene (I ordered it from the Dive-Inn site, which is the same people as Bike-Inn). 

Although the Assos bib is now fully naked and only fit for indoor riding, that patch is still there and holding strong, many thousand sweaty K’s later. 

EDIT: I just found the tube and it is in fact exactly the same product as I shared in that link

Edited by NicholasT
Update.

28 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

thought I would share my experience with Assos.

Had two pairs of Equipe shorts where the padding was starting to fray / tear.

I took a chance and contacted them, they asked for some pics of both the padding and lycra to establish general condition of the shorts (which is good).

Long story short - I sent the items to them (at my cost) and they were repaired and couriered back to me (DHL express) at their expense at a cost of $80 for the two.

They were sent by a friend in the UK (cost to ship from SA to Switzerland is crazy) on the 22nd July and I received them today!

All in all a great outcome, considering that I bought them in 2016.

Wow. You must really love these bibs to still bother repairing them given they’re 7 years old.

41 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Wow. You must really love these bibs to still bother repairing them given they’re 7 years old.

Yeah, they were well looked after, so did not see the benefit of losing out on them

On 4/8/2022 at 11:02 AM, Jono said:

Looking for some advice on how to approach dealing with a damaged pair of Assos RS bibshorts.

Had a front tyre wash out followed by a little lie down. The bibshorts now have a nice R5 coin size hole on the one side, but are otherwise perfect. 

Options? I see Assos has a crash replacement / repair option on their website, anyone in SA tried this? Is there a seamstress in Cape Town, preferably southern suburbs that I should go to? Or any other ideas?

I'm not certain if Kyle still works at CWC, but I took a pair of damaged Assos bib shorts I had purchased from CWC back to them. Kyle at CWC facilitated the interaction with Assos South Africa, and they ended up sending me a new pair. Based on Kyle's explanation, Assos will assess the damage to the bib shorts and handle it accordingly - either a complete replacement, repair or a discount on new ones. It's worth reaching out to the bike shop where you bought them and see if they can provide assistance.

I had the exact same thing happen to me with new Assos bibs earlier this year. I stumbled across the crash replacement policy, contacted them and provided the necessary information (photos, details of crash etc). Because it was within the "new" timeframe, they sent me a full credit to order new bibs on their online store. They then ship it from Europe, and they even covered the full cost of delivery. Even when I got a call from customs asking for nearly R2000 for customs duty, I emailed Assos and they said they will cover that too!!! Bibs arrived a couple of weeks from starting the process. This experience alone has made me a massive fan of Assos - customer service was exceptional - nevermind the fact the bibs are the most comfortable bibs I have used (this is not a paid advertisement).

As for the repair - I obviously kept the damaged pair and recently took them to a local dry cleaner to check if they repair. They do. Small patch inside with some stitching visible from the outside, so a very neat job. That cost me like R150, and now have the extra pair of still very usable bibs. 

2 minutes ago, Dappere said:

I'm not certain if Kyle still works at CWC, but I took a pair of damaged Assos bib shorts I had purchased from CWC back to them. Kyle at CWC facilitated the interaction with Assos South Africa, and they ended up sending me a new pair. Based on Kyle's explanation, Assos will assess the damage to the bib shorts and handle it accordingly - either a complete replacement, repair or a discount on new ones. It's worth reaching out to the bike shop where you bought them and see if they can provide assistance.

I did get in contact with the retailer who contacted Assos South Africa. As the damage was clearly due to my error and not a defect they offered me a 10% discount. My mom stitched it up and did a wonderful job. Thanks mom! 😄

7 minutes ago, Mattman said:

I had the exact same thing happen to me with new Assos bibs earlier this year. I stumbled across the crash replacement policy, contacted them and provided the necessary information (photos, details of crash etc). Because it was within the "new" timeframe, they sent me a full credit to order new bibs on their online store. They then ship it from Europe, and they even covered the full cost of delivery. Even when I got a call from customs asking for nearly R2000 for customs duty, I emailed Assos and they said they will cover that too!!! Bibs arrived a couple of weeks from starting the process. This experience alone has made me a massive fan of Assos - customer service was exceptional - nevermind the fact the bibs are the most comfortable bibs I have used (this is not a paid advertisement).

As for the repair - I obviously kept the damaged pair and recently took them to a local dry cleaner to check if they repair. They do. Small patch inside with some stitching visible from the outside, so a very neat job. That cost me like R150, and now have the extra pair of still very usable bibs. 

That’s great to know. So contact Assos in Switzerland seems to be the way to go here.

7 minutes ago, Jono said:

I did get in contact with the retailer who contacted Assos South Africa. As the damage was clearly due to my error and not a defect they offered me a 10% discount. My mom stitched it up and did a wonderful job. Thanks mom! 😄

Mums are the best 😀. A 10% discount feels like a slap in the face. I hope you can get this sorted with Assos Switzerland.

23 minutes ago, Andreas_187 said:

Assos customer service in Switzerland has been shocking so far (for me). Very disappointed

I had to probe numerous times to get feedback on progress to be honest, but once the ball was rolling, things moved quickly.

found some of that neoprene patches at cape union mart, fixed my bibshorts and armwarmers. just make sure the iron is really hot (a bit hotter than what they recommend) and you should be good to go. if you wanna go the long way try the replacement process

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone had their bib shorts have small patches that become see-through?

I'm wondering if there is any way to patch these small spots. It would be a shame to throw out a perfectly good pair of bibs because of a tiny transparent spot. 

4 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

Has anyone had their bib shorts have small patches that become see-through?

I'm wondering if there is any way to patch these small spots. It would be a shame to throw out a perfectly good pair of bibs because of a tiny transparent spot. 

Yeah this is normally the time I decide to get rid of it. Once those see through spots become visible, for me at least the bib has run its course. You can fix it it if you want but I’d argue the chamois has probably seen better days as well.