Events Bot

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 9 months later...

Hi guys.

This is the only forum i could find on this event. Was looking for some feedback on the 200miler. I have never ridden at Around the Pot and know it was a mud fest last year. I have done a 361 a couple of years ago, and was thinking it’s time for something like this again. Just general info and experience will be appreciated.

On 5/6/2023 at 2:11 PM, etienne_jordaan said:

Hi guys.

This is the only forum i could find on this event. Was looking for some feedback on the 200miler. I have never ridden at Around the Pot and know it was a mud fest last year. I have done a 361 a couple of years ago, and was thinking it’s time for something like this again. Just general info and experience will be appreciated.

I did the 100 last year. Everything was great, can't blame the weather on the organisation.

The newish pont stopped working which was a major issue, but I'm not sure if that is a regular thing/teething issues.

I'm considering doing the 200.

• 2 months later...

So, the 2023 event: 

I see accommodation in tents available at the showgrounds...is it possible to bring your own tent?

14 minutes ago, capediver said:

So, the 2023 event: 

I see accommodation in tents available at the showgrounds...is it possible to bring your own tent?

Last year they had a camp site for your own tent at the venue. Did not see own camping on their site/entry this year. Booked one plot last year and had a camper van and two tents pitched on it.

1 hour ago, capediver said:

So, the 2023 event: 

It is. Just adjust your order on the entry platform

YR shows very minimal rain on Saturday - 0.4mm 02h00-08h00. Low temperatures though, but a very mild wind / breeze.

Most of the rain is early Friday.

It's my first time (first gravel event as  well) - doing the 98km

Any particular reason this race HAVE to happen in July? Other than being nice prep for TB?

Such a lekker event but the mud/rain always an issue

Just now, cadenceblur said:

YR shows very minimal rain on Saturday - 0.4mm 02h00-08h00. Low temperatures though, but a very mild wind / breeze.

Problem not so much the rain on Saturday but the state of the roads after Friday's rain

I've got 5 long term Swellendam forecasts going, all different :)

The more concerning thing is that all 5 forecasts have gotten worse (colder, wetter) over the last 5 days.

Doesn't bode well.

Oh well, at least I'm not going to be wondering if I should put slicker tyres on...

1 hour ago, cadenceblur said:

eeeee, mine too! Dammit, I saw video's of last year..hope its not going to be like that!

1 hour ago, Skubarra said:

Any particular reason this race HAVE to happen in July? Other than being nice prep for TB?

Such a lekker event but the mud/rain always an issue

because Africa is not a continent for sissies

We’ve had above ave rain the last couple of weeks in the Overberg ( just like the rest of the Western Cape). The road conditions are probably not gonna be great. I’m doing the 200miler. By the current weather trend it is going to be chilly, that on it self needs to be managed. Wouldn’t complain if it can at least be dry.