Bibshorts repair

Jono

Looks like my Assoss experience was quite different to others. Bought mine at Northcliff cycles in September last year and at the Argus noticed the inside of the thighs were worn through. While my bike was at Northcliff for work I showed the damage to Alex to find out why this has happened. Turns out its the rails on the seat that stick out too far. Common problem apparently and only option was to get a new seat and redo a bike fit. So I accepted it was my fault and had to sort it out. I then stumbled on the Assoss web site and the repair policy. I contacted them and submitted photos and their response was simply to contact the bike shop that sold them. I didnt want a freebe or replacement but to buy a repair kit but that unfortunately wasnt available. So I took them to my local tailer and he sourced some lycra and sowed them onto the inside to at least give me some more life. A few weeks down the line now and shorts are ok. I have now started seeing his on another pair of shorts (ProXsision) - but on these shorts it took 2 years - not 5 - 6 rides.  Still need to sort out the seat but this will require a new seat post as well.     

31 minutes ago, Ryan I said:

Looks like my Assoss experience was quite different to others. Bought mine at Northcliff cycles in September last year and at the Argus noticed the inside of the thighs were worn through. While my bike was at Northcliff for work I showed the damage to Alex to find out why this has happened. Turns out its the rails on the seat that stick out too far. Common problem apparently and only option was to get a new seat and redo a bike fit. So I accepted it was my fault and had to sort it out. I then stumbled on the Assoss web site and the repair policy. I contacted them and submitted photos and their response was simply to contact the bike shop that sold them. I didnt want a freebe or replacement but to buy a repair kit but that unfortunately wasnt available. So I took them to my local tailer and he sourced some lycra and sowed them onto the inside to at least give me some more life. A few weeks down the line now and shorts are ok. I have now started seeing his on another pair of shorts (ProXsision) - but on these shorts it took 2 years - not 5 - 6 rides.  Still need to sort out the seat but this will require a new seat post as well.     

definitely a different experience indeed, I would have asked the store to perhaps facilitate the process, particularly since you bought it from them and quite "recently" at that as well..

On 9/18/2023 at 10:29 AM, Bub Marley said:

Yeah this is normally the time I decide to get rid of it. Once those see through spots become visible, for me at least the bib has run its course. You can fix it it if you want but I’d argue the chamois has probably seen better days as well.

Or just use them on solo rides when you don't want klingons following you into the wind...

I had a very bad experience with Assos bib shorts. I love my Assos big shorts and I find that they are very comfortable, but the local agents (J&J cycling) really dont deserve this agency. I had the seams come apart within a few months of the purchase (Only a handful of times riding the shorts). I didn't think it would be a big issue for a warranty claim (or even a warranty repair) because I only rode these a handful of times, and I treated the shorts like gold because of the price.

After many phone calls and emails going backwards and forward, they said they cannot return any bib shorts to Europe because of the transport costs and duties. They offered me a discount on a new pair. After complaining that it is not acceptable the discount went up. They made a final discount offer and that was that.

I took the offer (I had no choice) and went to CWC to get my new pair. I wanted to make sure on my new pairs sizing so I tried on a few different Assos models in front of the CWC sales rep.

What was amazing is he took a brand new pair out of the box and handed it to me. I checked where my stitching came loose and behold. In the exact same place on a brand new pair of Assos shorts the stitching had already come undone. I showed the sales person and they just packed it back into the box and placed it onto the shelf.

So, Assos shorts are really comfy and if you get a good pair then you are set. They probably have great service and warranty in Europe, but there is no warranty on Assos shorts in South Africa!

I got a mail from Castelli they are having a 50% off sale on spring bibs untill 1st October. If you are a Castelli fan then maybe some bargains to be had.Screenshot_20230921-131439-1.jpg.c044dfa3a1a73dbe415aee1b41fb4172.jpg