Buying a bike in Europe

Jan Horn

Hi guys

i am considering purchasing a Canyon bicycle but the trick is that they don't ship to RSA and getting it here involves, duties, VAT and excessive couries costs.

It seems that it would be cheaper to fly to Germany collects the bike (its in parts not built) and fly back under the impression that anyone is allowed to travel with their bicycle right?

How does this differe from me taking my bike to Europe for a cycling event? surely I can travel with my bike - how would anyone know that i didnt buy the bike in SA and travel with it to Europe and back. 

If you take a bike with you, you should declare it before leaving, so that when you return they cannot charge you duties. If the bike is modified, they will be entitled to charge duties based on the additional value.

Will they pick it up? Probably not, but are you willing to risk being penalised if caught?

This may help you.
https://www.sars.gov.za/customs-and-excise/travellers/inspections-for-travellers/

https://www.sars.gov.za/wp-content/uploads/Ops/Policies/SC-PA-01-11-Traveller-Processing-External-Policy.pdf

If you do buy it in Germany you'll pay their VAT there (19%). You can claim it back at the airport as an export, but then your details are on record as export, and if the countries share their customs data then you'll be liable for import duties and customs ATV.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

If you take a bike with you, you should declare it before leaving, so that when you return they cannot charge you duties. If the bike is modified, they will be entitled to charge duties based on the additional value.

Will they pick it up? Probably not, but are you willing to risk being penalised if caught?

This may help you.
https://www.sars.gov.za/customs-and-excise/travellers/inspections-for-travellers/

https://www.sars.gov.za/wp-content/uploads/Ops/Policies/SC-PA-01-11-Traveller-Processing-External-Policy.pdf

Ive travelled from South Africa to many different countries and back in the last ten years with my bikes and have never declared a bike when leaving here and have never been charged duties of any sort on my return. Good idea to buy it there - many bargains all over the place outside of SA.

6 minutes ago, TheAntoine1 said:

Ive travelled from South Africa to many different countries and back in the last ten years with my bikes and have never declared a bike when leaving here and have never been charged duties of any sort on my return. Good idea to buy it there - many bargains all over the place outside of SA.

buy the bike they said...

13 minutes ago, TheAntoine1 said:

They normally ask you what is in the box or bike bag at check in, that probably counts as declaration?

From my experience I would say, hypothetically of course, that one might wish to take out a very low value bicycle, or perhaps a frame that needs to be mended in the destination country. This of course would be declared on the way out.

Ideally, again hypothetically, it would be declared as the bike one would be returning with. 

This is what I am told the pros used to do that would regularly travel overseas, in a thought experiment of course. 

Personally I would just buy a pyga as they seem very well specced and you avoid most of that pesky duty stuff and the tax man hounding you.

2 hours ago, stephenplumb said:

From my experience I would say, hypothetically of course, that one might wish to take out a very low value bicycle, or perhaps a frame that needs to be mended in the destination country. This of course would be declared on the way out.

Ideally, again hypothetically, it would be declared as the bike one would be returning with. 

This is what I am told the pros used to do that would regularly travel overseas, in a thought experiment of course. 

Personally I would just buy a pyga as they seem very well specced and you avoid most of that pesky duty stuff and the tax man hounding you.

funny you say that because the Pyga slakline is my plan B...

22 minutes ago, Jan Horn said:

I have a hyrax, that I really enjoy and my son has a slackline that he seems to enjoy even more. I found Dean at pyga was very nice to deal with and they were able to deliver a bike within two weeks of ordering. 

35 minutes ago, Jan Horn said:

11 minutes ago, stephenplumb said:

I have a hyrax, that I really enjoy and my son has a slackline that he seems to enjoy even more. I found Dean at pyga was very nice to deal with and they were able to deliver a bike within two weeks of ordering. 

Slakline is an amazing bike! great climber, and even better descender. Sure climbs better than my friend's torque lol. Also the hyrax is just a slakline frame with a shorter travel fork and shorter rear shock stroke.

I definitely agree, talk to Dean. Just got a fresh slakline frame from him, arriving tomorrow!

Another thing to consider is getting parts for the canyon and the warranty may be difficult, because they are overseas. 

4 hours ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

Slakline is an amazing bike! great climber, and even better descender. Sure climbs better than my friend's torque lol. Also the hyrax is just a slakline frame with a shorter travel fork and shorter rear shock stroke.

I definitely agree, talk to Dean. Just got a fresh slakline frame from him, arriving tomorrow!

Another thing to consider is getting parts for the canyon and the warranty may be difficult, because they are overseas. 

Many years ago I would have regarded myself as a pretty decent climber. Not exceptional, but good enough to make some pain in a roadie group. My son, riding his slakline, battles to ride slow enough for me these days with his Slakline. 

I am blaming covid lung, but it is mainly just increased bulk and complete lack of fitness, both of which are enemies of hills. It is quite demoralising when he rides past me with such contemptuous ease.

Anyway, good luck with the choice. Don't think your plan B is a poor choice.

Edited by stephenplumb